Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 12:33 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
One of my favorite places to visit was Olvera Street, the original center of la Puebla del Nuestra Senora de la Reina de los Angeles del Rio Porculina.

I heard they were going to close or demolish it and I certainly hope that isn't the case. Of course, they do some truly insane and crazy things in the Reepublik aus Kaleefornya.
I heard the Bellagio was going to be imploded and filled with nuclear waste. Some guy told me that, so I guess its plausible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 12:35 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,921 times
Quote:
One of my favorite places to visit was Olvera Street, the original center of la Puebla del Nuestra Senora de la Reina de los Angeles del Rio Porculina.

I heard they were going to close or demolish it and I certainly hope that isn't the case. Of course, they do some truly insane and crazy things in the Reepublik aus Kaleefornya.

That is 100% false...They just did restoration work there. Very Misinformed.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:46 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,370 times
While DTLA has well-established bars by now, I have to say none of them are that much fun to frequent anymore. 7 and Grand used to be a real Whiskey tasting type bar which has now been infected by USC bros. The Association, One-Eyed Gypsy, and The Lash have laughable nightlife crowds as well.

I wonder -- does anybody know if Bar 107 still has Yacht Rock night? That place might still be cool.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:54 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Good to know that DTLA has transformed substantially since I left 9 years ago.

Just curious, if one wants to visit DTLA, what is the area to see (in terms of shopping, events, nightlife etc), and what's the area to avoid?

Is there a general rule of thumb, for example, south of XX street is sketchy while between Y st and Z st it is pretty nice and vibrant? From the map, it looks 3-8 street.

Is the North side and West side nicer than south and East? (this seems to be true for LA as a whole)

Old 01-03-2014, 12:55 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
That is 100% false...They just did restoration work there. Very Misinformed.
Thanks very much!

The last time is was in Smogville, it was raining and we found all but one place in the district closed! Quite sad for us.

I am a serious student of California history and always love that place. At one time, the tree in the middle of the plaza had been there in the late 1700s when the pueblo was founded.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Good to know that DTLA has transformed substantially since I left 9 years ago.

Just curious, if one wants to visit DTLA, what is the area to see (in terms of shopping, events, nightlife etc), and what's the area to avoid?

Is there a general rule of thumb, for example, south of XX street is sketchy while between Y st and Z st it is pretty nice and vibrant? From the map, it looks 3-8 street.

Is the North side and West side nicer than south and East? (this seems to be true for LA as a whole)
Basically don't go east of Los Angeles street unless your above 3rd st.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:16 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,563 times
Quote:
Basically don't go east of Los Angeles street unless your above 3rd st.
Little bit racist are we?

East Los Angeles - or as my Mexican wife calls is "Little Tijuana" - is filled with interesting stores, shops, and outstanding restaurants. You will be warmly welcomed if you just show a bit of respect for the Hispanic customs.

Of course, I wouldn't be going onto side streets or staying much past 9pm.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:

East Los Angeles - or as my Mexican wife calls is "Little Tijuana" - is filled with interesting stores, shops, and outstanding restaurants. You will be warmly welcomed if you just show a bit of respect for the Hispanic customs.

Da Fuq? i was talking about DTLA not East LA.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:58 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,627,657 times
Quote:

You horribly misread what OP wrote.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:15 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
da fuq? I was talking about dtla not east la.
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles