Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2014, 04:04 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,387,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
That would be interesting to know...

I think there is AMAZING diversity when it comes to the options that DTLA provides...Rich, Poor, Upscale, Dive-bar, Clubs, Roof-top Bars, Speakeasies, Arcades, vodka bar, rum bar, whisky bars, tequila bar, live music...

I know there is going to be at least one more bar coming into the Arts District pretty soon by Cedd Moses (7Grand, Golden Golpher etc.) which is suppose to be a brewery with a bunch of skeeball games. So, That is something else to look out for.
I'm curious about a few things.

Does it make any sense to ask what these New Downtowners do for living? I know, it varies, but are a bunch of them in sales? Finance? Tech? The arts? How many of the people who live downtown also work there?

And the vast VAST majority rent, right? I keep seeing articles about the scarcity of condos.

Are the weekend crowds starting to be a PITA for the residents, with the added noise and congestion? Similar to "B&T" types in NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 04:09 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,170,379 times
Quote:
That place is pretty awesome I must say...Great selection of old-school arcade games. Drinks are expensive but that's why you pre-game right?
Exactly! Looking forward to the nostalgia factor on the games and pinball.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:36 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Yeah I have heard of that brewery complex Cedd Moses is planning. A little while back I did a craft beer crawl that 213 Nightlife (Cedd Mose's company) had put on. Crazy how many places he owns, it looks like around 10 places or so!

I just looked at their site and saw they had a Pizza place
Pellicola Pizzeria – By the Pie; By the Slice — 213 Nightlife

Looks like it just opened in Jan 2014. Pellicola Pizzeria - Downtown - Los Angeles, CA | Yelp

He was definitely a pretty early pioneer in the area.

That is true about the diversity of places , it definitely wouldn't be as interesting if the area was all upscale places or just a bunch of dive bars (although I do tend to like dive bars better than the upscale places).

This is an interesting short clip that features Cedd Moses, and two other restaurant guys from 2010.
It's interesting as the managing partner of Roy's said everyone told him don't open in DTLA...you won't do well..and now thats the top Roy's location in sales.
Interesting too as the other guy (with british accent) says how it used to be a handful of expensive places that the theater group would go to,and now more diversity...of course a lot has changed since 2010 too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOM7eECj-h8

Old 04-03-2014, 08:04 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,528 times
Looks like they found some money via Quimby Fees to build a park on the empty lot next to Grand Park at 1st & Broadway. This will be great and hopefully they can add some recreational elements (I would love to see basketball courts). Construction Starts April 7th.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:32 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Must be nice to " find " $4.3 million.

Also doesn't it seem like politicians always want to build parks ? Parks are nice but I think it's just so they can slap their names on it .

Old 04-04-2014, 09:17 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,603 times
Quote:
That would be interesting to know...

I think there is AMAZING diversity when it comes to the options that DTLA provides...Rich, Poor, Upscale, Dive-bar, Clubs, Roof-top Bars, Speakeasies, Arcades, vodka bar, rum bar, whisky bars, tequila bar, live music...

I know there is going to be at least one more bar coming into the Arts District pretty soon by Cedd Moses (7Grand, Golden Golpher etc.) which is suppose to be a brewery with a bunch of skeeball games. So, That is something else to look out for.
You just made my day. I grew up in Jersey, and trips to the shore in the summer, playing skeeball at the boardwalk arcades is a right of passage.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Must be nice to " find " $4.3 million.

Also doesn't it seem like politicians always want to build parks ? Parks are nice but I think it's just so they can slap their names on it .

Yes, but in this case that lot has been vacant for over 30 years. It will also act as an extension to Grand Park so I just want to see that eyesore gone.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:00 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Yes, but in this case that lot has been vacant for over 30 years. It will also act as an extension to Grand Park so I just want to see that eyesore gone.
You don't want to have ugly busted up land sitting there and depressing the value of the area. It needs to be used, redeveloped, or turned into natural space/parkland.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:28 PM

Beelman's Pub, which takes over the former coffee bar space on Spring st. opens in May.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:19 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,603 times
Quote:
Beelman's Pub, which takes over the former coffee bar space on Spring st. opens in May.
I hope the pub is good but so far I'm not digging the brick veneer they put up on the outside wall. It does not match the green paint on SB Tower at all. The reclaimed wood that CoffeeBar put up looked much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles