Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 03:41 PM

496 posts, read 574,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
Had to laugh at this comment. Well, they used to call Long Beach "Iowa-by-the-Sea" since there was so many people from Iowa that settled there after World War II. Might have also been aimed at the character of the city as well.

Yes, San Diego is a nice and clean city. I love Balboa Park and of course the coast is really nice. But outside of downtown San Diego, Hillcrest, La Jolla and maybe North Park the neighborhoods are pretty bland and boring.
is it all that clean?? (im just messing with u) lolol ( i think we spoke before about this topic)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 04:52 PM

72 posts, read 40,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
I think the hate & jealousy about Los Angeles comes from this fictional fantasy that Hollywood created.People don't know the real Los Angeles when they visit here,Plus it's always being compared to New York when in reality it's way bigger & diverse than New york on a core level. From beaches to mountains to lakes there's really no city in America like it .
Beaches and mountains? A constant point that is often brought up... There's nothing really spectacular about the beaches and mountains around LA. There are no lakes, just reservoirs and the "rivers" are dry sand beds.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:45 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Vitamin View Post
Beaches and mountains? A constant point that is often brought up... There's nothing really spectacular about the beaches and mountains around LA. There are no lakes, just reservoirs and the "rivers" are dry sand beds.
Of all the the hackneyed take-downs leveled at Los Angeles, this has got to be the most feeble. One of the largest cities on the planet is situated in a county rising from sea level to over 10,000 feet in a benign climactic zone found on only 2% of the globe's landmass. Because of that rare climate- which is also why millions have been drawn to live here in the first place- the indigenous flora is characterized by chaparral. Unable to understand that plant community and its context, much less appreciate its own beauty, yokels regularly denigrate it because it does not exactly match the vegetation from whence they came. Those mountains run transverse into the ocean-another rarity found maybe nowhere else- creating everything from sandy beaches with bikini clad lovelies in winter to rocky headlands to sharp cliffs to a National Park in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. No other city in the world has these particular traits, but instead of appreciating those pleasant realities, some feel compelled to denigrate these features because, lemme guess, those mountains aren't "lush" and the ocean is "freezing". Your personal biased aesthetic doesn't change a damned thing.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:26 PM

4,662 posts, read 4,544,919 times
Quote:
What's in New York that can't be found in Los Angeles ?
enough water? That's one of my biggest concerns. I hope someone comes up with a good solution.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:40 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
enough water? That's one of my biggest concerns. I hope someone comes up with a good solution.
Stop eating meat.

COWSPIRACY: The Sustainability Secret

"Californians use 1500 gallons of water per person per day. Close to Half is associated with meat and dairy products
."
Pacific Institute, "California's Water Footprint"
http://pacinst.org/wp-content/upload...ll_report3.pdf

Old 04-19-2015, 03:35 AM

496 posts, read 574,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Of all the the hackneyed take-downs leveled at Los Angeles, this has got to be the most feeble. One of the largest cities on the planet is situated in a county rising from sea level to over 10,000 feet in a benign climactic zone found on only 2% of the globe's landmass. Because of that rare climate- which is also why millions have been drawn to live here in the first place- the indigenous flora is characterized by chaparral. Unable to understand that plant community and its context, much less appreciate its own beauty, yokels regularly denigrate it because it does not exactly match the vegetation from whence they came. Those mountains run transverse into the ocean-another rarity found maybe nowhere else- creating everything from sandy beaches with bikini clad lovelies in winter to rocky headlands to sharp cliffs to a National Park in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. No other city in the world has these particular traits, but instead of appreciating those pleasant realities, some feel compelled to denigrate these features because, lemme guess, those mountains aren't "lush" and the ocean is "freezing". Your personal biased aesthetic doesn't change a damned thing.
this response was pretty cool nice!

Old 04-19-2015, 08:36 AM

8,326 posts, read 6,417,109 times
People degenerate these features because of the liberal Communist Democrat party total control has absolutely destroyed what once was a great state and city.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:26 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,408,064 times
Quote:
What's in New York that can't be found in Los Angeles ?

And let's not say public transportation lol,Los Angeles was built to be a car capital metropolis,Better to be driving a nice corvette with the a.c blowing than stuck in a nasty subway all day.
Millions of things. And just the same, there are things in LA that can't be found in NYC. Both are great cities with something unique to offer.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:32 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
As far as I am concerned the main drawback of L.A. is the fact that one needs a car to get around and can't get around easily on public transportation everywhere. Otherwise, L.A. has lots to offer its residents.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:10 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
As far as I am concerned the main drawback of L.A. is the fact that one needs a car to get around and can't get around easily on public transportation everywhere. Otherwise, L.A. has lots to offer its residents.
This is so true! If I were to move back to NYC, I would sell my car and use it towards getting new furniture because a car isn't needed there. But for my pending move to LA, I will have to use my car as a trade-in, in order to buy a NEWER car in which to drive there and use on a regular basis. My 11 year old car won't make it all the way to CA.

I've used public transportation here at home, and of course in NYC, but I would not want to be in the position to have to use public transportation in LA. No way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles