Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 04:59 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times

Advertisements

I see that $$$ is being poured into a major renovation of the north portion of Del Amo Mall and that Nordstrom is relocating there after 30 years in the South Bay Galleria. Does this signal that Del Amo is on the rise again and the Galleria is now on the decline? Or, are both malls healthy and just seeing a lot of changes? Do you think either one will end up becoming a Dead Mall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 09:14 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,798,610 times
What is a dead mall and are there any examples in the Los Angeles area?

Old 02-17-2014, 09:21 AM

According to the deadmalls.com website, some in southern California include

Central City Mall / Carousel Mall: San Bernardino, CA
Hawthorne Mall: Hawthorne, CA
Valley Plaza: North Hollywood, CA
Indian Hill Mall: Pomona, CA
The Quad: Whittier, CA
Sherman Oaks Galleria: Los Angeles, CA
Whittwood Mall: Whittier, CA

"Dead mall" is a commercial real estate term. AFAIK, the definition is a shopping mall with a high vacancy rate or a low consumer traffic level. Often they're deteriorating in some manner. I think most commonly a mall is considered "dead" (for the purposes of leasing) when it no longer has an anchor store. Some of the examples they give have anchors but lots all but 1-2 of the stores between the anchors.

I have very fond memories of walking to the South Bay Galleria, but that mall always had a parking problem--so I can see why Nordstrom (the main anchor there) would leave. Mervyn's was the other anchor. Not sure if anything replaced it when Mervyn's went belly up. Wonder if they have a replacement for Nordie's?

Old 02-17-2014, 09:55 AM

I don't think it will either will become a "Dead Mall", I think Del Amo's biggest problem is traffic on Hawthorne and PC.

A Target went in adjacent to Galleria, with the closure of the Home Depot Expo Center, parking is not a problem. From what I've read in the paper, Hawthorne has had other issue contributing to the vacancies. There are other malls which I guess you can have considered died and come back to life, Fox Hills, Marina Del Rey, Century City. I think that the Galleria would end up doing the same based on the location, close to a freeway.

I see more offices and medical buildings going up in the Southbay people won't have to travel as far for work and they will want to shop close by, There is lots of parking but it is flat on street level, so you have to walk farther than using the structure. If they actually took away parking and made street view retail locations, I think they'd be better off.

People are getting pushed farther south to buy a home, it is really up to the mall properties owners, if they will let it become a Dead mall by charging too high rent, otherwise the Aussie will just buy it too

Last edited by thelopez2; 02-17-2014 at 10:06 AM..

Old 02-17-2014, 10:02 AM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,799 times
Hawthorne Mall has been dead for years. As in, shuttered and going back to nature dead.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:07 AM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,799 times
I think that Nordstrom was the big player at the Galleria and they will need to do something to keep up customer traffic. Thankfully they have moive theaters, but I see more people going to Del Amo for that. There are some newer dining options in the area, but more needs to be done.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:13 AM

Get a Whole Foods or Trader Joes in there. In the mean time put a ice skating ring to make up for the closure of the Culver City one.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
I don't think it will either will become a "Dead Mall", I think Del Amo's biggest problem is traffic on Hawthorne and PC.

A Target went in adjacent to Galleria, with the closure of the Home Depot Expo Center, parking is not a problem. From what I've read in the paper, Hawthorne has had other issue contributing to the vacancies. There are other malls which I guess you can have considered died and come back to life, Fox Hills, Marina Del Rey, Century City. I think that the Galleria would end up doing the same based on the location, close to a freeway.

I see more offices and medical buildings going up in the Southbay people won't have to travel as far for work and they will want to shop close by, There is lots of parking but it is flat on street level, so you have to walk farther than using the structure. If they actually took away parking and made street view retail locations, I think they'd be better off.

People are getting pushed farther south to buy a home, it is really up to the mall properties owners, if they will let it become a Dead mall by charging too high rent, otherwise the Aussie will just buy it too
we were shopping there a few years ago and yes, the traffic situation was awful plus my feeling and this is just a personal one: I think indoor malls period, with rare exception might be on their way out. It seems people are flocking more to the special stores, small shopping centers, and the trendy ones with the brick walkways etc. I have seen so many, throughout the country (inside malls I mean) being closed or certainly not busy. That was our experience at Del Amo.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:26 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,197,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
Hawthorne Mall has been dead for years. As in, shuttered and going back to nature dead.
It still feels like the mid 1990s in Hawthorne.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:28 AM

The ice skating rink certainly brought people up to PV Mall to shop. Back in the day, of course--no idea if it's still popular.

Did Nordie's ever say why they were moving to Del Amo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles