Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 09:14 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Pasadena Unified was one of the first districts in California to have mandatory busing (along with Inglewood). The districts that had mandatory busing got ruined.
This is the correct answer to my previous question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
So why does Pasadena have terrible schools if it's such an attractive place to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 11:42 PM

87 posts, read 133,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
No. Pacific Palisades doesn't have its own district. For some reason it wound up in LAUSD even though it would make more geographical sense if it was in the Santa Monica district.

Pasadena Unified was one of the first districts in California to have mandatory busing (along with Inglewood). The districts that had mandatory busing got ruined. In the case of LAUSD it had the double whammy of mandatory busing and Prop 13 coming simultaneously.
amazing how much the schools have an impact on all these areas.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:00 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,103 times
When I first moved here, everyone told me to live as close to the beach as possible. I think that was good advice for my first few years in California. You get the full beachy coastal experience. And now I'm ready to head inland and find some hills. I'm not a beach guy or a water guy, but give me a nice trail in the foothills and I'm happy.

So maybe try both before you decide. I'd rather be in Tarzana than Venice. But I wouldn't have known that if I'd settled down the first place I moved when I landed here. LA County has such a diversity in climates, scenery, people, housing. You get the full spectrum here so give it all a try.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:59 AM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
The good schools attract money, it just shows who has money. IF LAUSD could improve schools, could you imagine what might happen.
Well, they had to have started somewhere, as far as being good schools-so while 'people with money' may perpetuate that, it does make a different correlation than just money. Also, it matters more whether or not a family, culture or demographic values education and places a priority on it, or if it's more of a daycare for the kids. This is huge and not related to having money or not per se. It does often overlap, but the two factors have been known to be mutually exclusive at times, as well. It's not true that not having money means one doesn't value or care about education, standards and respect. That's why whenever I see some comment re: 'oh, it's up to the parents, any school can work, regardless of its ranking, etc', I think 'yea, if you don't mind being in a sea of apathy and constantly swimming upstream.' Once the kids are in jr/sr high, all bets are off, too. Not a great 'x' factor to wittingly go into that as a parent. 'Meh, maybe it'll work out, maybe it won't.'
LAUSD cannot wave a magic wand. It's (school district) an ecosystem made up of various players, all of whom play an integral part of the social and education fabric/culture of any given school. It's not all on LAUSD, and they public school hierarchy has its flaws to begin with, having been designed for the industrial era, conceptually. [From length of day to daily tasks, mindset, etc].

Old 03-12-2014, 01:03 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
I agree with this . It's not politically correct to say of course so people don't say it. But...it's clear not everyone values education the same way.

If it wasn't mandated by law , there would be a lot of parents that probably wouldn't make too much effort to have their kids educated.

There are still a lot of people that have the mentality of "don't waste your time in school..get a job...it worked for me"..

I know because I've seen it...and some of these people are successful..but they are came up at a time where educational requirements were different too.

LAUSD is a mess, it's obvious. The city of L.A is also a mess an unmanageable. Some small examples are the way they let the whole marijuana dispensary get out of control. Even now the city is issuing permits to potshops through the City of Finance even though they aren't legit!
They don't even know how many shops are out there..
Now it seems they are enforcing laws...supposedly.. but there is one on my block that seems to Violate Prop D and it's still open despite reporting it to all the departments.

The problem is things happen way too slowly in L.A and by the time the politicians decide to do anything...the problem ends up being too big.

This is one big reason why people choose cities around L.A , like Burbank,etc that have better services ,including schools. Although those cities have become pretty unaffordable for most too.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:50 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I agree with this . It's not politically correct to say of course so people don't say it. But...it's clear not everyone values education the same way.

If it wasn't mandated by law , there would be a lot of parents that probably wouldn't make too much effort to have their kids educated.

There are still a lot of people that have the mentality of "don't waste your time in school..get a job...it worked for me"..

I know because I've seen it...and some of these people are successful..but they are came up at a time where educational requirements were different too.

LAUSD is a mess, it's obvious. The city of L.A is also a mess an unmanageable. Some small examples are the way they let the whole marijuana dispensary get out of control. Even now the city is issuing permits to potshops through the City of Finance even though they aren't legit!
They don't even know how many shops are out there..
Now it seems they are enforcing laws...supposedly.. but there is one on my block that seems to Violate Prop D and it's still open despite reporting it to all the departments.

The problem is things happen way too slowly in L.A and by the time the politicians decide to do anything...the problem ends up being too big.

This is one big reason why people choose cities around L.A , like Burbank,etc that have better services ,including schools. Although those cities have become pretty unaffordable for most too.
Unaffordable for understandable reasons, though - they're still functional. Unlike the city of L.A.

That's why it's difficult to believe that neighborhoods within the city of L.A. are as expensive as nearby neighborhoods not within the city of L.A.

Why would someone move to Studio City or Toluca Lake rather than Burbank, because Studio City and Toluca Lake aren't cheap?

Why would someone move to Cheviot Hills or Beverlywood rather than Culver City, because Cheviot Hills and Beverlywood aren't cheap?

Why would someone move to Brentwood, West LA, or the Palisades rather than Santa Monica, because Brentwood, West LA, and the Palisades aren't cheap?

Old 03-12-2014, 04:06 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
Well, they had to have started somewhere, as far as being good schools-so while 'people with money' may perpetuate that, it does make a different correlation than just money. Also, it matters more whether or not a family, culture or demographic values education and places a priority on it. This is huge and not related to having money or not per se. It does often overlap, but the two factors have been known to be mutually exclusive at times, as well. LAUSD cannot wave a magic wand. It's (school district) an ecosystem made up of various players, all of whom play an integral part of the social and education fabric/culture of any given school.
Spot on. Very similar to Pasadena Unified. I happen to disagree about PUSD's academic descent being due to busing. It was a mediocre school district long before 1970.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:47 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I happen to disagree about PUSD's academic descent being due to busing. It was a mediocre school district long before 1970.
Well, you're wrong.

Before mandatory busing was implemented in 1970 whites made up 53% of the students attending PUSD and 54% of the community. In 2006 whites made up 16% of the students yet still account for 53% of the population in the community.

PASADENA UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT:The Abandonment of a Public Institution

Old 03-16-2014, 05:59 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

I've questioned it myself... especially when many are graduating with tens of thousands in student debt.

Several close friends have only high school educations and yet they earn enough to take care of their families.

A couple are small contractors and one is tile contractor... it's just him and a helper... his work is so much in demand... he doesn't even bother advertising.

Another is a Hazmat Truck Driver... 100k a year with great benefits... only downside is have to pee in a cup anytime, anywhere on demand.

Another is a one man rotorooter guy... makes darn good money and works his own hours...

Old 03-16-2014, 06:41 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,851,924 times
Not everything is about money. I personally wouldn't want to drive a truck or clear bathroom drains my whole life even if it meant good money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles