Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 12:12 PM

28 posts, read 40,584 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles, Cleveland and Detroit are the only cities that have been experiencing negative job growth for two decades and Los Angeles tops them both. And we wonder why the few corporations we have left in LA seem to be heading for the exits.

Quote:
L.A. goes 23rd straight year without job growth

Los Angeles County lost more net jobs than any large metropolitan area in the nation between 1990 and 2013, due to its high cost of living, unfriendly business climate and poorly educated workforce, a new UCLA report concludes.

“To put this in perspective, L.A. has gone 23 years without positive job growth,” wrote economist William Yu in the annual forecast of UCLA’s Anderson School of Management, released today.

The county experienced a 3.1 percent decline over the period. Only two of the nation’s 32 largest cities shrank their workforces during that time: Cleveland (-0.2 percent) and Detroit (-2.8 percent).

The starkly negative report on the economic health of the nation’s largest county, with a population of 10 million, contrasted Los Angeles with nearby suburban counties and with other, more dynamic cities across the nation.

l.a. Goes 23rd straight year without job growth - l.a. Biz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 12:30 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,467,801 times
don't worry, there's more than an ample supply of young people moving to LA dreaming of being actors and rappers and living on the beach

Old 04-29-2014, 12:40 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,141,859 times
It doesn't make sense though. If we are losing jobs, then why in the unemployment rate decreasing? Shouldn't the opposite be happening?

and why is this happening? L.A. Employers Added 19,000 Jobs in March | Los Angeles Business Journal

Who's right and who's wrong? Very confusing stuff.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:08 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,821,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
It doesn't make sense though. If we are losing jobs, then why in the unemployment rate decreasing? Shouldn't the opposite be happening?

and why is this happening? L.A. Employers Added 19,000 Jobs in March | Los Angeles Business Journal

Who's right and who's wrong? Very confusing stuff.
Job decline does not automatically equate to unemployment increase. We can lose a job and the person working that job to another state.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:13 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,141,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
Job decline does not automatically equate to unemployment increase. We can lose a job and the person working that job to another state.
It's all quite confusing to be honest. I mean, you have a report like his saying LA is losing jobs, and I've seen other reports like that, but then I see reports showing our unemployment rate decreasing and reports like the one posted showing we added 19,000 jobs in March. I mean, what can we believe?

Old 04-29-2014, 01:32 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,543,078 times
The unemployment rate is going down (at least it was) and LA county has more people than it has ever had. So at what point will this negative job growth translate into cheaper rent and housing?? When will I be able to afford the kind of newer nicer apartment I had in Texas with rent under 2k? I hope soon...

Old 04-29-2014, 01:43 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,324,858 times
Maybe why we pay out 2x our 'share' in Welfare based on population?...

Old 04-29-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
The unemployment rate is going down (at least it was) and LA county has more people than it has ever had. So at what point will this negative job growth translate into cheaper rent and housing?? When will I be able to afford the kind of newer nicer apartment I had in Texas with rent under 2k? I hope soon...
Many of those rents are probably being paid by money generated outside the state or country.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
don't worry, there's more than an ample supply of young people moving to LA dreaming of being actors and rappers and living on the beach
Yeah many of the posters that post on CD wanting to move to L.A are from out of state in their late teens or early twenties without skills and usually without education whose plan is to move here and are fine with living in their cars as a backup plan.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:06 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,634,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
That's true..if our population was stable or decreasing. But our population has been growing rather dramatically. The following cannot simultaneously occur:

1. Increasing population
2. Decreasing unemployment rate
3. Stagnant or negative job growth

At least one of those premises must be false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles