Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 01:01 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times

Advertisements

So what job is it you think you can do, that no American can do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 01:40 PM

31 posts, read 44,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkyPunks View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but to stay you'll need a work-sponsored visa, right? I have lots of friends from out of country, and they have all had to deal with a LOT of stress and problems with their visas...getting work sponsorship is a lot harder than it sounds.

LA and SF are both nice cities, but you should choose where you can most likely find work, that's more important than anything else IMO.
Yeah that's true

Old 05-13-2014, 02:32 PM

367 posts, read 672,993 times
Venezuelan moving to the US with a cryptic self employed job description.

Are you a plug?

Old 05-13-2014, 02:38 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,787,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
act!

Old 05-13-2014, 02:57 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Just so you know, that's completely illegal, and if you get caught you get deported.

But as long as you know...*shrug* it's up to you...

If you're going to be a student, you should choose based on what school you want to attend/what field you want to study. Of course, that's assuming you actually want to go to school? I'm pretty sure that you can't even get a student visa without already being accepted into a university...?

Thank you!

The US really needs to crack down on this.

You can't just move to Australia or even Mexico so freely.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:49 PM

601 posts, read 755,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Thank you!

The US really needs to crack down on this.

You can't just move to Australia or even Mexico so freely.
Actually, I think that the US is fairly strict about legal immigration. OP seems to think he can skirt the law without getting caught...I think the chances of getting caught are higher than he might think.

Although personally, I think allowing visa students to study here, but not hold a simple part-time job to pay for their tuition, is a bit unfair. But the law's the law and it's not gonna change.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:45 AM

17 posts, read 21,690 times
Okay please stop, you're all being either racist because I'm Venezuelan or just making it LOOK harder for me who knows why.

Quote:
Just so you know, that's completely illegal, and if you get caught you get deported.

But as long as you know...*shrug* it's up to you...

If you're going to be a student, you should choose based on what school you want to attend/what field you want to study. Of course, that's assuming you actually want to go to school? I'm pretty sure that you can't even get a student visa without already being accepted into a university...?
I have already been accepted by UCLA I have a Visa appointment for 10th June

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALifestyle View Post
Please realize you'll have to show your ability to finance your stay without working. Meaning you'll have to have a bank account with approximately $2,000 per month (for the length of stay) in addition to your school tuition for living expenses. You can't just say you "freelance".
I don't really have to explain this to you since almost all of you are being so harsh but I already did (already got accepted), and even though I dont have a job or own a company I mostly buy, fix (I'm not the mechanic behind all of it, there's more money involved) and sell cars I have enough in my bank account to live there for 2 years without any income (of course that's why I cant rent expensive places I need to make more money and I will)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Never said that no American can do it I just said I don't need a job for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjt123 View Post
Venezuelan moving to the US with a cryptic self employed job description.

Are you a plug?
No, I am not a "Plug" (I had to look up that Word to know what it meant)

Quote:
Actually, I think that the US is fairly strict about legal immigration. OP seems to think he can skirt the law without getting caught...I think the chances of getting caught are higher than he might think.

Although personally, I think allowing visa students to study here, but not hold a simple part-time job to pay for their tuition, is a bit unfair. But the law's the law and it's not gonna change.
Yes the US is very strict about Illegal Immigration, but I'm not Illegal at all, you already know I'm not Illegal so you can stop whining about a New commer being able to fix his way up for a good life in your country
PS: many many people warned me about this but I said to myself nah It can't be that bad, I just hope you are a minority and hopefully after I move there which I already have a date for, people will be friendlier and not prejudge me like that, you were more focused on talking trash instead of actually giving advice... Good night everyone.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:16 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
Your money will go farther in LA than in SF. Your rent will be cheaper and almost everything will be cheaper. But, you either need to buy a car or live in specific neighborhoods with good bus access. I don't think you're allowed to own a car or motorcycle with a student visa because you need a drivers license and insurance.

And yeah, you need to be careful about working here. Idk how you plan to do it on your own, but when I lived in Madrid, a few of us tutored kids in English. Stuff like that is easy. Working with cars is probably harder, but I guess buying from auctions or craigslist ads is probably okay.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:40 AM

17 posts, read 21,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Your money will go farther in LA than in SF. Your rent will be cheaper and almost everything will be cheaper. But, you either need to buy a car or live in specific neighborhoods with good bus access. I don't think you're allowed to own a car or motorcycle with a student visa because you need a drivers license and insurance.

And yeah, you need to be careful about working here. Idk how you plan to do it on your own, but when I lived in Madrid, a few of us tutored kids in English. Stuff like that is easy. Working with cars is probably harder, but I guess buying from auctions or craigslist ads is probably okay.
I can get a license without being a citizen thanks anyways for your post.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:22 AM

23 posts, read 25,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bltrn View Post
Okay please stop, you're all being either racist because I'm Venezuelan or just making it LOOK harder for me who knows why.

I don't really have to explain this to you since almost all of you are being so harsh but I already did (already got accepted), and even though I dont have a job or own a company I mostly buy, fix (I'm not the mechanic behind all of it, there's more money involved) and sell cars I have enough in my bank account to live there for 2 years without any income (of course that's why I cant rent expensive places I need to make more money and I will)

Harsh? I was very simply telling you that you would need to show financial independence. There is absolutely nothing racist about it.That is exactly the truth and based on what you're saying here, I guess you can show that.

Don't go around playing a victim. Los Angeles has plenty of people already doing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles