Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 10:06 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,408,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
I think it's cool that you want to pursue acting in Los Angeles, but as I stated in another thread, I would get an agent and pursue acting in another city and state before coming here. The competition here is no joke, unless you know people. You don't have a lot of money, and you said you'd only have $5,000 by 2015? I hate to break it to you, but you won't get far with that at all. I don't know when you're planning on moving, but 2015 isn't a good year. I'd save AT LEAST 10,000+ before moving here. Rent is not cheap, at all.

Why are you assuming you'd get to go to school for free? Out of state students pay more than in state, which I'm sure you already know. Also, government help? I don't want to sound mean, but that comes off really wrong. You sound like a moocher, honestly. You need to save your own money and pay your bills and expenses. Stay in Boston for a couple of more years and save more money. You don't want to be poor and "pay your dues" (not even really sure what you mean by that) in Los Angeles, trust me.

Good luck.
Bingo. The OP kind of sounds like he is living in a dream right now. Moving to LA job-less can be done, and I did it, but it doesn't seem like the OP is anywhere near ready for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 10:11 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,246 times
Being a videogame player and imagining you are ready to be a videogame tester is like saying you eat three meals a day and thinking you're ready to open a restaurant.

Many people move to LA without a job but with far far more preparation than the OP (if he's not joking) has or intends to get. LA is not a kind of city to the un-grounded new arrival. If the OP is for real, I'd suggest moving to a different city if, as it appears, his main issue is feeling 'done' with Boston (which I can understand) and ready for a change of scenery.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:20 PM

210 posts, read 305,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Being a videogame player and imagining you are ready to be a videogame tester is like saying you eat three meals a day and thinking you're ready to open a restaurant.
I know that, if you haven't read my long explanation as to what a video game tester is you'd know that I understand the job and all of its hefty requirements. I'm not one of those "hardcore" video games players that plays CoD for 8 hours a day and spends all his money on the new games. CoD sucks as an online game and new video games drop in price pretty quickly. While I am a hardcore gamer, I'm not the type who takes QA Testing lightly and thinks that it'll be fun. It won't be fun, it'll be a job and I already work 16 hours a day so I'm used to long shifts and I'm educated on this particular career.

As for people getting mad at me for asking for government assistance, I'm pretty sure I made it clear that I wanted to know about it AS A LAST RESORT in case of an emergency. I am not the type of person who thinks they can just get up and go anywhere and get entitled to free benefits. If I live there for a while and somewhere down the line if something goes wrong I wanted to know what my options would be. I'm really just trying to do the smart thing and be informed about it. I'm not seriously thinking about moving and trying to get welfare. That kind of defeats the point and besides even if I did try and do that, clearly it would never work out. I know people living in West Hollywood if I'm ever in dire need I know where to go before moving back. I understand your state has the highest debt in America and you wouldn't want your taxes going needlessly going towards me and I understand that. You don't think there are people and policies I wish my hard earned taxes wouldn't go to? That's how its like everywhere and its a fact of life. We wish the economy was bigger, but its not, and that's the reality of the situation. At most the only funding I would ever "take" would be to go towards a CC and you got to admit that's pretty noble compared to the way other residents spend the tax money. One person trying to get an education isn't going to make a difference. Oh yeah and by the way 2015 and $5000 is a rough estimate. That's what I'm hoping for but obviously, the more the better. If I want to be a resident eventually, I'll become a resident. No one else gets to make that choice, I do. If you have a problem with people moving to state because of its condition than you'll have to get over it because there will always be people looking to move to LA, there seems to be a good amount of people moving out too. Also I think someone on this thread or another suggested San Diego because it's much cheaper. So if you think that's a better suggestion than LA let me know from personal experience. Web pages can only tell you so much. I'm also fond on San Francisco too but as far as I know that's pretty pricey too.

I'd actually like to thank the person who told me to look into Westlake, really affordable. I've been looking into it even though it may not be the most interesting neighborhood it's definitely is a good community to look in to for beginners. It wouldn't be a bad idea to look into learning Spanish too, since the area is mostly Latino and being bilingual will help me get a job, which are mostly restaurants but if I have to I will. As for the car situation I'm starting to understand that I'll definitely need one so getting my license is also a goal for me too. So learn Spanish, get license, make money. Seems like a good plan to me at the moment.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:47 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,829,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightfapper View Post
everyone's cheering you on buddy, except for a couple naysayers, never mind those jokers.

anyway, have you considered joining the circus? the pay's pretty good, you can work on your acting skills and get started right away.

plus you'll travel all over the united states and meet tons of interesting people.

it seems like the perfect situation, you can merge all your unique talents into one spectacular way of life: performing, rapping, animals, etc.

at night time, break out your gameboy and play some tetris. or pocket pinball. that way you'll have all the bases covered.
Someone in another thread said you were quickly becoming their favorite troll. I would have to agree. This post tickled me.

OP, you can sleep on my couch in my section 8 apartment and I'd even be willing to through you a portion of my welfare check just to **** off more of these so-called Californians. If you knock a girl up and pop out a few kids by 2015, bring them too. Let the people's tax money go to work.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
Someone in another thread said you were quickly becoming their favorite troll. I would have to agree. This post tickled me.

OP, you can sleep on my couch in my section 8 apartment and I'd even be willing to through you a portion of my welfare check just to **** off more of these so-called Californians. If you knock a girl up and pop out a few kids by 2015, bring them too. Let the people's tax money go to work.
Christ can't you people be a bit positive or even pay attention for that matter. Ya know people like you guys are the reason why our youth is always discouraged from doing anything. Like no snarky comments or trolling will get me to not move to Cali so just shut it if your really going to be rude about it. I know your state is poor and probably overpopulated. Like I said before my presence isn't going to make that much of a difference so get used to it or get over it. People are going to want to relocate to California.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:47 PM

14 posts, read 13,667 times
Go for it...
"All men start at the same place. How bad they want it determines where they finish". I have 30+ years on you and what I see from your generation is settling for being mediocre. Have a good plan, don't go off half cocked and work your arse off. If one man has done it another man can.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by werff View Post
Go for it...
"All men start at the same place. How bad they want it determines where they finish". I have 30+ years on you and what I see from your generation is settling for being mediocre. Have a good plan, don't go off half cocked and work your arse off. If one man has done it another man can.
We don't want to settle for mediocre its almost like we don't have a choice since the world isn't like it used to. Back in your time you could live in LA with the clothes on your back and a minimum wage job. Nowadays there's more people around and more demand it's much harder than it once was. I personally don't want to settle for being mediocre. I want to be apart of the rich and fancy one day. But my family is not rich and if I move that far away from them than I basically have most of my resources cut. A big price to pay for change. I wish I could tell you that I had a plan but its basically to survive and thrive.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:43 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,792,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontworryboutit View Post
I know that, if you haven't read my long explanation as to what a video game tester is you'd know that I understand the job and all of its hefty requirements. I'm not one of those "hardcore" video games players that plays CoD for 8 hours a day and spends all his money on the new games. CoD sucks as an online game and new video games drop in price pretty quickly. While I am a hardcore gamer, I'm not the type who takes QA Testing lightly and thinks that it'll be fun. It won't be fun, it'll be a job and I already work 16 hours a day so I'm used to long shifts and I'm educated on this particular career.

As for people getting mad at me for asking for government assistance, I'm pretty sure I made it clear that I wanted to know about it AS A LAST RESORT in case of an emergency. I am not the type of person who thinks they can just get up and go anywhere and get entitled to free benefits. If I live there for a while and somewhere down the line if something goes wrong I wanted to know what my options would be. I'm really just trying to do the smart thing and be informed about it. I'm not seriously thinking about moving and trying to get welfare. That kind of defeats the point and besides even if I did try and do that, clearly it would never work out. I know people living in West Hollywood if I'm ever in dire need I know where to go before moving back. I understand your state has the highest debt in America and you wouldn't want your taxes going needlessly going towards me and I understand that. You don't think there are people and policies I wish my hard earned taxes wouldn't go to? That's how its like everywhere and its a fact of life. We wish the economy was bigger, but its not, and that's the reality of the situation. At most the only funding I would ever "take" would be to go towards a CC and you got to admit that's pretty noble compared to the way other residents spend the tax money. One person trying to get an education isn't going to make a difference. Oh yeah and by the way 2015 and $5000 is a rough estimate. That's what I'm hoping for but obviously, the more the better. If I want to be a resident eventually, I'll become a resident. No one else gets to make that choice, I do. If you have a problem with people moving to state because of its condition than you'll have to get over it because there will always be people looking to move to LA, there seems to be a good amount of people moving out too. Also I think someone on this thread or another suggested San Diego because it's much cheaper. So if you think that's a better suggestion than LA let me know from personal experience. Web pages can only tell you so much. I'm also fond on San Francisco too but as far as I know that's pretty pricey too.

I'd actually like to thank the person who told me to look into Westlake, really affordable. I've been looking into it even though it may not be the most interesting neighborhood it's definitely is a good community to look in to for beginners. It wouldn't be a bad idea to look into learning Spanish too, since the area is mostly Latino and being bilingual will help me get a job, which are mostly restaurants but if I have to I will. As for the car situation I'm starting to understand that I'll definitely need one so getting my license is also a goal for me too. So learn Spanish, get license, make money. Seems like a good plan to me at the moment.
San Diego isn't that much cheaper than Los Angeles, actually. It's pricey there, too. If you want to stay in LA County and live cheaper, I'd suggest Palmdale or Lancaster. It's at least an hour away from Los Angeles City, but at least it's a lot cheaper.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
San Diego isn't that much cheaper than Los Angeles, actually. It's pricey there, too. If you want to stay in LA County and live cheaper, I'd suggest Palmdale or Lancaster. It's at least an hour away from Los Angeles City, but at least it's a lot cheaper.
Yeah I know but I think we're all forgetting the real reason why I'm moving to LA, to get to where the entertainment is. Palmdale is pretty far off from LA. Even if I did drive how am I ever going to get to auditions on time as an inexperienced driver? I'm trying to pay my dues and work hard but I shouldn't make things unnecessarily hard.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:19 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,792,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontworryboutit View Post
Yeah I know but I think we're all forgetting the real reason why I'm moving to LA, to get to where the entertainment is. Palmdale is pretty far off from LA. Even if I did drive how am I ever going to get to auditions on time as an inexperienced driver? I'm trying to pay my dues and work hard but I shouldn't make things unnecessarily hard.
Well, you definitely can't move to San Diego, which is even further away from Los Angeles (at least a two hour drive). My sister hasn't been driving for too long, and she drives from Redding to Los Angeles when she can...that's a six to seven hour drive. Getting from Lancaster/Palmdale to Los Angeles won't be hard.

You need to think about your options. Based on what you're telling us, Palmdale/Lancaster is a logical answer in terms of your living question. You said you're planning on moving here with $5,000... That's Palmdale/Lancaster-type money, and, as some of us already said, it won't get you far in Los Angeles (maybe two months). Now, if you do like some of us said and save more money and get some decent jobs before moving here, then you probably won't have to live far out. But if you're planning on moving here with only $5,000, Palmdale/Lancaster is your answer.

Finally, you need to work your way up to the entertainment business. It's not just going to fall into your lap. You need to do what you need to do for a couple of years to get on your feet and survive (if that means living further out and paying cheaper prices, then so be it). THEN you can focus on trying to get some entertainment jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles