Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 09:53 PM

703 posts, read 870,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Kum-sok View Post
lmfao!

this is nothing more than wishful thinking. los angeles isn't "on the cusp" of anything.

it's a car-centric suburb, not a city. always has been, always will be. you'd have to knock the whole place down and start over to make it any different.
Los Angeles isn't really suburban-friendly. lol. It's like NYC. It's pretty much inner city (all of it), and the suburbs are pretty much NJ, and Connecticut. The only suburban-type place in NYC is probably Jamaica, NYC, NY.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:54 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
A study from GW shows that LA is on the verge of becoming a major walkable city. Unfortunately this has the effect of driving up rents in desirable areas.
Los Angeles is a very walkable city. You drive to the beach, walk up and down the Strand, then you get in your car and drive home.

You drive up to the mountains, you take a hike, you drive back home and maybe catch dinner on the way.

I don't get why out of state people keep trying to turn Los Angeles into New York City. We like our cars! We like our freedom! We don't like standing on the corner of an intersection with 500 people next to us.

Oh I forgot, we even drive to the malls and walk there, maybe pick up some good stuff. And then we drive home.

In Los Angeles we have the freedom to NOT walk! Try that in Brooklyn!

Old 06-18-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Los Angeles is a very walkable city. You drive to the beach, walk up and down the Strand, then you get in your car and drive home.

You drive up to the mountains, you take a hike, you drive back home and maybe catch dinner on the way.

I don't get why out of state people keep trying to turn Los Angeles into New York City. We like our cars! We like our freedom! We don't like standing on the corner of an intersection with 500 people next to us.

Oh I forgot, we even drive to the malls and walk there, maybe pick up some good stuff. And then we drive home.

In Los Angeles we have the freedom to NOT walk! Try that in Brooklyn!
NYC is among the safest places to walk.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:03 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,184,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
It's also one of the worst places to own a car, go for a drive, pick up a week's worth of groceries in one trip, have room to breathe, get a nice apartment without being a trust fund babby...

Old 06-18-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
It's also one of the worst places to own a car, go for a drive, pick up a week's worth of groceries in one trip, have room to breathe, get a nice apartment without being a trust fund babby...
You know trust funds are distributed across all classes, right? I mean, it's just a timed distribution of money from former assets, so if you have received a $1,000 trust, then woohoo. You'll get a few dollars every month. Seriously, NYC isn't the place to own a car. it's a no-no, unless you want to pay warehouse fees. Do you want an apartment? Get a good job, room with people at the same level, and then live it out in NYC.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Yeah, no kidding. It only seems like the people FROM California want to defend the place. I'm sorry, but I couldn't give one piece of my mind if I saw an ocean from my window, or not. I want a better house, not better accessibility to something that I don't even like.
It seems like the people FROM California want to defend the place??? Why would people from anywhere else want to defend Los Angeles?

You know it's a free country. Anybody who doesn't like Los Angeles is free to leave it whether or not they're from here.

I like a view. I can see 5 miles to the mountains from my bedroom or my back yard. I have shopping and all the major restaurants 5 minute drive from my home.

And best of all, I live in Los Angeles!!!

Hey if you read my old posts you'll see a period, I think 2011 or 2012 where I moved to Santa Fe NM for a summer. I loved the idea, I hated the shopping. Traffic was horrible. I learned my lesson. You can take the boy out of the city but you can't take the city out of the boy. It was a good lesson for me. I discovered what I missed about Los Angeles. I never would have known that if I had stayed here. I would have always wondered what it would be like to live somewhere else. I didn't like it. I came back and bought a beautiful house and I'm content to live the rest of my life here.

If I want seasons I'll drive some place with seasons and vacation there, and then I'll drive home and still appreciate L.A.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
And????

Old 06-18-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
It seems like the people FROM California want to defend the place??? Why would people from anywhere else want to defend Los Angeles?

You know it's a free country. Anybody who doesn't like Los Angeles is free to leave it whether or not they're from here.

I like a view. I can see 5 miles to the mountains from my bedroom or my back yard. I have shopping and all the major restaurants 5 minute drive from my home.

And best of all, I live in Los Angeles!!!

Hey if you read my old posts you'll see a period, I think 2011 or 2012 where I moved to Santa Fe NM for a summer. I loved the idea, I hated the shopping. Traffic was horrible. I learned my lesson. You can take the boy out of the city but you can't take the city out of the boy. It was a good lesson for me. I discovered what I missed about Los Angeles. I never would have known that if I had stayed here. I would have always wondered what it would be like to live somewhere else. I didn't like it. I came back and bought a beautiful house and I'm content to live the rest of my life here.

If I want seasons I'll drive some place with seasons and vacation there, and then I'll drive home and still appreciate L.A.
It's totally worth the extra $2M for the view.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Yeah! You get what I was saying earlier! In Los Angeles we have the freedom to NOT walk. In NYC it's very difficult to have a car because you need a place to park it when you're not using it, and when you get where you're going you need a place to park it too!

We have the freedom to NOT walk! Beat that!

Old 06-18-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Yeah! You get what I was saying earlier! In Los Angeles we have the freedom to NOT walk. In NYC it's very difficult to have a car because you need a place to park it when you're not using it, and when you get where you're going you need a place to park it too!

We have the freedom to NOT walk! Beat that!
Warehouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles