Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 09:38 AM

4 posts, read 13,009 times

Advertisements

My landlord has never given us a rental receipt, and only accepts cash.

We were also never given a rental agreement.

Now he wants to raise the rent and I've refused, so he's served us with a three day notice.

Can he evict us?

The property is in his wife's name.

The property is cottage style, meaning, everyone on the property has their own little building.

Do I have any recourse to block an eviction?

I was on State Disability due to depression and am currently taking medication, can I submit that to the court to avoid eviction?

Can I hire a building inspector to initiate or, reporting him to the housing department for renting after he's designated the property as something other than what he's using it for to avoid paying taxes?

Pretty sure he's money laundering and has a medical clinic that engages in medicare fraud as well.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by samspalmer; 01-12-2014 at 10:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 11:05 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,547,571 times
The landlord has the right to raise the rent. There may be limitations on how often and by how much, depending on whether or not you're under rent control.

The City of Los Angeles is under rent control, but only for buildings (apartments, duplexes, but not single family homes) with a certificate of occupancy on or before October 1, 1978. Every year the Rent Board Stabilization decides how much the rent can increase; this is always between 3% and 8%, and it goes from July 1st through June 30th of the following year.

Otherwise, if your building is not rent controlled, the landlord has to give a written 30-day notice to increase the rent up to 10%. If the rent increase is 10% or more within a 12-month period, the landlord has to give a written 60-day notice under California law. However, there is no limit on how much your rent can increase.

For your own protection, you should have gotten receipts if you're paying rent in cash. This could become a "who said what" argument in court, and I don't know if you'd win.

You can find more information here:

RSO Publications and Forms

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/l...des/lt-2.shtml

I also found this regarding evictions:

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/can-lan...nia-49395.html

Last edited by SandyCo; 01-12-2014 at 11:18 AM..

Old 01-12-2014, 11:31 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,936,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samspalmer View Post
My landlord has never given us a rental receipt
We were also never given a rental agreement.
That's your fault for not insisting.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
The landlord has the right to raise the rent. There may be limitations on how often and by how much, depending on whether or not you're under rent control.

The City of Los Angeles is under rent control, but only for buildings (apartments, duplexes, but not single family homes) with a certificate of occupancy on or before October 1, 1978. Every year the Rent Board Stabilization decides how much the rent can increase; this is always between 3% and 8%, and it goes from July 1st through June 30th of the following year.

Otherwise, if your building is not rent controlled, the landlord has to give a written 30-day notice to increase the rent up to 10%. If the rent increase is 10% or more within a 12-month period, the landlord has to give a written 60-day notice under California law. However, there is no limit on how much your rent can increase.

For your own protection, you should have gotten receipts if you're paying rent in cash. This could become a "who said what" argument in court, and I don't know if you'd win.

You can find more information here:

RSO Publications and Forms

Rent Increases: Basic Information for Tenants: Legal Guide LT-2 - California Department of Consumer Affairs

I also found this regarding evictions:

Can Landlords Issue Eviction Notices Without a Written Contract in California? | Home Guides | SF Gate
@Sandy

Thanks for the info.

Any idea if I have any recourse if there is no Declaration of Registration nor has complied with the Rent Stabilization Ordinance on the property?

Pretty sure the landlord isn't claiming the property as rental units with the city or the IRS.

Last edited by samspalmer; 01-12-2014 at 12:00 PM..

Old 01-12-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
That's your fault for not insisting.
I know Font, live and learn.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:55 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,038,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samspalmer View Post
Any idea if I have any recourse if there is no Declaration of Registration on the property? Pretty sure the landlord isn't claiming the property as rental units with the city or the IRS.

How Do You Report Suspected Tax Fraud Activity?

Old 01-12-2014, 11:56 AM

8,548 posts, read 10,971,365 times
Where you stated "everyone has their own little building", that tells me there are at least three houses on the lot, which would put it under rent control.
You don't have a leg to stand on regarding the rent increase, unless it is more than the three percent rent control allows.
If the increase is within the guidelines set up by the rent stabilization board, either you accept it or move.
It is just that simple.
This business of turning him in to some city department is futile at best.
Judges don't want , and in fact won't listen to this nonsense of this sort from a tenant.
Early on in my career in property management, as a learning tool, I spent many hours in courts downtown listening to landlord, tenant disputes.
I can't count the times tenants brought up something that had absolutely nothing to do with why they were not paying rent.
More often than not, unless the tenant could prove a health hazard existed, the judge would not even discuss the allegation put fourth by the tenant.
Now, back to your case.
Just because there is no rental agreement,doers not mean the rent can't be raised (within guidelines).
Your health condition has absolutely no bearing on your ability to pay a rent increase, nor is it a reason for a judge to deny a rent increase.
My advice, insist on a written rental agreement, then pay your rent, and get a receipt for what you pay.
Your only other choice would be to move.
Bob.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:04 PM

434 posts, read 1,018,864 times
If you're in Los Angeles, you also could take in one of Coalition for Economic Survival's free tenants rights clinics, which include one on one counseling with an attorney.

CES Tenants' Rights Clinic

I suggest arriving at least a half hour early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: