Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 01:53 PM

2 posts, read 152,197 times

Advertisements

I moved to los angeles from chicago about 8 months ago. Now we live in glendale and we hate it!!!! Some people are racist and we get very weird looks from the older people.(like you don't belong here looks) I work in vernon and my boyfriend works in santa monica. So we were looking at culver city because we think it would be a happy medium between the two cities we work in.

but glendale is very safe so we don't want to move anywhere that is not safe and has alot of crime. Can anyone give me some insight on culver city? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 01:57 PM

459 posts, read 1,411,904 times
my buddy lived there a year and didn't have any problems (a white 30yr old male).

Old 12-12-2007, 02:08 PM

2 posts, read 152,197 times
Default glendale or culver city

did your friend live in glendale or culver city?

Glendale is racist. I think that there are so many older people in glendale that don't understand that we all have to live in this world together whether we like it or not.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:45 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,464,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achitwood View Post
I moved to los angeles from chicago about 8 months ago. Now we live in glendale and we hate it!!!! Some people are racist and we get very weird looks from the older people.(like you don't belong here looks) I work in vernon and my boyfriend works in santa monica. So we were looking at culver city because we think it would be a happy medium between the two cities we work in.

but glendale is very safe so we don't want to move anywhere that is not safe and has alot of crime. Can anyone give me some insight on culver city? Thanks
Yes it is safe except for parts of western Culver City like around Culver and Inglewood (near the Mar Vista Gardens housing projects).

Try to stay east of the 405 but not everything west of the 405 is bad. Western Culver City merely demands more caution and investigation than the rest - e.g. one street can be just fine and another street won't be.

Best areas: by Veterans' Park and by the studios and the fixed up downtown (i.e.the central part of CC), or if you want more of a suburban feel Fox Hills (the southern part).

Old 12-12-2007, 03:22 PM

186 posts, read 657,416 times
I agree with the previous poster. Stay east of the 405. My family has lived in Culver City for 70 years and we have never been victims of crime there. HOWEVER, during the time I lived in Fox Hills (1999-2005) the Fox Hills Mall was nicknamed the "Murder Mall" because of all the things we'd heard happened there.

Fox Hills and that area tend to have more African Americans. The central part more whites and Asians and the northern part more Latinos. That said, it is a very diverse city.

One great thing about Culver City is how convenient it is to most parts of LA. You can get to the 405, the 10 or the 105 fairly easily, depending on where you settle.

I always felt safe in Culver City. Nothing bad happened to anyone I knew while we lived there. My children, my husband and I made close friends of different races.

In addition, dealing with Culver City government is a dream. Never a line. Everything is so convenient and easy -- unlike larger cities.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:14 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,492,707 times
Go for Culver City. You will enjoy it.

Glendale to Santa Monica is a long commute.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:12 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,867,232 times
Culver City is like alot of LA, nice looking on one street, seedy, a few streets down.

Western culver city is definitely run down, areas west of the 405.

Downtown looks great.

Venice Blvd has gotten run down. Not as bad as La Cienega or east of La Brea, its probably very safe, but I agree, demands more investigation. Traffic on that street can get absolutely crazy (well, all of la's traffic is crazy).

The area near Target, Toys R US, Jefferson, seems really nice. The area near Overland, the studios is nice.

The area near sepulveda, jefferson seems very nice, middle class streets.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:49 AM

5 posts, read 89,577 times
I used to live in Culver City, in the area near Overland, by the Toys R Us shopping center, and it was very nice. We never had any trouble, and it's a family oriented neighborhood. As long as you watch where you're going, because if you go too far in some directions, there are some bad parts such as past the 405, as the previous posts mentioned. I agree that the Fox Hills Mall is not a safe place to go, as it's been known for its gang shootouts and crime.
Also, you don't want to go into Inglewood, which borders part of Culver City.
Oh and if you want to go to a mall, go to the Westside Pavilion Mall, which is close by, instead of the Fox Hills Mall.
This city is a great choice.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:47 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,066,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPV2NC View Post
I agree with the previous poster. Stay east of the 405. My family has lived in Culver City for 70 years and we have never been victims of crime there. HOWEVER, during the time I lived in Fox Hills (1999-2005) the Fox Hills Mall was nicknamed the "Murder Mall" because of all the things we'd heard happened there.

Fox Hills and that area tend to have more African Americans. The central part more whites and Asians and the northern part more Latinos. That said, it is a very diverse city.

One great thing about Culver City is how convenient it is to most parts of LA. You can get to the 405, the 10 or the 105 fairly easily, depending on where you settle.

I always felt safe in Culver City. Nothing bad happened to anyone I knew while we lived there. My children, my husband and I made close friends of different races.

In addition, dealing with Culver City government is a dream. Never a line. Everything is so convenient and easy -- unlike larger cities.
And who said racism is dead? Apparently the card carrying member of the KKK who wrote this post hasn't been to the Fox Hills Mall lately. That area has been cleaned up significantly and is on par with the rest of Culver City. I notice that the KKK forgot to mention that during the late 80's and early 90's when gang violence peaked all the over LA and the statellite cities that the predominately White Westwood and 3rd Street Promenade had the same problem. LAPD and the satellite cty police departments worked together and cleaned up the Westside. Including the area near Fox Hills Mall (and that area is still predominately Black!) Check Culver City crime stats and you'll find that Culver City over all is very safe including the area near Fox Hill Mall.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:22 AM

76 posts, read 356,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
And who said racism is dead? Apparently the card carrying member of the KKK who wrote this post hasn't been to the Fox Hills Mall lately. That area has been cleaned up significantly and is on par with the rest of Culver City. I notice that the KKK forgot to mention that during the late 80's and early 90's when gang violence peaked all the over LA and the statellite cities that the predominately White Westwood and 3rd Street Promenade had the same problem. LAPD and the satellite cty police departments worked together and cleaned up the Westside. Including the area near Fox Hills Mall (and that area is still predominately Black!) Check Culver City crime stats and you'll find that Culver City over all is very safe including the area near Fox Hill Mall.
Very well said....As they say Ignorance is Bliss
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles