Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 02:44 PM

2 posts, read 1,619 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband is being offered a job in The City of Industry. We were hoping someone here could give some advice about safe areas to live with 2 young kids within an hours drive from the Industry area? We were hoping to move to Valencia, but is that a crazy commute? We are from NJ, so we know all about crazy commutes. We'd like to keep it much shorter than an hour but we want the best area for our budget. Our budget is about $2,200 for housing. I'm a graphic designer who will be hopefully finding a job as well.

We have a cousin who lives in Sherman Oaks that we'd like to be 30 min from if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 02:53 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,332,505 times
What side of Industry? It's a long but relatively narrow town. Industry is known for its huge warehouses, office parks, and strip clubs.

Diamond Bar, Rowland Heights, Hacienda Heights, Walnut. All close by. And very safe. But very crowded, very Asian, and Very expensive.

South El Monte, Bassett, La Puente, parts of West Covina. Also close. But not so nice.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:30 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterpress80 View Post
We were hoping to move to Valencia, but is that a crazy commute? We are from NJ, so we know all about crazy commutes.
Commutes here are not the same. Do NOT move to Valencia and try to commute to the city of Industry. What about Arcadia?

Old 03-03-2014, 05:29 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,190,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Commutes here are not the same. Do NOT move to Valencia and try to commute to the city of Industry. What about Arcadia?
2200 won't be enough for arcadia if the OP is expecting something like a 3/2 detached detached family home. san dimas and glendora would be better options if this is the case.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:57 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,169,887 times
In addition to some of the cities mentioned above, Chino Hills could also be a good option.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:23 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,992 times
Santa Clarita to Industry would be a horrible, horrible mistake.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:53 PM

9 posts, read 11,539 times
$2200 is going to be tough in the LA area for a decent location / place. Seeing how you want to be closer to Sherman Oaks. I would advise Eagle Rock, Highland Park, and Cypress Park area. Up and coming neighborhood, but still affordable and against traffic for your husband to city of industry. Yet closer to Sherman Oaks. He could take the 210E to the 605S w/ probably a 30-40 minute commute.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:28 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,797,640 times
Is anything wrong with West Covina?

Old 03-04-2014, 01:53 AM

3 posts, read 13,991 times
I like think Arcadia is a convenient location for you especially if you have family. $2,200 for a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom single family house is a little tight but possible if you are willing to move to the South of Arcadia (south of East Live Oak Ave). I have lived in that area with my family before I got relocated. That area is a little cheaper to rent since it doesn't belong to the Arcadia School District, however, that area is very quiet and mostly occupied with families that have young kids. One thing that I really enjoyed was knowing the neighbors, we know pretty much everyone down the street, and we looked out for one another. Don't be discourage when looking for a house that might be a little over your budget in that area. I remembered when I first checked out that area and was looking for a rental house, I thought the rent was a little higher than what I intended to pay for, but I was lucky to be able to bargain with the owner, and got my rent to be cut down. Sometimes the owner might be willing to rent their house out for a little cheaper if they think you are decent potential tenant. Few nice streets I remembered are: Marsburn Ave, Cochin Ave, Huddart Ave, Garypark Ave. That area runs from south of East Live Oak Ave, East of Santa Anita Ave, North of Miloann Street, west of Hempstead Ave or the Arcadia Golf Course Par 3. Well good luck and hope this helps.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:25 AM

808 posts, read 1,877,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterpress80 View Post
We were hoping to move to Valencia
No. Just, don't. Valencia is an hour commute to City of Industry even with no traffic. During rush hour we're talking 1.5-2 hours or maybe even more each way. How often are you really going to see your cousin? If I were in your shoes I'd just live a city close by Industry such as Hacienda Heights, Whittier or West Covina and bear with the long drive when you visit your cousin. If you absolutely have to live within 30 minutes of Sherman Oaks, take a look at Glendale, Burbank or Alhambra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles