Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 03:56 PM

79 posts, read 157,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mw02066 View Post
Nope, not true. Kay so heres the thing, already calculated costs based on what we earn now, what we spend now, and what we will earn there. And wow! We arn't idiots and it works out. Look, we know it will be effing hard. I'm not some spoiled brat whose never worked a day in her life, kay, been at it since I was thirteen. Been making ends meet for a long time, been homeless before, and ****s hard no matter where you go.

So instead of these responses try a hand at being helpful, okay?
These are honest responses. I will speak from personal experience since I did something similar.

When I was 19, I moved to California from NY with a friend. We had close to $5,000 between us. This was in 2006. We had moved to San Diego, which has a cheaper COL than Los Angeles. We, like you, were content with minimum wage jobs to start out just so we could get established. It's very difficult to find a place to live without a regular income. Eventually, we were able to convince someone to rent out a room from their apartment to us so long as we paid upfront. We did, and a month later, we were both kicked out once the owner of the complex caught wind.

My friend was spooked, being 19 with no prospects (he couldn't find a job during this time - with plenty of restaurant and hospitality experience), so he went back to NY to try and figure things out again.

In that time, I realized my prospects were very bleak. Even with my money saved up, I had nowhere to go and no job. Eventually, I was looking on Craigslist and various job outlet websites and saw more gigs in Sacramento than other places. I drove up here and found someone willing to rent a room out of their house by paying 6 months ahead.

Long story short, I'm still here 8 years later. I don't love this city, and I don't hate it, but this wasn't the California dream I envisioned. I've been on my own since I was 17, so I wasn't a spoiled brat either - I've always fended for myself. My decision, in hindsight, was terrible and I regret it.

Do not move out here without $10,000. Realistically, $5,000 will not cut it. If you think you can just waltz in to a full-time entry level fast food gig it won't happen.

Obviously, my story is unique, but if you're expecting someone to paint a rosy picture without being realistic it's not going to happen. Best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 04:07 PM

581 posts, read 920,634 times
Maybe you should read this:

Rents in LA skyrocketing faster than SF

Old 04-27-2014, 05:28 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
Nope, not true. Kay so heres the thing, already calculated costs based on what we earn now, what we spend now, and what we will earn there. And wow! We arn't idiots and it works out. Look, we know it will be effing hard. I'm not some spoiled brat whose never worked a day in her life, kay, been at it since I was thirteen. Been making ends meet for a long time, been homeless before, and ****s hard no matter where you go.

What's not true?

If "homeless" is an option for you then facts don't mean much. To NOT be homeless you need something other than your plan. Harsh but true.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:31 PM

943 posts, read 1,198,371 times
Venice & Santa Monica must be a better place if your homeless than Skid Row in DTLA.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:42 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:

So just telling you what you want to hear is then only way to be helpful?

OK, you're right, you won't need a car. And yes $5,000 is more than enough.

Maybe you girls can rent a house in Malibu.

Whose Kay?

Old 04-27-2014, 08:52 PM

23 posts, read 25,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Other Self View Post
These are honest responses. I will speak from personal experience since I did something similar.

When I was 19, I moved to California from NY with a friend. We had close to $5,000 between us. This was in 2006. We had moved to San Diego, which has a cheaper COL than Los Angeles. We, like you, were content with minimum wage jobs to start out just so we could get established. It's very difficult to find a place to live without a regular income. Eventually, we were able to convince someone to rent out a room from their apartment to us so long as we paid upfront. We did, and a month later, we were both kicked out once the owner of the complex caught wind.

My friend was spooked, being 19 with no prospects (he couldn't find a job during this time - with plenty of restaurant and hospitality experience), so he went back to NY to try and figure things out again.

In that time, I realized my prospects were very bleak. Even with my money saved up, I had nowhere to go and no job. Eventually, I was looking on Craigslist and various job outlet websites and saw more gigs in Sacramento than other places. I drove up here and found someone willing to rent a room out of their house by paying 6 months ahead.

Long story short, I'm still here 8 years later. I don't love this city, and I don't hate it, but this wasn't the California dream I envisioned. I've been on my own since I was 17, so I wasn't a spoiled brat either - I've always fended for myself. My decision, in hindsight, was terrible and I regret it.

Do not move out here without $10,000. Realistically, $5,000 will not cut it. If you think you can just waltz in to a full-time entry level fast food gig it won't happen.

Obviously, my story is unique, but if you're expecting someone to paint a rosy picture without being realistic it's not going to happen. Best of luck to you.
Thank you for sharing your story. Even if she won't pay attention to it perhaps someone else reading it will.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:12 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,921 times
Quote:

Why do you have a 'tude?

No one said you were an idiot. We are genuinely trying to help and give you advice, you just don't want to accept the advice we're giving you.

Again, save more money and look for a job that pays more than minimum wage. And what do you mean when you say "nope, not true"?

Old 04-28-2014, 01:01 AM

21 posts, read 25,678 times
Living in Los Angeles is very expensive. Better have a backup budget that will pay for your apartment just in case you can't find a job yet.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:58 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Why do you have a 'tude?

No one said you were an idiot. We are genuinely trying to help and give you advice, you just don't want to accept the advice we're giving you.

Again, save more money and look for a job that pays more than minimum wage. And what do you mean when you say "nope, not true"?
Because she is a 20yr old "know it all" who doesn't want to hear anything other than what she wants to hear.

You have to wonder has she even been off the east coast? My guess would be NO.

And if she is as charming in person as she is on here, good luck even getting a low paying job in LA. There are plenty of young people who come out looking to get into acting who have people skills and a decent personality who will be getting those survival jobs.

She needs to lose the attitude and double her savings, or stay in MA.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:32 AM

601 posts, read 755,654 times
If you're coming here with nowhere to stay, you'll blow though that amount of money in a month. Since no landlord will rent to you without proof of employment, and since you're coming without jobs, you will have to stay in a hotel or a hostel, and will have to eat out every meal since you'll have no means to cook. Accommodation and food will easily destroy your budget before you can even find a job. You can't move here and rent a place before you get a job - trust me, I tried.

So if you're still crazy enough to try, you'll both have to find jobs asap - but once you start looking, you'll soon realize that you're competing with millions of people who are more qualified than you. Unfortunately you can't expect to be able to move here and land a job within a week, or even a month.

If there's no stopping you, then...*shrug* good luck?

Honestly if you're looking for somewhere warm, easier to get a job, lower costs of living, I'd recommend Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles