Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 02:03 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
You might want to consider looking for jobs in the same city. If you want to take advantage of the train system, you should restrict your job search to LA county. Costa Mesa is Orange County and Pasadena is one edge of Los Angeles county. There are trains that run into downtown la from about every direction.
Agreed. Why would your jobs HAVE to be in the cities you mentioned? People change jobs frequently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 10:03 AM

925 posts, read 1,333,521 times
Even though the OP have decided against moving to SoCal, i also agree that its best to move to one of the locations and just make one person suffer the crappy commute.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:02 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
If you really want to move to LA, it's doable to not have a horrible commute. But getting jobs almost 50 miles apart is a terrible idea in ANY city!! And honestly, commutes around an hour and a half are totally normal here. If you can get a job in downtown LA though, the metro is extremely easy. I'm glad you're reconsidering because it sounds like you were just settling for the first jobs available. Keep looking for jobs.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:21 PM

5 posts, read 5,366 times
Hey Guys ,

Thanks for all the comments. We went back to our potential employers to discuss this issue and my wife will have a chance to wfh which is a big relief for the short term. That has got us back in the game :-)
So in that case we are going to stay around the Pasadena area.

South Pasadena and La Canada are high on the list because of their excellent school district . But we are attracted towards high walkable areas like Old Town Pasadena . That area probably does not have a great school district so we might lean towards a Private School . But I am not sure how safe it is to live with kids out there.

Any recommendations on the Private schools in Pasadena ? We would be open to other areas as well .

Old 05-29-2014, 10:47 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
I'm not sure about the private schools in Pasadena, but I'm sure the public ones can't be that bad. It's still an upper middle class suburban city. San Marina has great schools as well and BEAUTIFUL homes! But it's very expensive. South Pasadena and La Canada are really nice places. I don't know much about schools, but Pasadena, South Pasadena, La Canada, and San Marino are all nice places to look at. You should be happy in any of them.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:43 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I'm not sure about the private schools in Pasadena, but I'm sure the public ones can't be that bad. It's still an upper middle class suburban city.
Yeah well you don't know what you're talking about. There's an entire thread discussing the quality of PUSD schools.

OP, what type of questions do you have about private schools in Pasadena? It has dozens. Here's a good website to start.

Pasadena Area Independent Schools

Old 05-30-2014, 06:38 AM

5 posts, read 5,366 times
Thanks HyperionGap . Yes I am aware of that thread and have been following that thread closely but feel there is a lot discussed there but other than saying that the schools are bad I didn't get any sense on which schools were good. I am sure not all private schools are all that hype that are made to be. And with more than dozen schools that's a lot to research . What are the more well known ones ? (and close to Old Town ) . I would just like to narrow down the names to 3-4 and start calling them before we step in Pasadena .

Old 05-30-2014, 10:13 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,421 times
It depends on which age your kids are. Assuming they're in elementary school, the "best" schools within 10 minutes of Old Town would be:

Chandler (k-8 independent)
Polytechnic (k-12 independent, most prestigious HS in the area)
Westridge (K-12, Girls only)
Mayfield (K-12, Catholic, Girls only for HS)

ALL of the schools might not be worth the hype. However, the top ones are worth it and more. If you have the finances to afford it, you shouldn't even think twice about sending your kids to chandler/prep/poly/westridge.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:43 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-lover View Post
Hey Guys ,

Thanks for all the comments. We went back to our potential employers to discuss this issue and my wife will have a chance to wfh which is a big relief for the short term. That has got us back in the game :-)
So in that case we are going to stay around the Pasadena area.

South Pasadena and La Canada are high on the list because of their excellent school district . But we are attracted towards high walkable areas like Old Town Pasadena . That area probably does not have a great school district so we might lean towards a Private School . But I am not sure how safe it is to live with kids out there.

Any recommendations on the Private schools in Pasadena ? We would be open to other areas as well .
It's very safe, I live about a mile from Old Town near the South Lake / Playhouse District in Pasadena (sort of all little parts of the greater downtown Pasadena area) and there are tons of kids of all ages in the neighborhood, from people like me with a baby to older parents with teens. It is also highly diverse, you see parents and kids of every racial background.

Also, if you are interested in South Pasadena it has a better school district and is just 1-2 stops (depending on what part of Old Town) away from Old Town Pasadena on the Gold Line. Mission Street between the Gold Line station and Fair Oaks Ave is also very attractive and walkable, though I am guessing rents are a premium compared to Pasadena proper (which is surprisingly a good value).

Old 05-30-2014, 10:49 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
Long Beach. Take the 710 to Pasadena and the 405 to costa Mesa. Both are terrible commutes though, you're in a tough spot unless one of you can work from home or work off hours.
Long Beach to Costa Mesa isn't that bad in the morning. Will take about 45 minutes in the evening (I do it almost everyday)
LB to Pasadena will take about 1 hour -1.5 hours either way.

Long Beach / Seal Beach / Los Alamitos would be good bets (Seal Beach has an awesome main street area, and is very friendly - Mayberry by the Sea).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles