Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 08:07 PM

67 posts, read 97,417 times

Advertisements

Only housekeepers, crackheads and peasants ride public transit in Los Angeles.

I tried going car-less after moving there from Mexico City, that experiment lasted about 2-3 days. The system is an absolute joke.

Headed over to Audi of Downtown and picked up an A4.

You need a car, there's no getting around it. Even if it's a $3k beater, just do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 08:27 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,031,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtosf1995 View Post
I'm probably moving to Northern California, but to most people in the east coast LA has this certain appeal (perfect weather, hollywood etc), I know that's mostly fantasy but I'm still curious. I've seen a bunch of studios on craigslist for like 800-900 bucks in the East Hollywood. I'm a waiter and I see a lot of jobs online in WeHo and Hollywood. I don't drive (vision issue, can't pass license eye exam) and likely never will. Is it feasible to be able to go to work, go food shopping, go to the doctor, go out to clubs and bars (and come home late -like 2-3am-) using public transport if I live in the area around Sunset, Santa Monica, and Hollywood Blvd's? I'm from New York and most people I know don't have a car unless they have kids or something, so there isn't a stigma attached to riding the bus, are people who use public transport in LA stigmatized? I ask this because I've spent some time in Miami and although they have a lot of buses down there, mostly only recent immigrants and bums use them and if you tell people you don have a car they treat you like you're poor.

This is just curiosity, I'm probably moving to SF but LA has always intrigued me, it seems a lot cheaper, and I'd like to consider all my options.
The problem here in LA is urban sprawl. We don't have that lively downtown area with all the clubs, restaurants, and shops close in. Everything is in districts (jewelry district, clothing district...etc.) and spread out.

Like when you say LA has Hollywood... well Hollywood is 15 miles from LA city. There are great spots that you could live quite easily without a car. Ventura Blvd in Woodland Hills comes to mind. Tons of restaurants, clubs, and businesses mixed with upscale apartments, condos and homes. Santa Monica Blvd, Culver City, PCHwy in the beach cities, all have similar areas.

Other than staying in areas conducive to such a thing...

like the song goes "Nobody Walks in LA"

Old 04-18-2014, 09:16 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,305,577 times
Hollywood IS the city of LA, and if you mean how far it is from Downtown, it's more like 5 miles or less, not 15.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:07 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
The problem here in LA is urban sprawl. We don't have that lively downtown area with all the clubs, restaurants, and shops close in. Everything is in districts (jewelry district, clothing district...etc.) and spread out.

Like when you say LA has Hollywood... well Hollywood is 15 miles from LA city. There are great spots that you could live quite easily without a car. Ventura Blvd in Woodland Hills comes to mind. Tons of restaurants, clubs, and businesses mixed with upscale apartments, condos and homes. Santa Monica Blvd, Culver City, PCHwy in the beach cities, all have similar areas.

Other than staying in areas conducive to such a thing...

like the song goes "Nobody Walks in LA"
Woof bad post. On so many levels.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:48 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,305,577 times
Yeah, Ventura Blvd in WOODLAND HILLS? NEver knew so many nightclubs and destinations were in Woodland Hills .

We have districts?

Old 04-20-2014, 10:00 AM

17 posts, read 20,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
NEver knew so many nightclubs and destinations were in Woodland Hills .
Haven't you heard? It's the hottest neighborhood in town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
We have districts?
Well, there's the Arts District, the Fashion District, the Flower District, the Jewelry District, and the Wholesale District, all of which are separated by yards and yards of surface streets, sidewalks, bus routes, bike lanes, and train tunnels.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:15 AM

26 posts, read 27,278 times
You don't need a car, I would commute via Metro bus , Dash or Metro Rail ( Train).

Old 04-22-2014, 09:00 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
I think it would be pretty difficult and limiting...but definitely not impossible.

I was born in L.A and have lived here pretty much all my life.

Especially my situation now where I work and live, would be pretty impossible by bus.

There definitely is a stigma against people that don't own a car in L.A

I do agree though that the cost of owning a car is quite high when you add it all up.

Areas are spread out and it is nice to explore the different areas, in my opinion.

A lot of people complain that all the interesting stuff isn't concentrated in one Downtown area like some cities..but then there wouldn't be the opportunity to explore though different offbeat types of areas.

The nice thing in L.A is you can pick the type of area you want to hangout in based on your mood.

Different areas have a different feel/vibe.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:50 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times
If you never leave West Hollywood, Hollywood, or Downtown it's very possible.

But like many others said it limits where you can work very much without avoiding a 2-3 hour + commute, and if you don't live in Hollywood and need to get to the valley (outside of directly North Hollywood) it would take a while - but of course - if you are patient and don't mind a 2 hour commute to go 10 miles for work then it may work.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:15 AM

8 posts, read 11,275 times
I live in LA without a car or bike. I will probably get a bike soon but right now i operate perfectly fine just walking and using the metro system where needed. No issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles