Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2014, 01:48 PM

3,528 posts, read 6,528,901 times

Advertisements

I've visited CalTech in Pasadena. I wasn't sure what to look at, just buildings and a gift store.

Is there a big cafeteria that is open to the public? If so, what is it? I did see a smaller cafe thing.

What is the biggest library on the campus? Is it open to the public?
Moffitt Library in Berkeley used to be open to the public. They restricted it around 1987 because too many students from other schools used it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 03:32 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,889 times
I never attended Caltech as a student, but I did go to high school across the street so I have been around the campus quite a bit. It's definitely a very cool place and its always interesting to go to the labs where some amazing discoveries were made.

Food - Chandler Dining Hall
Library - Millikan Library
Both of these are open to the public.

If you're going to check out the campus again I would recommend you go see the Athenaeum and all the Gardens/Ponds outside the Library.

Here's a good map
Campus Map | Caltech

Old 01-08-2014, 07:41 PM

23,533 posts, read 24,022,219 times
Lots of areas "around" Cal Tech that may appeal to you: Pasadena Old Town, Huntington Library (which is in San Marino), The Rose Bowl, City Hall Pasadena (nice area near Old Town).

Old 01-13-2014, 08:40 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,516,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I've visited CalTech in Pasadena. I wasn't sure what to look at, just buildings and a gift store.

Is there a big cafeteria that is open to the public? If so, what is it? I did see a smaller cafe thing.
Most campuses I've ever seen have some kind of cafe or restaurant where anyone can go. Usually if they take money they'll take it from anyone.
Quote:

(BTW it's Moffatt, I think.)
What is the biggest library on the campus? Is it open to the public?
Moffitt Library in Berkeley used to be open to the public. They restricted it around 1987 because too many students from other schools used it.
I didn't know it was that long ago that they barred the public. Especially for state supported--albeit now just barely--universities, I think the idea of completely excluding the public would have once been anathema. When I was in library school from 1982 to '84 an "academic" library was understood to be different from a truly "private" library, as in one belonging to a particular firm or private club. Of course it was also understood that the public couldn't just wander in and borrow books, at least not before they paid twenty or thirty bucks for a year's membership in the Friends Of The Library, but they were allowed to go inside and have some access to the collection.

A librarian with whom I'm acquainted on another message board had been attending some sort of regional librarians' gathering at a well known private college. Somewhere in the proceedings somebody suggested a tour of the main library--but they couldn't do it because a campus ID was required to get in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles