Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 10:38 AM

23 posts, read 25,325 times

Advertisements

I'm making the move back to L.A. after living away for the last 10 years. I'll be back in town with my boyfriend this June and need some focus in terms of what area to live in, what car to buy, and basically getting a handle on the overall lifestyle choices we should make. Now, of course I've thought about this (with my bf) a lot but I figured why not open the discussion up for some input from random people

Here's a little information to help get you started:

We're a gay couple. I'm 29 (business owner) and he's 25(working actor).
Income: My income: $10,000 per month (gross), We save all of his income
We don't want to buy a house
I prefer to live on ground level in a house that has a small back yard
He prefers to live in a condo with a view
We only have a couple of friends in L.A.
I will be working from home
We'll need a car
We both enjoy nice meals out but also cook a lot at home
We're both into staying fit

I might think of other things but consider it a blank slate in terms of lifestyle design. We're starting from scratch.

How would you allocate the income? (budget)
What area of L.A. would you recommend to a couple like us?
What type of car would you buy?
How do you feel about condo vs house in L.A.?

Any suggestions other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 01:18 PM

659 posts, read 1,172,822 times
Pay everything 50/50 and have your own savings and retirement accounts since he is your "boyfriend" and not your spouse

Santa Monica

Townhouse with 2nd floor view and a yard

Prius

Old 04-23-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNITYinternational View Post
Pay everything 50/50 and have your own savings and retirement accounts since he is your "boyfriend" and not your spouse

Santa Monica

Townhouse with 2nd floor view and a yard

Prius
Thanks for the suggestions. The plan is to be married but not until we've settled in after the move. We've combined our expenses and savings for the last 3 years. We're both "all-in".

Hadn't really considered Santa Monica. I'll look into it.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:50 PM

659 posts, read 1,172,822 times
Well continue with the same budgeting system and maybe establish a basic cost of living budget based upon the lowest average annual income of one person that way if there are employment gaps or downsizing you can manage with minimal stress. Surplus income can be used for retirement, continued savings, individual retirement, extras and travel.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:13 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Single story with a yard and with a view---in the hills, like the Hollywood Hills, Santa Monica Mountains all the way to the ocean, or Pacific Palisades, Malibu hills, etc.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNITYinternational View Post
Well continue with the same budgeting system and maybe establish a basic cost of living budget based upon the lowest average annual income of one person that way if there are employment gaps or downsizing you can manage with minimal stress. Surplus income can be used for retirement, continued savings, individual retirement, extras and travel.
My thinking as well. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Single story with a yard and with a view---in the hills, like the Hollywood Hills, Santa Monica Mountains all the way to the ocean, or Pacific Palisades, Malibu hills, etc.
On a $10k month income? Not sure that's possible

Old 04-23-2014, 02:21 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALifestyle View Post

We'll need a car
A couple of key points needed:
--Where is your boyfriends' job (or, if he has lots of short jobs, were do they tend to be). Pick a place with a fairly easy commute to his work.
--Do you want to be able to go out every night or do you prefer a quiet stay at home life?
--You have a couple of friends in LA, do you want to live near them?
--Do you want to live in a neighborhood with a lot of fellow gay people? How about a neighborhood with a lot of fellow actors? Do you care how old your neighbors are? (Some really nice neighborhoods may have residents who are mostly 35+, is that ok?)

Taking a wild guess based on what you've provided, I'd suggest Rancho Palos Verdes or San Pedro. This is assuming that you are seeking a quiet neighborhood, don't want to go out every night, and don't care if you're in a neighborhood where there may not be lots of other gay people (and probably not that many people your age). However, you're near the beach, it's gorgeous. and there are lots of ways to work out. You can find plenty of places to live that are on the ground level, yet have a view. You will have plenty of hiking and bike paths in the hills, which will help you stay fit. Lots of people in RPV work from home, so you would have a network of other people around, which could be handy. Gardening is incredibly easy near the beaches due to the sand in the soil, which will help you cook nice dinners.

If you want to go out all the time or be near a younger crowd, Santa Monica or the other beach cities would work too. But they will be pricierand you probably won't get a place with a view.

Last edited by Caladium; 04-23-2014 at 02:30 PM..

Old 04-23-2014, 02:42 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,387,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALifestyle View Post
I'm making the move back to L.A. after living away for the last 10 years. I'll be back in town with my boyfriend this June and need some focus in terms of what area to live in, what car to buy, and basically getting a handle on the overall lifestyle choices we should make. Now, of course I've thought about this (with my bf) a lot but I figured why not open the discussion up for some input from random people

Here's a little information to help get you started:

We'll need a car

I might think of other things but consider it a blank slate in terms of lifestyle design. We're starting from scratch.

How would you allocate the income? (budget)
What area of L.A. would you recommend to a couple like us?
What type of car would you buy?
How do you feel about condo vs house in L.A.?

Any suggestions other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!
This is fun. I'll pretend I'm you. Here's what I'd do:

Budget: 30% rent, 30% gas and food, 25% bills, 10% entertainment, 5% savings.

What area: NELA (your orientation is a non-factor)

What car: small SUV hybrid

Condo v house: house

Old 04-23-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
A couple of key points needed:
--Where is your boyfriends' job (or, if he has lots of short jobs, were do they tend to be). Pick a place with a fairly easy commute to his work.
--Do you want to be able to go out every night or do you prefer a quiet stay at home life?
--You have a couple of friends in LA, do you want to live near them?
--Do you want to live in a neighborhood with a lot of fellow gay people? How about a neighborhood with a lot of fellow actors? Do you care how old your neighbors are? (Some really nice neighborhoods may have residents who are mostly 35+, is that ok?)

Taking a wild guess based on what you've provided, I'd suggest Rancho Palos Verdes or San Pedro. This is assuming that you are seeking a quiet neighborhood, don't want to go out every night, and don't care if you're in a neighborhood where there may not be lots of other gay people (and probably not that many people your age). However, you're near the beach, it's gorgeous. and there are lots of ways to work out. You can find plenty of places to live that are on the ground level, yet have a view. You will have plenty of hiking and bike paths in the hills, which will help you stay fit. Lots of people in RPV work from home, so you would have a network of other people around, which could be handy. Gardening is incredibly easy near the beaches due to the sand in the soil, which will help you cook nice dinners.

If you want to go out all the time or be near a younger crowd, Santa Monica or the other beach cities would work too. But they will be pricierand you probably won't get a place with a view.
--Where is your boyfriends' job (or, if he has lots of short jobs, were do they tend to be). Pick a place with a fairly easy commute to his work. -
He works on features and that takes him away from home so being near work isn't important. I'm in e-commerce and work out of a home office
--Do you want to be able to go out every night or do you prefer a quiet stay at home life? -
We enjoy dinners at good restaurants and drinking at bars but don't go to clubs (dancing). We do have people over for big dinners a few times per month.
--You have a couple of friends in LA, do you want to live near them? -
I really don't care.
--Do you want to live in a neighborhood with a lot of fellow gay people? How about a neighborhood with a lot of fellow actors? Do you care how old your neighbors are? (Some really nice neighborhoods may have residents who are mostly 35+, is that ok?) -
It doesn't matter if people around us are gay or not. Most of our friends tend to be straight men. Not really concerned about age of neighbors. My youngest friend is 22 and my oldest friend is 65. Neighborhood of actors? Not if I can help it!

Adding RPV and San Pedro to the list of places to look.

Thanks again!

Old 04-23-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
This is fun. I'll pretend I'm you. Here's what I'd do:

Budget: 30% rent, 30% gas and food, 25% bills, 10% entertainment, 5% savings.

What area: NELA (your orientation is a non-factor)

What car: small SUV hybrid

Condo v house: house
That's a lot of gas and food!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles