U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Moving to Los Angeles: traffic, find a job, downtown, rent an apt, College.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 07:53 PM

4 posts, read 5,732 times
Red face A few questions for locals

Hello! I am planning on moving to LA this coming March (although I am getting discouraged by the multitude of negative comments about it around this forum). I am a 19 year old white male who is currently living in Chattanooga, TN. I am no country bumpkin however and have been to many a big city, other countries, and has lived in Orlando, FL so I don't think it will be to big a shock.

Anywho, I have a few questions.
1.) Ideally I want to find an area where I can find a 1 - 2 bedroom for about $1000 a month or maybe a studio for around $800 or less. Where are some good and reasonably safe areas with those type of apartment prices?

2.) I have heard horror stories about the public transit, is it really that bad? What types are there and are there many people who commute in the LA area? I basically was wondering if it was 100% required to have a car at all times.

3.) Are jobs generally hard to come by? I'm talking general jobs like retail and etc?

4.) Now for the fun questions. About how far would I have to travel to get to a good beach where I could surf and how far would I have to travel to find a mountain where I could snowboard?

Since there are so many negative comments about LA, I am open minded if anyone has any other suggestions of places to move. I thought about NY, FL, and NoCA but eventually settled on LA. If you have any other suggestions, I am open.

Thanks for any help and sorry for any mistakes, I wrote this in a rush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 07:56 PM

Oh, I forgot another question, the weather.
How are the summer and winters and about how often does it rain? Is there a rainy season etc. Thanks!

Old 12-05-2007, 07:58 PM

26,362 posts, read 53,038,635 times
My comments in green

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShareYourTreats View Post
Anywho, I have a few questions.
1.) Ideally I want to find an area where I can find a 1 - 2 bedroom for about $1000 a month or maybe a studio for around $800 or less. Where are some good and reasonably safe areas with those type of apartment prices?

The Mojave desert.

2.) I have heard horror stories about the public transit, is it really that bad? What types are there and are there many people who commute in the LA area?

What does bad mean? How much is many?

3.) Are jobs generally hard to come by? I'm talking general jobs like retail and etc?

What does hard mean?

4.) Now for the fun questions. About how far would I have to travel to get to a good beach where I could surf and how far would I have to travel to find a mountain where I could snowboard?

From where?

Old 12-05-2007, 07:59 PM

274 posts, read 13,275 times
San Fransisco.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:02 PM

26,362 posts, read 53,038,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShareYourTreats View Post
Oh, I forgot another question, the weather.
How are the summer and winters and about how often does it rain? Is there a rainy season etc. Thanks!
Did you look any of this stuff up in the multitude of internet weather databases?

Old 12-05-2007, 08:06 PM

11,728 posts, read 23,513,186 times
1) Keep dreaming

2) Yes, you need a car unless you like riding the bus with illegals and taking forever to get anywhere

3) There's tons of low level jobs like retail all over the place.

4) LA has beaches all along the west side. How long it takes to get there depends on where you live. Could be minutes. Could be hours in traffic. Pretty much the same applies to the mountain, but they're farther from LA. Go to Google maps and put it in terrain view. The skiing/boarding mountains are north/northeast of LA and shown as big green areas.

5) The rainy season is December - March, more or less. But being a dry climate prone to drought, we could get no rain, or lots of rain. But if its going to fall, that's when it will. Summer and fall are long and dry. Summer temperatures depend on where you are. Typical highs might be 70 in Santa Monica but 100+ just over the hill into the San Fernando Valley. Distance from the ocean and what's between you and the ocean make a HUGE difference in temperatures here. August and September tend to be the hottest months since the June gloom (low clouds that persist into afternoon) are gone by the.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:11 PM

707 posts, read 2,261,661 times
1. You wont find a two bedroom apartment for $1000 so you will have to settle with a one bedroom. Concerning safe areas, thats up to you. Are you looking for trouble? if not, then you shouldn't find it. But do try to avoid places like Watts, Compton, Lincoln Heights, Boyle Heights and South Central just to be safe.

2. If you live and work near the red line(metro) then you wont necessarily need a car. In other parts of Los Angeles, you will need a car to get to work or drive out of the city but generally everthing you need is close to you.

3. Jobs are definitely not hard to come by in Los Angeles. The new L.A. live project in downtown is creating over 3,500 new jobs. You may even end up working in an office or at home if you get to know the right people.

4. The beaches are close to everyone in the greater Los Angeles area but the time getting there depends at what time of day you decide to go. After 7pm or before 4pm would probably be the best times or the weekends. I have never driven to the mountains so that I cannot answer.

Are you comming to Los Angeles by yourself?
Also, every city has its problems and if you like the big city feel with all the positives and negatives that come with it, Los Angeles is definitely for you.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:13 PM

707 posts, read 2,261,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
1) Keep dreaming

2) Yes, you need a car unless you like riding the bus with illegals and taking forever to get anywhere

3) There's tons of low level jobs like retail all over the place.

4) LA has beaches all along the west side. How long it takes to get there depends on where you live. Could be minutes. Could be hours in traffic. Pretty much the same applies to the mountain, but they're farther from LA. Go to Google maps and put it in terrain view. The skiing/boarding mountains are north/northeast of LA and shown as big green areas.

5) The rainy season is December - March, more or less. But being a dry climate prone to drought, we could get no rain, or lots of rain. But if its going to fall, that's when it will. Summer and fall are long and dry. Summer temperatures depend on where you are. Typical highs might be 70 in Santa Monica but 100+ just over the hill into the San Fernando Valley. Distance from the ocean and what's between you and the ocean make a HUGE difference in temperatures here. August and September tend to be the hottest months since the June gloom (low clouds that persist into afternoon) are gone by the.
You dont even live in Los Angeles so I dont know why you are even responding to this thread.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,549 times
it all depends where you go. every city has faults of some kind

Old 12-05-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Did you look any of this stuff up in the multitude of internet weather databases?
All my questions I have looked up on multiple places around the internet and other sources but I wanted hear from locals hence the title of the thread name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles