Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 12:36 AM

96 posts, read 170,415 times

Advertisements

I have always enjoyed posts like these so I thought I'd make my own series of threads. Everyone has a different criteria for where they want to live and why, so my thoughts are exactly that - my own. I'm sure some will disagree but I'm just going to call it like I see it.

I'm looking for an area to buy a home, likely in 1Q 2015. I'm not from LA but I've lived in the area for over 10 years, albeit mostly in a suburban area. This year we're renting in an area in LA so it gives us the opportunity to explore areas that we may not be that familiar with. Here is what I'm judging areas on (again, to each his own):
- safety of family
- nice place for kids to grow up (good schools, nice parks, etc.)
- availability of modern home architecture
- budget $1-1.5M
- do NOT care about restaurants, bars, clubs, etc.

You might say that we belong in the suburbs based on the first two criteria, but good luck finding a modern home in the burbs, or getting the HOA/zoning nazis to allow you to build one.

Location is somewhat important, but for the sake of judging neighborhoods on their own merits, I'm taking that out of the equation.

I know that a few hours spent in a neighborhood doesn't paint a full picture, but I don't have time to spend 6 months in every area of the city so this is admittedly a superficial recap of first impressions. I'm happy to hear feedback of why things are different than they appear.

I plan to make a thread for each area. Up first: Mt Washington.

---

One of the more interesting areas I've explored in LA. I've heard it described as a "mix between Venice and Topanga Canyon" and a "poor man's Laurel Canyon". Both are apt descriptions. It's not very accessible which is probably how the residents would prefer it. And once you're in, it's a hilly maze. It must have been fun giving people directions 20 years ago without GPS. Even with GPS it's easy to make a wrong turn and end up on the wrong side of a mountain. The streets are too narrow for my liking, and more than once people had to back up and pull over when face to face with me or vice versa because there's only room for one car width at a time in many areas. After a while I began to feel pretty cramped, and I felt like I wore through half of my brake pads driving up and down the steep hills and switchbacks.

As with most of NELA, the houses are old, and not all have been kept up. I don't know of anywhere else in LA where there are shacks with million dollar views. Sure, there are some remodels and a few nice enclaves especially near the top on San Rafael that look nicer, but it's a mixed bag for the most part.

The terrain is very rugged and there are several areas that have not been developed, the latter of which is part of the appeal. There are winding roads in the area with no houses at all, and I even encountered a dirt road. Once you venture into the area you no longer feel like you're in LA.

Despite having a "country" feel I was disappointed with the lack of parks and recreation areas. I never did find a good way of accessing Elyria Canyon Park. Every road I tried ended in someone's driveway that may or may not have had legal hiking access. Would love to know where people go to get in there. The only park I found where kids could play is Moon Canyon Park, and that was pretty underwhelming. On the map there was something called "Carlin Smith Playground Park" that turned out to be nothing more than a ravine with an old basketball court. The only "playground" there was fenced off at the top as part of some rec center that was closed. The lack of parks and the fact that most houses are on sloped lots without yards make it pretty unappealing if you have kids. I read that the elementary school is highly rated so kids must live there, but I'd like to know what they do in their spare time because it's not like they can go out and ride bikes on the sidewalk or anything.

I was also disappointed with the lack of modern houses. Usually there is a higher density in rugged areas like this around LA. I've seen a few pop up on real estate sites but for all the driving around I did I didn't see a single newer-looking home with modern architecture. I'm sure for some this is a good thing.

For all the natural beauty of the landscape and wonderful views, it's a stark contrast if you ever have to leave your house to get groceries. At the bottom of the hill on the east side is Highland Park, which is reminiscent of a Detroit with palm trees. On the other side is Cypress/Glassell Park, which is about the same. These are supposedly "up and coming" areas, but they have a lot of up and coming to do. Mount Washington doesn't seem to have any amenities of it's own, so you'll be at the mercy of neighboring towns for better or worse. It's my understanding that different "Avenues" gangs still have a presence in these areas as well.

I have to admit that as I exited the area east on York it was quite a relief to hit the open spaces of South Pasadena, but perhaps I was fatigued from too much cramped zig-zagging through the hills. Probably not that big of an issue on a normal drive to and from your house.

Overall I found it to be an enchanting escape from the city but not without it's drawbacks.

PROS
On many streets you can get some amazing views.
"Away from the city" feel.
Price per sq. ft. is lower than many other hilly areas of LA.
Location (if you want to be close to Downtown but still feel like you're not in a big city).
Metro access near the Southwest Museum.

CONS
Surrounded by less desirable areas.
Lack of parks and open space.
Many homes are not well-kept.
Yards are few and far between.
Narrow streets.

VERDICT
I could live here, but it would have to be the right lot and home to take advantage of the area's biggest pro - the views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 12:46 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmo20 View Post
I have always enjoyed posts like these so I thought I'd make my own series of threads. Everyone has a different criteria for where they want to live and why, so my thoughts are exactly that - my own. I'm sure some will disagree but I'm just going to call it like I see it.

I'm looking for an area to buy a home, likely in 1Q 2015. I'm not from LA but I've lived in the area for over 10 years, albeit mostly in a suburban area. This year we're renting in an area in LA so it gives us the opportunity to explore areas that we may not be that familiar with. Here is what I'm judging areas on (again, to each his own):
- safety of family
- budget $1-1.5M

You might say that we belong in the suburbs based on the first two criteria, but good luck finding a modern home in the burbs, or getting the HOA/zoning nazis to allow you to build one.

Location is somewhat important, but for the sake of judging neighborhoods on their own merits, I'm taking that out of the equation.

I know that a few hours spent in a neighborhood doesn't paint a full picture, but I don't have time to spend 6 months in every area of the city so this is admittedly a superficial recap of first impressions. I'm happy to hear feedback of why things are different than they appear.

---

One of the more interesting areas I've explored in LA. I've heard it described as a "mix between Venice and Topanga Canyon" and a "poor man's Laurel Canyon". Both are apt descriptions. It's not very accessible which is probably how the residents would prefer it. And once you're in, it's a hilly maze. It must have been fun giving people directions 20 years ago without GPS. Even with GPS it's easy to make a wrong turn and end up on the wrong side of a mountain. The streets are too narrow for my liking, and more than once people had to back up and pull over when face to face with me or vice versa because there's only room for one car width at a time in many areas. After a while I began to feel pretty cramped, and I felt like I wore through half of my brake pads driving up and down the steep hills and switchbacks.

As with most of NELA, the houses are old, and not all have been kept up. I don't know of anywhere else in LA where there are shacks with million dollar views. Sure, there are some remodels and a few nice enclaves especially near the top on San Rafael that look nicer, but it's a mixed bag for the most part.

The terrain is very rugged and there are several areas that have not been developed, the latter of which is part of the appeal. There are winding roads in the area with no houses at all, and I even encountered a dirt road. Once you venture into the area you no longer feel like you're in LA.

Despite having a "country" feel I was disappointed with the lack of parks and recreation areas. I never did find a good way of accessing Elyria Canyon Park. Every road I tried ended in someone's driveway that may or may not have had legal hiking access. Would love to know where people go to get in there. The only park I found where kids could play is Moon Canyon Park, and that was pretty underwhelming. On the map there was something called "Carlin Smith Playground Park" that turned out to be nothing more than a ravine with an old basketball court. The only "playground" there was fenced off at the top as part of some rec center that was closed. The lack of parks and the fact that most houses are on sloped lots without yards make it pretty unappealing if you have kids. I read that the elementary school is highly rated so kids must live there, but I'd like to know what they do in their spare time because it's not like they can go out and ride bikes on the sidewalk or anything.

I was also disappointed with the lack of modern houses. Usually there is a higher density in rugged areas like this around LA. I've seen a few pop up on real estate sites but for all the driving around I did I didn't see a single newer-looking home with modern architecture. I'm sure for some this is a good thing.

For all the natural beauty of the landscape and wonderful views, it's a stark contrast if you ever have to leave your house to get groceries. At the bottom of the hill on the east side is Highland Park, which is reminiscent of a Detroit with palm trees. On the other side is Cypress/Glassell Park, which is about the same. These are supposedly "up and coming" areas, but they have a lot of up and coming to do. Mount Washington doesn't seem to have any amenities of it's own, so you'll be at the mercy of neighboring towns for better or worse. It's my understanding that different "Avenues" gangs still have a presence in these areas as well.

I have to admit that as I exited the area east on York it was quite a relief to hit the open spaces of South Pasadena, but perhaps I was fatigued from too much cramped zig-zagging through the hills. Probably not that big of an issue on a normal drive to and from your house.

Overall I found it to be an enchanting escape from the city but not without it's drawbacks.

PROS
Location (if you want to be close to Downtown but still feel like you're not in a big city).

CONS
Narrow streets.

VERDICT
I could live here, but it would have to be the right lot and home to take advantage of the area's biggest pro - the views.

Highland Park looks like Detroit? Detroit has craft donut shops?

Old 05-20-2014, 10:57 AM

15 posts, read 15,710 times
I'd say that with that housing budget, you could comfortably look into many other areas that would have more of the amenities you are looking for.

Are you strictly looking for modern homes that are newer construction? Not mid-century?

Old 05-20-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la_ennui View Post
I'd say that with that housing budget, you could comfortably look into many other areas that would have more of the amenities you are looking for.

Are you strictly looking for modern homes that are newer construction? Not mid-century?
I'm open to suggestions. In general I prefer newer construction. I like some mid-century designs but it would have to completely updated.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:16 PM

908 posts, read 1,302,670 times
Your general assessment of Mt. Washington is pretty spot on. There are some nice lots/houses here and there, but also a lot of older places that are a bit run down where you'd have to do a tear down or significant renovation. It also doesn't help that it's surrounded by marginal areas in the flats. While Mt. Washington Elementary is supposed to be very good, that is not the case for the middle schools and high schools.

If you have a budget of $1-$1.5M, your best bet is La Canada. Relatively similar bucolic setting up in the hills with lots of trees and greenery, but the schools are some of the best in LA and there are a lot more kept up homes with a mix of nice single-story ranch style homes as well as modern homes. It's also a great location because it's roughly at the intersection of the 210 and 2 freeways, so Glendale and Pasadena are only 10-15 minutes away while Downtown LA is 20-25 minutes away. You're very close to everything, but at the same time, it's a quiet and safe, family friendly location that is almost purely residential.

Although $1-$1.5M may be on the cheaper end for homes in La Canada, there are certainly homes for sale in that price range and even slightly lower.

If you are specifically looking for an area in LA city proper, the next best bet is probably Sherman Oaks/Encino, preferably south of Ventura. You still may have to opt for private school, but it seems to be one of the better places to raise a family in LA city proper.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
Your general assessment of Mt. Washington is pretty spot on. There are some nice lots/houses here and there, but also a lot of older places that are a bit run down where you'd have to do a tear down or significant renovation. It also doesn't help that it's surrounded by marginal areas in the flats. While Mt. Washington Elementary is supposed to be very good, that is not the case for the middle schools and high schools.

If you have a budget of $1-$1.5M, your best bet is La Canada. Relatively similar bucolic setting up in the hills with lots of trees and greenery, but the schools are some of the best in LA and there are a lot more kept up homes with a mix of nice single-story ranch style homes as well as modern homes. It's also a great location because it's roughly at the intersection of the 210 and 2 freeways, so Glendale and Pasadena are only 10-15 minutes away while Downtown LA is 20-25 minutes away. You're very close to everything, but at the same time, it's a quiet and safe, family friendly location that is almost purely residential.

Although $1-$1.5M may be on the cheaper end for homes in La Canada, there are certainly homes for sale in that price range and even slightly lower.

If you are specifically looking for an area in LA city proper, the next best bet is probably Sherman Oaks/Encino, preferably south of Ventura. You still may have to opt for private school, but it seems to be one of the better places to raise a family in LA city proper.
La Canada is a good suggestion. I've only been through there a couple times and it seemed a bit too rural. But I will add it to the list and do another report once I give it a closer look. It may fit the bill as a family area but with more diverse architecture.

Not a big fan of the valley but I will consider some areas south of Ventura if other areas don't work out.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:13 PM

248 posts, read 310,384 times
Quote:

- safety of family
- budget $1-1.5M

---

PROS

CONS
Narrow streets.

VERDICT
That's a CON right now but many of the surrounding areas are gentrifying. 15 years ago Highland Park was ground central for gangs in LA. Now its a hipsterville. Say what you want about hipsters but I prefer them to gang-banging thugs.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:16 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,386,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Highland Park looks like Detroit? Detroit has craft donut shops?
LOL... Did you miss this guy's previous thread?

Old 05-20-2014, 09:23 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,386,289 times
Quote:
I'm open to suggestions. In general I prefer newer construction. I like some mid-century designs but it would have to completely updated.
Could you explain what you mean by "modern houses"?

Old 05-20-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
LOL... Did you miss this guy's previous thread?
Next time I'll take some pictures of HP for you guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles