Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 02:08 PM

46 posts, read 65,130 times

Advertisements

"Money Talks"

Old 03-19-2014, 02:31 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
What you mean money talks?

Old 03-19-2014, 02:52 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
This explains why rappers like Kendrick Lamar (from Compton) are rapping in Spanish these days. It makes sense though as he's young enough to have lived around many hispanics.

But even 2PAC acknowledged the importance of hispanics in L.A when he rapped "Cause would it be L.A. without Mexicans"... and he died back in 1996.
Another interesting thing about 2PAC is that everyone views him as a symbol for L.A rap, but he was actually born in East Harlem NYC .
Tupac Shakur - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Also tupac didn't even live in LA when he moved to Cali, and he also lived a good amount of years in Baltimore.

I like his music, but when it came to hoods, 2pac was a very confused person.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:54 PM

46 posts, read 65,130 times
I mean to say that pretty much universally poor people are invisible and rich people decide what others get to see via the media. And yes, I know not all Hispanic Angelenos are poor, nor are all Anglo Angelenos rich but there is a clear correlation in this metro between affluent areas and white areas as well as between poor areas and Hispanic ones.

Sorry, that seemed obvious to me. But, maybe I think about it more than others.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:25 PM

401 posts, read 767,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanymiles View Post
I mean to say that pretty much universally poor people are invisible and rich people decide what others get to see via the media. And yes, I know not all Hispanic Angelenos are poor, nor are all Anglo Angelenos rich but there is a clear correlation in this metro between affluent areas and white areas as well as between poor areas and Hispanic ones.

huh? Are you only talking about mass media, like TV? If so, executives at the network decide what's shown based on ratings.

I'm rich, and I don't decide jack-crap about what's on TV ... I do decide what's shown in my house, though.

If you're not talking about TV, I don't see how you can say poor people are invisible. I see poor people and poor neighborhoods everyday, even though I live in a neighborhood full of rich people.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanymiles View Post

I think this is still relevant to some degree..but with the internet being a big part of people's lives today. I think this isn't as true as in the past.

I don't have too much of an interest in most of the stuff the big media puts out in terms of movies or TV shows. Learning things through forums like CityData or listening to podcasts is more interesting for me.

I do agree about the correlation between affluent metros. At least in L.A the majority white ones are not the run down ones.

I think it should be one's own responsibility to be conscious of what they expose themselves to..and to be critical/skeptical of the media.

Media in general just wants eyeballs because that translates into advertising dollars.

There are lot's of things out there like NPR or other nonprofit outlets that have higher quality information versus fluff pieces.

Whether one is rich or poor , I don't think "the media told me it was true so I thought it was true" is an excuse.

Also I think that people often think it's the rich that need to know more about the poor...but I think the rich could also teach the poor a lot too.

Also most millionaires in America are actually selfmade , it's like 70% or more.

I'm not a millionaire..but I see a lot of poor or middle class say "the rich inherited it" or "they are all crooks" etc.

I'd love to see something like a reality show ..and a REAL one or a documentary series based in L.A where a poor kid lives with a rich family or vice versa. Or even adults doing this.

I see a lot of negative mindsets out there. Many poor are hopeless and feel they could never be rich or even "middle class" (if that still exists)

Old 03-19-2014, 08:44 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Come by my hood. Sometimes I feel like the only non Latino around! Definitely the minority. No hipsters or yuppies in sight.
Which neighborhood you in, JM?

Old 03-19-2014, 09:06 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,780 times
I'm wanting to move to CA in the near future[SD] and have been reading these forums,and it does seem like I constantly see the great Mexican food available in CA,but other than the food and much less often~ the awesome Spanish architecture,it seems to me that most people mention Hispanics in a less than favorable light,only!

When my dad was stationed[AF]in Tucson when I was a teen,I totally loved the architecture,food, and music of the Mexican influence and cannot wait for it again!

I have no doubt that Hispanics have added so much to the American SW,in a good way,of making it what it is,and yes,I totally agree that for the most part they are definitely unappreciated and invisible,as far as society goes,in failing to give them the recognition that they deserve. The way they are constantly denigrated is just wrong!

Not every Hispanic is an illegal,and my SIL who is an industrial plumber[crew leader] in TN.He said they are hard working,and expert stone masons and he would rather have them on his crew any day than the locals!

Old 03-19-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Which neighborhood you in, JM?
It's the border of North Hollywood/ Sun Valley .

Old 03-19-2014, 11:40 PM

696 posts, read 1,169,415 times
Hollywood/Celebrities is a big reason why I dislike Los Angeles as much of a nice city Los Angeles is...

I can't stand the whole entertainment industry there, it's stupid and overshadows everything else good the entire region has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles