Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 11:30 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,285,015 times

Advertisements

Live in Burbank! I'm one of Burbank's biggest advocates. It is LA county's hidden gem. IT's safe, affordable, spacious, has good city services, and isn't far from all the action. You get a high standard of living with koreatown prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 02:12 PM

274 posts, read 1,214,206 times
Atwater is kind of young and walkable...then you just ride up the river or through the park...thirty mins bike ride to Burbank....just a younger vibe than Burbank maybe.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:27 AM

19 posts, read 28,740 times
Well I'm back, and I looked at (or tried to look at, but a lot were taken) about 6 places today in Burbank. I took my bike and boarded a bus and just rode around for 8 hours, getting more familiar with the area. A studio with a lease for 1165, and another for 1175, both in the same neighborhood were my first apts (Angeleno and glenoaks). The 2nd one was pretty nice but seeing as I'd only JUST started my job that week, the manager wouldn't rent to me. She was nice though, and I understand, I wouldn't want to live there anyway because of their no-noise policy. I'm a musician. Not inconsiderate, playing at night and all, but I'd still like to jam out loud sometimes on the weekend where I'm not bothering anyone.

A bunch of others I traveled to only to find they were already rented, VERY quickly.

Final place I saw was too good to be true, but I checked it out anyway. I could get my own room/bathroom in a luxury building rooming with another (way more established and rich) musician for 1100, no deposit, paid utilities. The catch is it would only be for one month, because he's leaving, and unless I find more roommates, I would too.

Another catch is that the guy does drugs, but he doesn't really party at home. Normally I'd be against this, but seeing as I'm desperate and in a rush (gotta find a place by the 15th), and the place is so awesome, I'm putting aside judgementality as long as it won't affect me. He seems like a cool guy, and he understands that the hardest thing I want to do is the occasional beer. What's the worst that could happen? Do you have any advice with that?

But the way I see it is that at least gets me in Burbank, 10 min bike ride from work, and during that month I can look for a more permanent place, rather than having to commute in order to search.

Tomorrow I'm going back to search closer to Glendale and possibly Sherman Oaks and if that falls through I'm jumping on the luxury deal before it's gone.

That is at Buena Vista & VanOwen, btw, good area? It IS above Burbank Blvd so not sure if that makes it iffy.

Last edited by Sy_Mercade; 05-11-2014 at 12:41 AM..

Old 05-11-2014, 12:46 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,293,109 times
If the places are renting that quickly, you shouldn't have a problem taking over the lease and finding another roommate to move in with you after he leaves. A month of living with him might not be too bad. Just make sure to stick to yourself and hide your valuables in case he needs some cash for drugs.

The only thing that can happen is if he gets caught and police raid your house, they might be able to pin something on you. But if he's not doing it in the house and you don't do drugs yourself, I think you should be okay.

Like you said, it's temporary. Might be awkward living situation for a month, but it'll help you out in the future.

I can't really comment too much on the neighborhood, but for a month, you should be fine.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:37 PM

15 posts, read 20,953 times
I lived in Burbank for 3 years and loved it, except for the terrible heat in the summer. I lived in a nice, well kept apartment owned by a private landlord, on Victory and Buena Vista, with a great Ralph's supermarket across the street (seriously, I miss that Ralph's!) I always felt extremely safe, I miss that.

Oh, my rent was $1100 for a one bedroom, but when I moved out the owner upped it to $1250 for the next tenant. Garage would have been $50 extra but I didn't need it, there was always ample street parking.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:41 PM

19 posts, read 28,740 times
Well thanks all, I've taken the place for now. But you can bet I'll be back throughout the month, since I still must find something a bit more permanent. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles