Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 10:44 PM

11 posts, read 21,054 times

Advertisements

I figured I'd resurrect this thread as this situation now pertains to my family and I. And also to see if things have changed in the past (almost) 3 years since this thread was started.

A little background:

We're a family of 4 with two young children (ages 3 and 1). Wife is a stay-at-home mom. We'd like to move to Pasadena from Long Beach. We found a house in the 1800 block of Navarro Ave going for about $780k (for those unfamiliar, it's between Lincoln and Fair Oaks, a couple blocks south of Woodbury).

I grew up in Walnut, Downey, and now live in Long Beach, and work in West LA, so I'd like to think I'm well versed in various parts of So Cal. Though, Pasadena is one area where I'm lacking. After reading through this thread (and several other threads on the same subject), I've gathered NW Pasadena isn't the most desirable area (some exceptions, of course).

Having said that, does anyone have any thoughts on that specific location of Navarro and the immediate surrounding vicinity? My first impression of the street was not great. A lot of front yards were fenced in, some houses had bars on the windows, and also the street had speed bumps.

Wife loves the house, but I'm not completely sold on it. Anyway, would love your feedback on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 11:19 PM

406 posts, read 347,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9volt View Post
I figured I'd resurrect this thread as this situation now pertains to my family and I. And also to see if things have changed in the past (almost) 3 years since this thread was started.

A little background:

We're a family of 4 with two young children (ages 3 and 1). Wife is a stay-at-home mom. We'd like to move to Pasadena from Long Beach. We found a house in the 1800 block of Navarro Ave going for about $780k (for those unfamiliar, it's between Lincoln and Fair Oaks, a couple blocks south of Woodbury).

I grew up in Walnut, Downey, and now live in Long Beach, and work in West LA, so I'd like to think I'm well versed in various parts of So Cal. Though, Pasadena is one area where I'm lacking. After reading through this thread (and several other threads on the same subject), I've gathered NW Pasadena isn't the most desirable area (some exceptions, of course).

Having said that, does anyone have any thoughts on that specific location of Navarro and the immediate surrounding vicinity? My first impression of the street was not great. A lot of front yards were fenced in, some houses had bars on the windows, and also the street had speed bumps.

Wife loves the house, but I'm not completely sold on it. Anyway, would love your feedback on this.
I'm assuming it's this listing
1825 Navarro Ave, Pasadena, CA 91103 | MLS #TR16197932 | Zillow

Really nice looking home and only $350 bucks a s.f. which is cheap these days. And there's a reason for it.

The surrounding area is definitely not great. Though it has improved over the last 25 years and transitioned from a heavy black neighborhood to a more diverse area with a large influx of Hispanics over the past decades.

But you're definitely getting a nice house for that price and I can see why your wife likes it. Honestly if I were you, I would go knocking on doors up and down the street and see what the neighbors are like. I think a lot depends on your level of comfort, and if you need a really nice area right now, or are willing to help live in a transitioning area.

FYI Summit Ave is BAD news and probably ground zero for crime in the area. I'm not completely familiar with Navarro or Glen, but historically they're pretty rough streets.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippityhop View Post
Yep, that's the one.

I agree, it's a nice house. You could even make the argument it's the nicest house on that block of Navarro.

But yeah, I just don't get a good vibe from that area. Thanks for your insight.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:08 AM

26,658 posts, read 26,627,701 times
Quote:
Not the safest area, as mentioned above. Also, if your kids attend PUSD in a couple of years, you'll be dealing with much lower ranking schools than many public school districts in the surrounding cities.

And as an aside, you never want to buy the best house in a not so great area. You want the not so great house in the best area.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:03 PM

176 posts, read 176,392 times
Quote:
Yep, that's the one.

I agree, it's a nice house. You could even make the argument it's the nicest house on that block of Navarro.

But yeah, I just don't get a good vibe from that area. Thanks for your insight.
Don't ever EVER buy the nicest house on the block. Bad idea........unless you like to overpay.

I have a friend who lives in Summit, as I used to live near Lake/Washington

There is no way in hell I would have toddlers in that area.

I wouldn'tetc my step son play in the front yard at my old house.

Old 12-09-2016, 12:16 AM

Forgot about the nicest house on the block thing. Yikes.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully I can get my wife to see the light.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:07 AM

51 posts, read 51,996 times
I moved from Pasadena last spring. It's quite expensive, but so is most of California. Areas to avoid are north of the 210, around N Lake- N Villa near the Villa Parke community center is getting flooded with crime and homeless people.
Of course south Pasadena around Huntington is very nice. Even some of the apartments on E Colorado Blvd aren't the best.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:10 AM

51 posts, read 51,996 times
Stay away from the Woodbury area. Washington Blvd, N Lake, Villa St- not good. Why not try Altadena??

Old 12-09-2016, 05:27 AM

26,658 posts, read 26,627,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead4 View Post
Of course south Pasadena around Huntington is very nice.
You will not find much in an affordable price range in South Pasadena, which has MUCH better public school system than Pasadena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles