Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 03:23 PM

14 posts, read 17,460 times

Advertisements

I have been looking to purchase a townhouse / condo somewhere in the valley. My max budget is 350k and ideally I'd like to be somewhere in Tarzana / Encino but the market is pretty competitive here at the moment within this price range. I've come across a few condos in what is called "west hills" but for all intensive purposes is canoga park (I grew up in the valley so I know the area pretty well). The condos are basically Shoup and Sherman Way. Anybody familiar with the area? I know Canoga is pretty sketchy but I don't know much about the area west of Topanga Canyon Blvd, even if it is only one block.

If anybody has any other tips regarding purchasing in the valley or other areas, here is my situation:
I am 28 years old working in Thousand Oaks making about 75k a year, hopefully getting a bump up to the low 80s in march. I don't have any debt and have been able to save up a decent amount to where I can put down 20% on a house within my price range of up to 350k. I have a girlfriend who is also 28 and she is planning on movnig in with me, however she works out in burbank so we have the dreaded different direction commute. I currently am renting in Tarzana and it seems like the perfect place commute wise for the two of us but thus far it has been difficult finding an adequate place, as it seems prices are increasing at the moment. I have put bids on two condos so far and came up empty handed both times as there have been multiple bids, and I hate the idea of spending way more than what the place is worth. Personally, I am okay with being in Winnetka or Reseda as long as it's south of Sherman Way, but my girlfriend, who is also from the valley, thinks it's too seedy. I think I'd be willing to go as far east as valley village, althoguh I don't know much about the area and I'd rather not have the commute from valley village to thousand oaks. Any thoughts and tips are appreciated!

-Jon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 03:31 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
valley village will be more expensive than the west valley from what i've seen. also, after a quick look at redfin i see dozens of condos available in encino south of the 101 between Lindley and White Oak, most of which appear to be within your budget. have you looked in this area?

Old 01-29-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
valley village will be more expensive than the west valley from what i've seen. also, after a quick look at redfin i see dozens of condos available in encino south of the 101 between Lindley and White Oak, most of which appear to be within your budget. have you looked in this area?
Thanks for the reply. Most of the condos in Encino within that price range are very much like apartments and that's something I'm trying to get away from. I was hoping for something more like a split level townhouse with a garage. I've gone to check out the condos in Encino and wasn't impressed.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:28 PM

74 posts, read 181,541 times
i have been to west hills many times and it is an awesome area. you should try to look at the condos on victory boulevard and vanowen street from shoup all the way to valley circle. it would be an easy commute too because you can take victory all the way to burbank in about 45 minutes or so.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody067 View Post
i have been to west hills many times and it is an awesome area. you should try to look at the condos on victory boulevard and vanowen street from shoup all the way to valley circle. it would be an easy commute too because you can take victory all the way to burbank in about 45 minutes or so.
Thanks, I will check them out. The ones I looked at on Shoup and Sherman Way seemed to be in a pretty crappy area. That's great advice about getting to Burbank via Victory. My girlfriend had been wondering how long / easy that commute is since the 101 is kind of a nightmare in the morning.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:34 PM

FYI, that's a long way on Victory Blvd to Burbank. And depending on what time of the morning your girlfriend is on the road, there are multiple bottlenecks west of the 405. I.E. getting from White Oak past Sepulveda can take over 20 minutes and that's just a few miles. your gf would probably be better off taking the orange line to north hollywood and using one of Burbank's shuttles to get to her office.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
FYI, that's a long way on Victory Blvd to Burbank. And depending on what time of the morning your girlfriend is on the road, there are multiple bottlenecks west of the 405. I.E. getting from White Oak past Sepulveda can take over 20 minutes and that's just a few miles. your gf would probably be better off taking the orange line to north hollywood and using one of Burbank's shuttles to get to her office.
I've taken Burbank east from White Oak to Sepulveda and it was a nightmare and I assumed it was because everybody was trying to get on the 405. I didn't think Victory would be as bad since there isn't a 405 onramp. Thanks for the info.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy912 View Post
I've taken Burbank east from White Oak to Sepulveda and it was a nightmare and I assumed it was because everybody was trying to get on the 405. I didn't think Victory would be as bad since there isn't a 405 onramp. Thanks for the info.

Victory does have an onramp to the 405, you are mistaken. i live in that area, so I am familiar. Vanowen doesn't have an onramp, but it is just as bad as Victory. I've also tried Sherman Way and it's no walk in the park either.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Victory does have an onramp to the 405, you are mistaken. i live in that area, so I am familiar. Vanowen doesn't have an onramp, but it is just as bad as Victory. I've also tried Sherman Way and it's no walk in the park either.
I just saw it on the map you are right, my mistake. So what is the best route in your opinion to get to Burbank from the west valley while avoiding the 101?

Old 01-30-2014, 06:26 PM

Also, since we are discussing commutes from the west valley to Burbank, I would like to pose this question: Which is a worse commute, Agoura Hills to Burbank or from Valley Village to Thousand Oaks? Both are approximiately 29 miles but make heavy use of the 101. Let's say the goal is to get to work by 9 am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles