Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 05:25 PM

546 posts, read 817,831 times

Advertisements

Never could get access to the WSJ article. I recall a NYT's piece from a few years ago. The focus was on LA Live...and how it could be LA's answer to Times Square. At which point you immediately give that paper to your next door neighbor so he or she can use it for kitty litter. Not nearly as good as an informed write up.

This blogger/writer/observer has some good stuff:
DTLA RISING with Brigham Yen

I'd still like to read the WSJ article....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 06:06 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,008 times
"America's Next Great City Is Inside L.A." (GQ Magazine) article about downtown LA's revival and unlike the WSJ article-everyone should be able to access this 1-

America's Next Great City Is Downtown L.A.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:05 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Downtown L.A.'s South Park catching a wave of new development - latimes.com

Old 02-06-2014, 07:33 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,008 times
Tallest building in western U.S. to start with big pour

A very tall building is about to be built in downtown LA

Old 02-06-2014, 11:54 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,170,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Basically don't go east of Los Angeles street unless your above 3rd st.
Sheesh! That's my favorite area! The Fashion District runs east of LA Street out to Alameda. There are tons of new showrooms out there.

I love all the new development but I hope this doesn't destroy the Jewelry District, the Fashion District, the Flower District, etc.

If they want to keep upgrading DTLA, I hope they extend this South of the 10 and leave east of Los Angeles St. alone!!

Old 02-06-2014, 12:32 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
My family loves down town. We visit from Oxnard maybe a couple times a month. I think it would be fun to live down there. Not leaving our home anytime soon, but I would not have a problem suggeting the Downtown area as a place to live.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:38 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Sheesh! That's my favorite area! The Fashion District runs east of LA Street out to Alameda. There are tons of new showrooms out there.

I love all the new development but I hope this doesn't destroy the Jewelry District, the Fashion District, the Flower District, etc.

If they want to keep upgrading DTLA, I hope they extend this South of the 10 and leave east of Los Angeles St. alone!!
I think that poster was referring to Skid Row. South of 7th / 8th / 9th Streets it starts to become less of a wasteland.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:04 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixmike11 View Post
Tallest building in western U.S. to start with big pour

A very tall building is about to be built in downtown LA
Tall Building , Tall Building. Now we can brag to NYC that we have a lot of tall buildings too.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:05 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post

I know, right? That's the DTLA I know, always active, and I'm not even into shopping much less wholesale shopping. What I'd like to see is those districts evolve into better versions of themselves rather than something new. Here's an empty building on Los Angeles Street, for example: Grether & Grether Building. Instead of more condos/apartments, could they not open the first three floors to showrooms? The top floors could still be residential. The rooftop could be for runway shows. It's L.A. With our weather we need to use the rooftops of our lowrises, of which there are so many.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:13 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,885,496 times
I will always stand by the opinion that the ultimate tragedy in the US was that LA was built during the rise of the automobile. If there were any geographic location and climate that warranted a city built as dense as Paris/NYC/London/Tokyo, it is the location where LA/SM/Long Beach/BH rests now. Instead of urban centers, LA has urban boulevards extending westward from Downtown.

While LA's urban planning might appeal to some, I always wished that it had been planned more akin to older cities.

Alas, we can only press forward. The revival of DTLA is excellent and I hope that density spreads down LA's boulevards at the same rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles