Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 12:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,555 times

Advertisements

Hi. I just accepted a job that will re-locate me to the Long Beach Area, specifically Cerritos. I'll be moving probably around the summer this year with my wife and 3 kids (kids are 10 years and under). We are going to try to survive with one income initially (approx $90000+).

Other details: No debt except a car payment and student loan (approx $600/month total). We're asian (filipino specifically (I was born in the US, wife was not).

1)Is it feasible for us to live in Cerritos? I mean live comfortably and not stressed check to check. Property values seem so high there (ok...everywhere around there). We'll probably rent initially and need a house with 3 bed/2 bathrooms.

2)How is living in Cerritos like? Apologize if this is too general, but I'm trying to get some perspective.

2)Are there other safe more affordable neighborhoods around Cerritos that have decent schools?

I've already done a basic budget with estimated costs in CA and it seems our budget is really tight. Appreciate any help. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 12:18 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,105,135 times
cerritos is a nice town, but expensive as you mentioned. if you can swing $2500/month for rent you should be able to rent a small house in the city. northeast long beach is also decent as well as parts of lakewood and cypress.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:54 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,539,398 times
Cerritos is the best family area and school district. It's quiet, safe, pleasant, nice parks, well kept streets, good shopping, etc... You will find a huge Filipino population in that area. If you can find something there in your budget, get it. But raising a family on that budget is not ideal in better parts of SoCal.

Lakewood and Cypress are good, more affordable alternatives. Suburbs east of Cerritos (Buena Park/La Mirada) are cheaper and less desirable but not too bad.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:24 PM

192 posts, read 324,472 times
Cerritos has great schools, parks, cheap food options and is pretty central. BRinSM is on point with regards to rentals.

Good luck and enjoy guppy house!

Old 01-24-2014, 05:11 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,472,534 times
Around Cerritos, try Lakewood and Cypress like it has been mentioned. Buena Park is a mix bag, and whether is good or bad is very neighborhood dependent, so don't cross it off. The north part of Buena Park, closer to Fullerton, also has access to Fullerton's School district which has some great schools. The west isn't too bad either (especially the neighborhoods right off of Valley View in between Orangethorpe and Lincoln), as long as you live within the Kennedy High School/ Walker Jr. High feeder area, otherwise your kids will be stuck at Buena Park High School, and you don't want that. La Palma, in between Cerritos and Buena Park, is like a smaller Cerritos, IMO (only slightly less expensive). Fullerton is just down the road, off the 91, has great schools and also more affordable than Cerritos (well, depends on the neighborhood.)

I grew up in the area (Buena Park), spent my childhood going to parks in Cerritos, the Cerritos and Lakewood malls, John F. Kennedy High school...have taken classes at Cypress College, etc. Over all, you can't go wrong with the community as it is uber family friendly, lots of park, good schools, and incredibly diverse. The Catholic Church off of Orangethorpe and Beach blvd, in Buena Park, has a strong Filipino presence (they even have services in Tagalog.) Just stay away from West Anaheim/Stanton/Beach Blvd-south-of-Artesia and you'll be fine.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:09 AM

8,452 posts, read 14,957,050 times
You should factor in a second car, if you haven't already.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:34 AM

2 posts, read 4,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
You should factor in a second car, if you haven't already.
Yes we have. We have 2 cars now (one paid off, the other (an Odyssey) is brand new).

Appreciate everyone's responses so far, it really helps.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:07 PM
ka8

50 posts, read 94,101 times
Cerritos is nice with alot of open space. Great schools, parks but pricy. Majority of the population is owner-occupied hence less opportunity for ghetto to move in. You'll like it.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:44 AM

433 posts, read 844,895 times
On your budget you can afford Cerritos. Also as an Asian you enjoying Cerritos depends. I am African American. Grew up in Long Beach, family from Mississippi, now I live in Memphis. I have a love hate relationship with Memphis partially because I am surrounded by my own people. Cerritos will be the same way for you as an Asian person. Most of the Asians in Cerritos though are not Filipino. Long Beach has a lot of Filipino people though. Also some Filipino's in Cali consider themselves Pacific Islander not Asian. Just a heads up. Good luck on your move.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:22 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,752,433 times
Our daughter and son in law live in Lakewood. It is a nice area, clean, safe, etc and pretty affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles