Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 01:17 PM

3 posts, read 11,195 times

Advertisements

I was driving up PCH from Carlsbad to SF and in Long Beach there was a detour do to construction and it got scary ghetto pretty quick, rolled up the windows and follows the detour out. Is Long Beach really ghetto that close to PCH or was I overreacting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 04:43 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,772,404 times
Why do people worry about driving through a ghetto? At least in CA, its not like there are people with weapons and guns just waiting to do something to you because you are an 'outsider.'

This is just so unrealistic. Just go about your business and nothing will happened to you. No one cares about you, unless you are looking for trouble or lurking around in the evening in a bad place.

Ghettos have normal hard working people going about their lives. They deserve respect. Ghetto areas usually look more rundown because there is a flight of money and no investment in the area. That is not the fault of the people there.

Unfortunately for them, it does attract troublemakers, drug dealers etc...because of the lower cost of living. That brings a higher concentration of crime to these areas.

The whole ghetto tour thing is the most ridiculous thing I have every heard. Why not just have the balls to visit the communities and talk to people? Go to a local restaurant or liquor stores and talk to the locals. This is the problem with humanity now a days- take the time to make a human connection and you will see that we are all pretty much the same. There is nothing to worry about.

Being humble, saying hi and respecting others regardless of how much money they have does wonders. Its not like a majority of the people in these areas are looking to kill you.

Last edited by rosa surf; 07-26-2014 at 04:54 PM..

Old 07-27-2014, 08:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,221 times
Odd idea for a tourist trip, but it did get me thinking. I lived in Hawaiian Gardens K-5th (1969-75) and went to Ferguson Elementary. We lived on Pioneer. HG was ghetto when I lived there and I wondered how bad it is now. As a kid we had the run of the neighborhood and I never felt unsafe, even thought there was gang activity. I moved away from LA in 1980 and have never been back. I would like to see how things have changed since I left.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:12 PM

26 posts, read 27,196 times
If you don't gang bang you should have no problems, I agree with rosa surf.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:11 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,333,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post

The whole ghetto tour thing is the most ridiculous thing I have every heard. Why not just have the balls to visit the communities and talk to people? Go to a local restaurant or liquor stores and talk to the locals. This is the problem with humanity now a days- take the time to make a human connection and you will see that we are all pretty much the same. There is nothing to worry about.
I completely agree, thats the best way to travel anywhere.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:37 PM

110 posts, read 235,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanstan View Post
Odd idea for a tourist trip, but it did get me thinking. I lived in Hawaiian Gardens K-5th (1969-75) and went to Ferguson Elementary. We lived on Pioneer. HG was ghetto when I lived there and I wondered how bad it is now. As a kid we had the run of the neighborhood and I never felt unsafe, even thought there was gang activity. I moved away from LA in 1980 and have never been back. I would like to see how things have changed since I left.
still pretty much the same problems. still gang activities. shootings every now and then. at one point in the 90s the mexican mafia actually pretty much over took the city by getting its members elected to the city council. they stopped all police services from the sheriff's department and created the hawaiian gardens police department, headed by their own members. and then they were able to use the entire city operations to launder their money. luckily the lasd took action and got rid of them. but yeah, doesn't sound like it's changed much since you were there.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:42 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,097,455 times
Oy vey. Here we go again with preconceived notions. I know there is already a discussion around this, but I'll leave my two cents here for the next clueless person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
We are coming from NYC and understand that some ( or most) of these areas are very poverty stricken and are avoided by many.
No, they are, in fact, home to thousands of people. Yes, there is poverty. Yes, there is crime. No, you will most likely not see any of the latter and can easily avoid the former, as well.
Quote:
I just want to know if anyone has any tips or advice for us, We will be driving and just kinda wanna see how these "hoods" are. We wont be wearing any blue or red incase we decide to walk around.
They are neighborhoods, they aren't "hoods". Have some respect. "Training Day" was a great movie, but it sounds like you might have watched it or others like it once too often.
Quote:
The Valley - Panorama city, Arleta, Van Nuys , Pacoima, N. Hollywood, & Reseda
Panorama City, Pacoima and Arleta are very blue-collar. There isn't a whole lot to see there apart from strip malls (unless things have changed in the last five years)
North Hollywood is undergoing a revitalization. Same, to some extent, with Reseda. They were never "hoods" to begin with. Van Nuys is the center and the "capital", if you will, of the SFV. It has some rougher patches, but, like in the others, you won't be in any danger.
Quote:
South Central
I'm not even going to go there. Do your research about what "South Central" really is. In short - yes, there are gang territories. Yes, there are rough neighborhoods. No, you will not get shot.
Quote:
East LA
See above. You're talking about a LOT of communities under one umbrella.
Quote:
We dont want to get shot for just riding by...any areas we should absolutely avoid ??
Why would you be shot for just riding by, especially on major thoroughfares? How often do you hear of this happening that you are THAT concerned?
Quote:
We are not white and wont stand out.
Oh, for f$%&'s sake... Seriously? This isn't Lagos you're visiting.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
I understand your attempt be funny in a clever or kitschy way. But ....#FAIL... Sorry its just not funny. Lol just sorry
No, sir, when you take "media"-based stereotypes from twenty years ago and try to apply them to a broad swath of land and population that you haven't even visited yet, YOU fail. But thanks for trying.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:54 AM

Also, I hear Cudahy is lovely this time of the year...

Old 07-28-2014, 11:31 AM

115 posts, read 162,960 times
**** I hate these threads Lol. You can ride through bad parts of town you won't get shot and killed. Idk if its TV or the media that has made people think if you ride in a urban part of the city its gonna go downhill and you'll die. You will be fineeeee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles