Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 10:48 PM

705 posts, read 3,297,408 times

Advertisements

Also, Los Angeles is FAR too big to have a "sense of community".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 10:51 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
i remember a story i was told not too long ago. i think it was about gettin in to heaven
what kind of people the guy asked the man at the gate, live here.
what were the people like where you came from, oh they were rude stupid mean bitter unnkind, that is what the people are like here, go on in.
another guy came up, what are the people like that live here, what were they like where you came from, kind gentle humorous, liked kids a lot, that is what they are like here go on in.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:57 PM

61 posts, read 258,352 times
i was just having this discussion like two weeks ago with a friend of mine from new england. he asked me what do i like most about my neighbourhood... honestly my first response was how friendly everyone is and how i have a real sense of community here that i don't feel when i go to like beverly hills or santa monica.

i think it's because there are a LOT of dog owners in los feliz/griffith park. as such, we're always walking our dogs and getting to know people from seeing them day after day (sometimes several times per day.) i can walk down the street and people will know my name, or always say hi- even if we've never spoken.

also, los feliz has a lot of cool places within walking distance from our homes so we tend to walk a lot. it's more of a walking culture here than a "hop in your car and drive to trader joe's that's two blocks away" sort of mentality. you meet people just by walking or shopping at the markets. it's not uncommon for me to take 40 minutes in the market just to get a few items because someone is striking up conversation or i'll meet someone i know from walking our dogs and we'll stop and chat.

i live in an apartment with i think 30 units and we're always having building pool parties or we will watch each other's pets. i know if my neighbour is cooking something she'll always stop by and bring me some and she's not even in my building.

it's just a different mentality here. yeah, we have the trendmonkey industry hipsters that go out of their way to "act LA".. but for the most part you have a lot of creative, artsy, liberal and easy going people in los feliz (except for the drivers on los feliz blvd, expect to get flipped off or honked at by the people cutting through LF to get to the 5 freeway.)

i can definitely agree that many places in los angeles seem cold and indifferent, but i think most people who live in los feliz and silverlake would tend to agree with me that things are certainly friendlier and more close knit here than most other so cal communities.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:24 AM

128 posts, read 781,862 times
I'm not friends with my neighbors, no matter where I have lived. Hell, they can keel over in front of me and I won't be able to identify the body. Cuz you know what? I don't want to be friends with them, AND THAT'S FINE! It's called city-living people. Anonymity is what makes it great. If people know you around your area, then you fail in city-living.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:37 AM

635 posts, read 1,746,566 times
I don't know why people think Angelenos are so rude. I consider myself to be nice in person and on the road, and there are plenty of nice people in SoCal. It's a low blow to Southland residents.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:50 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,173,122 times
I guess I'm a reformed failure then. When I first moved here I knew many of my neighbors. They didn't bring me food or anything but we would occasionally sit outside and chat. Then one by one they were gone. The people above me moved to Redding. The lady next door moved in with family. The guy on the other side died. All of the units around me are occupied but the only way I know is I see lights on at night. Otherwise I see no one, hear no one, and talk to no one.

Actually, I did sort of talk to one lady a few months back. The mail lady gave me a letter for another apartment and I thought I would just walk over and give it to the right people. I knocked on the door, heard some rustling inside but no one came to the door so I knocked again. A female voice inside shouted, "No English, No, English". I don't know why but I said, in English, the mail lady made a mistake and gave me your mail. The door opened about a quarter inch and I stuck the letter in. The woman on the other side snatched it and slammed the door shut. That was the highlight of my interaction with my neighbors this year.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:10 PM

251 posts, read 1,312,442 times
Well....I wouldn't say I am ugly but I am not exactly a skinny chic....defintely need to shed quite a few pounds. Nor do I go out of my way to be perfectly dressed....and actually as a rule, people find me pretty intimidating.....but I don't go around scowling at people either.....but yep....everyone talks to me. Race doesn't matter, young, old. Maybe my glowing personality shines forth like a beacon?? Mickey says what's up and welcome to California.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:52 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times
It really depends on three things:

The city you live in - Whenever Im in Studio City, Sherman Oaks or Encino, people seem to always say "Hello", "How are you?" and make "small talk". Especially when shopping at Whole Foods or Trader Joes, people just seem (to me) to always seem cheerful, friendly and open. Dont think people are as friendly in other cities.

The building where you reside - Every condo I've lived in all had a great sense of community. Could be because everyone has investment in the property, meets for the board meetings and really get to know each other. I dont think this is true for large apartment living. Small privately owned apartments maybe, but not large ones unless people are of the same age, interest and backgrounds.

How attractive you are - Lets face it. If you are HOT people will ALWAYS go out of their way for you and will always be open and friendly. If someone who looks like Rosie O'Donnell drops all of her fruit in the parking lot after leaving Whole Foods not very many people will stop to help. But if someone who looks like Angelina Jolie or Kim Kardashian had the same thing happen, guys will appear out of no where like ninja trained secret service agents to help. Its just how things are.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:58 AM

830 posts, read 2,860,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
But if someone who looks like Angelina Jolie or Kim Kardashian had the same thing happen, guys will appear out of no where like ninja trained secret service agents to help.

Ok, that was funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles