U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2014, 06:32 PM

175 posts, read 239,206 times

Advertisements

Pretty much ^ what he said, NO. you will not get a decent school period. even if the elementary is ok , the middle and high schools suck. and honestly 750 k on the westside is a fixer or a condo. plain and simple
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 09:35 PM

375 posts, read 623,531 times
Scratch up another few hundred grand and then maybe.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:01 PM

5,801 posts, read 5,588,188 times
$750K for a home in a good to great school district eliminates anything west of the 405; Orange County and/or Ventura County, as well as the IE (Upland and or Rancho Cucamonga) would be perfect for you given your requirements.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:27 AM
buh

2 posts, read 2,515 times
Default Yes

The best S.M. grammar schools are Roosevelt and Franklin, both on Montana north of Wilshire.
You could find a condo near those schools. The good middle school, Lincoln, is nearby. .The eastern part of Sunset Park, NOT near Pico Blvd., around Ocean Park Blvd. but not near Lincoln Blvd. is quite decent
Culver City is an up and coming city. Lots of homes in your price range.
Any more info, glad to help.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:43 AM
buh

2 posts, read 2,515 times
I think some posters are too negative. Look at Craigslist often.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:38 AM

611 posts, read 628,186 times
We have been looking to buy a SFH in Santa Monica, West LA, Mar Vista casually since about October, with more purpose since the beginning of the year. We started looking around the $750,000 mark, and came to the conclusion that west of the 405 that will get you a basic 2 bed 1 bath fixer of around 1000 sq ft, unless you go south of Venice or Washington, but your school options there don't appear to be great. $750,000 will only get you a condo in Santa Monica.

If you can lift your budget to $800-850,000 and/or look east of the 405, such as 90064, Culver City, or the area around Overland, you will widen your options considerably.

Santa Monica is the best school district, followed by Culver City. There are some excellent individual elementary schools in Mar Vista/West LA, but all part of the LAUSD, and the middle/high school situation is not great there.

The inventory is slowly growing and usually does lift in spring, but there are also lots of people looking, so quite a bit of competition. I think some recent listing prices have been too ambitious and so those properties have been sitting on the market for longer, but even so my overall perception is that home sales seem to be brisk across the area, with many vendors calling for and receiving multiple offers by the end of the first week of listing/open homes. It's not a pace that feels comfortable as a buyer, have to say.

Many of the places we've looked at in the $850-1m range have ended up selling for around 10% above list price, but don't know if that is the same across the board. Having said that, I know that prices rose very strongly last year, but I'd be interested to see some stats on the last couple of months. My gut feel is that they haven't risen much, but hard figures might prove me wrong.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:06 AM

1,310 posts, read 1,067,592 times
I don't care if inventory does go up a bit -- there's a HUGE demand for great houses in Santa Monica for $750,000. Tons of buyers will circle such a house, and bid up.

Right no, there is NO house in Santa Monica selling for under $1.1 million. The ones that appeared in your price range last year were tiny and sad.

This house was listed for $749,000 (it has no garage, as the garage was converted into a room, thus increasing the house's square footage to 720 square feet): 1319 Chelsea Ave, Santa Monica, CA 90404 - Public Property Records Search - realtor.com®

The above house is in Santa Monica's busy mid-city area. It's not as "tree-lined" as the listing would have you believe.

There were a small, one-bathroom house on Virginia Avenue, next to the freeway, that listed for $799,000. A nice little house, if you don't mind having a freeway wall as a front view.

Another house facing the freeway, on Urban Avenue, sold last November for $800,000.

I see houses occasionally pop up at Mar Vista for $800,000 or so. You might find one for $750,000, but it won't be newly renovated. And again, the cheaper the house, the more buyers to compete against.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:31 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,790,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudwalker View Post
Many of the places we've looked at in the $850-1m range have ended up selling for around 10% above list price, but don't know if that is the same across the board. Having said that, I know that prices rose very strongly last year, but I'd be interested to see some stats on the last couple of months. My gut feel is that they haven't risen much, but hard figures might prove me wrong.
Santa Monica continues to be a really hot market. As you've noticed, a lot of homes are still selling very quickly and for over asking price. A big drop in demand has slowed the overall market down and prices are generally stagnating in a lot of areas. Santa Monica seems to be defying the general trend, though I don't believe the values are rising quite as quickly as they did last year.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:54 PM

134 posts, read 216,410 times
I guess I'd be open to condos as well if houses are out of the question...

Old 02-14-2014, 01:06 PM

25,306 posts, read 16,152,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenere View Post
Scratch up another few hundred grand and then maybe.
Got any good ideas for that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or