Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2014, 02:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,154 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

I have to relocate to the Los Angeles area for work within the next year and a half. I've lived on the East Coast for my entire life, so I'm currently trying to prepare myself and figure which areas of the city/which neighborhoods I prefer, so that I have some ideas when it comes time to do the actual house-hunting.

I've been browsing through current listings, looking at maps, and reading up on the area, and so far, the only neighborhood that has really caught my eye is Cheviot Hills. I love the homey/familial feel (quiet, tree-lined streets, decent front yards etc). However, the area seems to be kind of out of the way and after reading about it on these forums, it seems like most people don't feel it's the best option.

Does anyone know of any neighborhoods that similar to or better than Cheviot Hills?

My job will have me travelling throughout the county more often than not, so there's not really one specific place that I'll need to commute too. Schools are not an issue either.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 03:14 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,189,154 times
cheviot hills a great area if you can afford it. i'd live there in a heartbeat if i could. most of LA proper is built on a giant grid, which allows easy cut through access for cars. Cheviot hills is not like this, which makes it quite unique and desirable (though motor ave is heavily traveled). the only comparable areas not in the actual 'hills' with relatively easy freeway access would be around ucla in westwood. i'm not sure where you got the 'out of the way' idea from, as CH is just north of the 10 and near the 405 as well. it's also nearby more than one major job center (century city, westwood, beverly hills, etc.) read: not out of the way.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:17 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,592,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kels9151 View Post
Hi everyone.

I have to relocate to the Los Angeles area for work within the next year and a half. I've lived on the East Coast for my entire life, so I'm currently trying to prepare myself and figure which areas of the city/which neighborhoods I prefer, so that I have some ideas when it comes time to do the actual house-hunting.

I've been browsing through current listings, looking at maps, and reading up on the area, and so far, the only neighborhood that has really caught my eye is Cheviot Hills. I love the homey/familial feel (quiet, tree-lined streets, decent front yards etc). However, the area seems to be kind of out of the way and after reading about it on these forums, it seems like most people don't feel it's the best option.
Mainly due to schools (notoriously awful), being overpriced, and not walkable. Some regard its inhabitants as surly and hostile, a reputation reinforced by the Expo Line debacle. I wouldn't want to live there considering housing prices and rents there. It's poor value for money.

Quote:
Does anyone know of any neighborhoods that similar to or better than Cheviot Hills?
Beverlywood, Culver City, Rancho Park, Mar Vista, Westchester, Ladera Heights - all similar. Also parts of Westwood.

Some Valley neighborhoods are similar.

Last edited by majoun; 05-19-2014 at 03:46 PM..

Old 05-19-2014, 03:24 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,446,238 times
Used to live in Rancho Park near Cheviot Hills. It probably seems more out of the way because it's kind of secluded in a way , it has the feeling of being a private type of community.

The neighborhood in Sherman Oaks north of Ventura Blvd kind of reminds me of Cheviot Hills.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:31 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,786,961 times
wassup holmes...there's a lot of homies in my neighborhood in east los...

Old 05-20-2014, 09:01 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,900,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
The neighborhood in Sherman Oaks north of Ventura Blvd kind of reminds me of Cheviot Hills.
How far north? I'm not too familiar with the Valley, but some say that once you get north of the 101, it starts to get dicey.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:46 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,446,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
How far north? I'm not too familiar with the Valley, but some say that once you get north of the 101, it starts to get dicey.
Oh sorry...I meant South of Ventura blvd..not north.

Yeah in the valley generally the residential areas are nicer South of Ventura Blvd.
Of course more expensive too, but the homes are generally bigger,etc too..

Old 05-21-2014, 12:34 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,948,475 times
I first glance, I thought it said horny. What would those be...tbh?

Old 05-21-2014, 10:04 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,786,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
I first glance, I thought it said horny. What would those be...tbh?
encino...most of the valley

Old 05-21-2014, 01:20 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,337,794 times
Personally, my favorite neighborhood in LA is Hancock Park. I take it since you're coming from the East Coast, the older style of homes make you feel more comfortable and "homey". Hancock Park is full of the older style homes like in Cheviot Hills. Many parts of the 90048 zip code have older homes.

Parts of Playa del Rey and Westchester are big on the family "homey" style, but good God those houses are ugly! Unless you're into the ugly suburban boxes of the 1950s.

Parts of Pasadena, South Pasadena, and San Marino in the San Gabriel Valley have the older homes as well. The Bixby Knolls neighborhood of Long Beach also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles