Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 12:00 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayBay View Post
Yes I'm interested in clubs, bar, partying etc. But I'll probably be attending college parties heh

Coming to LA before deciding is no tan option
Harrier will assume that you consider both CSUN AND CSULB to be equal in terms of quality of major program and cost of education.

Harrier only mentions that because whether the school itself is the right fit for you should be the overriding factor.

You can always get to other places, but if both schools are "equal", why would you want to live in SM and go to CSUN when you can be 5 minutes from CSULB?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 12:17 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,628,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The light rail system goes directly to downtown L.A. from Long Beach.

From Santa Monica, you either need to take a bus or drive on the 10 freeway.

You do NOT want to drive a car into downtown L.A. - the parking alone will kill whatever budget you have unless you are filthy rich.

Harrier did successfully park at Flower and Venice one time and got back just before the meter maid!

He also parked on some side street west of the 110 off of 9th St. - but that was an exception.

It's best to be on foot in the heart of the city - and with rail service to one of your intended home bases, why wouldn't you?
Harrier is apparently unfamiliar with the multitude of $5 parking lots in DTLA.

Unless you'll be parking less than an hour, the parking meters in DTLA are almost always a ripoff(many are $4 an hour)

OP, no Long Beach is not isolated. And it's very close to outstanding beaches in Seal Beach and Huntington Beach.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:41 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,540,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayBay View Post
Hey,
So I am still debating whether I should attend CSUN and travel 30mins daily (would live in SM)
It's 30 minutes from Santa Monica to Northridge if you are going at 4am.

If you don't have classes at 4am, it will be a longer commute (45-60 min would be my estimate). Do not underestimate the suckiness of the 405.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:07 PM

78 posts, read 145,065 times
Ok, seems CSUN in general is non option , I don't wanna live in Northridge.

But Long Beach overall is great right? Has many Caucasians too? Was surprised to see that there are a lot of Caucasians in CSULB.

Which part of Long Beach is the BEST To live at? I prefer the beach, and easily accessible to the rest of LA.

Thanks

Old 06-13-2014, 03:18 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
been observing this thread with amusement. I did my undergrad at CSULB. It was a great experience. I was well- prepared in my major and the campus is beautiful and vibrant. I had a friend who went to CSUN. I visited her there once, it was not for me but she grew up in the Valley, a different world. Try to live in the Belmont Shore area of Long Beach, which is by the beach and bay. You will need roommates, but it's a happy place.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:23 PM

Plus, Long Beach is a huge city unto itself, you won't even need LA . Long Beach has it's own beach, plus shopping, clubs, activities, festivals, powwows, access to the beaches of OC. I loved it there.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:26 PM

78 posts, read 145,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
been observing this thread with amusement. I did my undergrad at CSULB. It was a great experience. I was well- prepared in my major and the campus is beautiful and vibrant. I had a friend who went to CSUN. I visited her there once, it was not for me but she grew up in the Valley, a different world. Try to live in the Belmont Shore area of Long Beach, which is by the beach and bay. You will need roommates, but it's a happy place.
I plan to live on my own, I can afford it. Belmont Shore is the best it seems?

BTW It's not about the campus, it's about the area
Thnx

Old 06-13-2014, 03:41 PM

Well, then stick around Belmont Shore or Belmont Heights, anywhere close to Ocean Blvd. or Second St. in Belmont Shore and also an area called Naples. Also the area right around the campus. But Belmont Shore is best. On the beach and 5 miles from campus.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:56 PM

52,258 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
Plus, Long Beach is a huge city unto itself, you won't even need LA . Long Beach has it's own beach, plus shopping, clubs, activities, festivals, powwows, access to the beaches of OC. I loved it there.
I live in the LB area and think it's great, I travel all over the whole LA basin for work and am fairly familiar with a lot of other parts of the greater LA area and I think LB is great, almost never need to leave it, it's a huge city with lots of entertainment and other things as well.

Santa Monica is way way overrated... but a lot of people like it... I think they just see a lot of movies with the Santa Monica pier in the background and think that that is "LA"....

Old 06-19-2014, 01:14 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Harrier will assume that you consider both CSUN AND CSULB to be equal in terms of quality of major program and cost of education. Harrier only mentions that because whether the school itself is the right fit for you should be the overriding factor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Harrier is apparently unfamiliar with the multitude of $5 parking lots in DTLA.
These two posts in conjunction have me dying of laughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles