Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 12:23 PM

21 posts, read 22,624 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I actually live in Montreal, Canada and I will move to the US with my boyfriend.
I'm still hesitating btw South Florida and Los Angeles, South Florida looks better on paper (closer to home and Europe, cheaper, lower taxes ,I love the weather there, water and I know well the place).
But it looks like we could have a hard time to find a well paid job (100k+) in our fields (Network Architect and SAP consultant) and we don't speak Spanish.
That's why I'm considering actually LA, I love the city, it's huge and I found the people friendlier and laid back, we are gay interracial and I think LA is one of the most tolerant big city in the US, so It shouldn't be a problem, right ?
What do you think of the actual IT market in LA in Networks and SAP ?
LA is the colder we could handle actually, having lived in Canada we had enough of cold weather
Thanks for your answers !

Last edited by cedros123; 05-05-2014 at 12:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 01:05 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Have you cleared this through immigration first? You know that people just can't decide to move to the US, live here and legally work, right?

Homepage | USCIS

Old 05-05-2014, 01:08 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Have you cleared this through immigration first? You know that people just can't decide to move to the US, live here and legally work, right?

Homepage | USCIS
I assume they would get married with the citizen petitioning for the Canadian.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post

Homepage | USCIS
Yep, we have work permit.
I have L1 and my BF will have his L2 so basically he will only have to find a job and I will work in one of my actual company office in the US

Old 05-05-2014, 02:52 PM

925 posts, read 1,333,851 times
LA IT market is comparable to markets like Atlanta, Boston, Denver, etc However, the problem is that the jobs are spread out among wide areas which may lessen your options because of commute. IT jobs seems to be distributed among santa monica, culver city, glendale, downtown, OC (irvine, new port) etc

Old 05-05-2014, 07:50 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times
You can make less and get more living in Florida. Why do you need to speak spanish to do SAP? The difference in cost on living is probably $30,000 gross at highe tax rates or LA. So instead of making 100k you only need 70k.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:25 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev Poonjabi View Post

Plus, LA isn't a very tolerant city, it's actually very uptight, boring and conservative in most places. South Florida is way more tolerant, especially Miami, anything goes.
They even tolerate midnight fapping...

Old 05-05-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
You can make less and get more living in Florida. Why do you need to speak spanish to do SAP? The difference in cost on living is probably $30,000 gross at highe tax rates or LA. So instead of making 100k you only need 70k.
Thanks a lot for your replies.
I know that I have to make less in South Florida but I'm not convinced that there's so many tech job opportunities there.
When I check on indeed.com, there's 5 times less jobs offers in South Florida than LA in SAP or Networking, is there really a shortage there ?
Good to know that I don't have to speak Spanish, I asked because I saw people tell that we have to speak Spanish to work in Miami ...
I love South Florida but maybe LA could be better for our careers ...
Thx for your advises ...

Old 05-05-2014, 09:42 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
If you like South Fl and know it well Id try for a job there .

I'm wondering too if there might be more jobs in LA.. But also more competition ?

Also you only need to get 1 job

LA is pretty gay tolerant but I think South FL is as well .
Wilton Manors is a large gay neighorhood in the Fort Lauderdale area .

Old 05-06-2014, 10:06 AM

38 posts, read 70,509 times
From what I've seen on Craigslist, the IT market is wide in L.A. Although this is comparing it to Lehigh Valley Pennsylvania. So compared to where I live, I have seen a new IT Support Technician job on Craigslist daily in L.A. and have seen multiple.

So for me personally, it could be easy getting a job in the IT field but I'm unsure because I do not live in L.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles