Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 11:26 PM

45 posts, read 100,278 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I have looked at the California thread for several years now and I just finally registered My partner and I are relocating to California and we are looking at several different properties, but one in particular is near the Los Angeles County Sheriff's department (barely a block away) and it is on the southern side of Narbonne Ave. (almost into Rolling Hills) and on the south side of PCH.

We have done a lot of research on Lomita (90717 zip code) and we haven't been able to find a lot of crime in the area, which is great, but I just wanted some opinions from others that have lived here or know the area.

I will be working in Marina del Rey so if you have any thoughts on the commute as well, that'd be great.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 11:42 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,132,456 times
Brutal commute

Old 06-16-2014, 12:39 AM

okay thanks - any thoughts on the safety of the area though?

Old 06-16-2014, 05:23 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,775,303 times
I'd live in that area. The commute to MDR in rush hour will be over an hour, probably close to 1.5 after 7am. Also that area gets has a micro climate a little warmer than the surrounding area. You'll see a lot of road bicycle riders in that area on the weekends, be nice and don't run them over.

Last edited by thelopez2; 06-16-2014 at 06:08 AM..

Old 06-16-2014, 08:45 AM

@thelopez2 - thank you for that information!

do you have any suggestions on any websites to check on the crime in that area? we've looked across several, just didn't know if there was a particular one you would suggest. also, I just checked google maps for the traffic right now (it is 7:44 cali time) and it said the following:

* taking 107 N & Hawthrone Blvd would take 42 mins (19 miles)
* taking 405N would take 46 mins (19 miles)
* taking 110N and 105W would take 48 miles (25 miles)

Do you think this is accurate or should I just double the time?

Thanks for your help!

Old 06-16-2014, 09:28 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,775,303 times
Thats pretty accurate, the choke point on the 405 will be getting on the FWY and at La Tijera, I'd take the 105. Coming back, I'd take the longer scenic beach route. Keep in mind summer just started and school traffic isn't a factor anymore. 1.5 hours would be the most time you should need to allocate but you'll usually get there and back in less. Sometimes PCH and be really good and really bad, the traffic lights are timed very well south of LAX all the way through Torrance. LA traffic means you could be driving 65 on the freeway then stop and go, then hit 65 again, then crawl.

I can't point you to crime data because I've never looked at any. The dailybreeze.com is a local paper.

You'd also be about 2 miles from Costco, Sams Club, Whole Foods, Home Depot, Lowes, Bed Bath and Beyond, and Harbor freight. The only thing I'm unsure about is aircraft noise. Also keep in mind that Narbonne is one of the few ways in and out of the Palos Verdes area. They use to have a crime blog.

It is 8:30 now times are 50-57 minutes, if you look at the 405 you'll see what use to be little red spots are now longer red area

Last edited by thelopez2; 06-16-2014 at 10:05 AM..

Old 06-16-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Thats pretty accurate, the choke point on the 405 will be getting on the FWY and at La Tijera, I'd take the 105. Coming back, I'd take the longer scenic beach route. Keep in mind summer just started and school traffic isn't a factor anymore. 1.5 hours would be the most time you should need to allocate but you'll usually get there and back in less. Sometimes PCH and be really good and really bad, the traffic lights are timed very well south of LAX all the way through Torrance. LA traffic means you could be driving 65 on the freeway then stop and go, then hit 65 again, then crawl.

I can't point you to crime data because I've never looked at any. The dailybreeze.com is a local paper.

You'd also be about 2 miles from Costco, Sams Club, Whole Foods, Home Depot, Lowes, Bed Bath and Beyond, and Harbor freight. The only thing I'm unsure about is aircraft noise. Also keep in mind that Narbonne is one of the few ways in and out of the Palos Verdes area. They use to have a crime blog.

It is 8:30 now times are 50-57 minutes, if you look at the 405 you'll see what use to be little red spots are now longer red area
i definitely forgot to consider that school is out and that it is summer, since i don't have any kids it is easy to forget thanks for the reminder and thank you for the further clarification. we will definitely keep this in mind!

Old 06-16-2014, 11:47 AM

does anyone have any suggestions on somewhere closer to live vs. lomita?

my partner and I are looking for a studio (or even 1 bedroom) and we do have a small dog. we are wanting to stay below $1300/mo and be as close to marina del rey as possible.

any suggestions on areas would be great as well, since lomita seems to be too far of a commute.

thanks!

Old 06-16-2014, 11:54 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,132,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitsjhock View Post
does anyone have any suggestions on somewhere closer to live vs. lomita?

my partner and I are looking for a studio (or even 1 bedroom) and we do have a small dog. we are wanting to stay below $1300/mo and be as close to marina del rey as possible.

any suggestions on areas would be great as well, since lomita seems to be too far of a commute.

thanks!
i'd imagine you could find a place for that price in westchester, which is MUCH closer to the marina than lomita.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:20 PM

100 posts, read 128,104 times
Crime: Lomita is a pretty safe community as are most of the towns south of the 91 and west of the 110 since most either have their own PD or pay the LACSD big dollars to keep them that way. Mostly vehicle burglary, auto theft, and other property type crimes. Getting a house with a garage is good. Parking on a quiet street, not so much.

Commute: If you have a 9 to 5 in MDR, I would skip the whole 405 thing and grab a big coffee and roll Hawthorne to Rosecrans to Sepulveda and skip the nightmare on ramps. Plan on 45 minutes each way.

Vibe: Solidly middle class if not blue collar; lots of 2nd and 3rd generation aerospace industry workers. Not as scary as some places to the east or as uppity as some to the west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles