Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 05:16 PM

18 posts, read 20,154 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm a 27 single male with a bachelors degree in Business and 10 years of retail experience as manager and buyer.

I have grown unhappy over the past year with lack of opportunity to grow at my current position and i've grown unhappy overall with just my whole bland life situation, besides my loving family I don't have many reasons to stay. I am very intrigued by CA and it's somewhere I would like to consider to live to begin a new chapter of my life.

I would of personally picked SF or SD but I have been job searching and it looks like Beverly hills has a lot of the main retail stores that I think I'd quality for a management position in. Stores such as Saks, Nordstroms, Neiman marcus etc. My plan was to apply to the positions I am interested and if I can get hired at one of these jobs to move there by myself. I would be driving from south of detroit to there.

I have around 10k saved and would like to find a job making around 40-50k to start. Do you think I can make it comfortably alone for awhile? I would not want to live in Beverley hills because of the prices but if you could please recommend some near cities that I could travel to work and make it there within 30 minutes preferably.

Thanks for your time..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 05:31 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,921 times
How much do you want to spend for an apt? Just know that rule #1 in LA is to live close to where you work.

Check out Padmapper.com for rental prices around LA
&
walkscore.com for amenities in each area.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:38 PM

okay thanks I didn't know that. Over here its different because traffic is so easy. But I just need a one bedroom apartment. Its crazy the price difference because over here 1 bed room is like 600 but over there its 1500. I think 1500 is my max for a 1 bedroom for me. Are you familiar with the Beverley hills shopping area that I'm speaking about?

Old 01-01-2014, 05:51 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmamba04 View Post
okay thanks I didn't know that. Over here its different because traffic is so easy. But I just need a one bedroom apartment. Its crazy the price difference because over here 1 bed room is like 600 but over there its 1500. I think 1500 is my max for a 1 bedroom for me. Are you familiar with the Beverley hills shopping area that I'm speaking about?
All the most popular cities to live in are expensive. LA is actually cheaper the NYC, SF, & DC. I wouldn't recommend living in Beverly Hills because it is quite boring there. If I were you, I would look at Beverly Grove, Miracle Mile, Mid-City, & K-town. K-town would be the furthest east I would go. I think the Westside is traffic clogged and boring except the beach areas.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:59 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Those same stores are in MANY malls in SoCal. There are even Saks and Nordstrom outlet stores around. So you are hardly limited to a particular area

Old 01-01-2014, 06:03 PM

Okay maybe just the ones that had openings were all in beverly hills I'll keep looking. Does anyone have a recommendation for the best spot a single male can live in the state?

Old 01-01-2014, 06:56 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,387,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmamba04 View Post
Okay maybe just the ones that had openings were all in beverly hills I'll keep looking. Does anyone have a recommendation for the best spot a single male can live in the state?
Depends on your interests

Old 01-01-2014, 07:08 PM

lol I mean i'm trying to live life an start a career as well. Life is so boring where I'm at. Im looking for a area with activities to do and a good scene to meet more people.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:35 PM

150 posts, read 281,673 times
You are smart doing as much research as you can. I think moving to a big city can be very rewarding, and full of great experiences. If you are able to find something along the northern hills anywhere from Santa Monica going East to Pasadena, most of these places are awesome. Even the South valley like Sherman Oaks and Studio city are really cool places. If possible do a test run first. Get a list together on Craiglist and go look at some of the places. The more time you have to look around pre-move, I think the better your chance of finding an ideal situation for yourself.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:24 AM

ok thanks. I do think this will be a great opportunity for me. I believe I am talented at what I do and can do big things in a situation with more opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles