U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-16-2007, 05:32 PM

3 posts, read 4,026 times

Advertisements

My husband is already working off La Brea and has been there a little over 4 months. I have been two times looking for housing. We have a 10 year old and a 19 year old son (yes, same marriage!) and we need to figure out which area to live in. Elementary school for our 4th grader is really important. Our 19 year old is going to work and wait a year to get in state tuition.

There are several areas I like and have been looking on Craigslist and Westside Rentals every day to see what might pop up. These are the areas which I like and was wondering if I could get information from others who know the areas.

I like Studio City and Carpenter elementary. I visited with my 10 year old and we both really liked the school and after school program. This area is up and over the canyon and seems really close to where he is working.

I like a part of Glendale which is in the 91208 zip code area which is in Freemont elementary and within walking distance to Montrose and Honolulu Street-which I LOVE MARKETS and plan on working at several once adjusted.

South Pasadena was mentioned to us, but have NO idea about since it wasn't brought up to us unitl after I returned from California. I have been researching and it sound really nice and old Pasadena sound great.

We are leaving a large home and am really looking forward to downsizing and living in a bungalow style house/even condo in the beginning. We are looking to move January 15th and will need housing by Febraury 1st........do you think that will be possible to find within two short weeks after arriving? I am freaking out a bit, but am wicked (thats a New England word) excited to get out of this 18 inches of snow we just got today! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 09:54 PM

3,308 posts, read 9,144,939 times
If you can afford South Pasadena, that should be one of your top choices. Better yet, San Marino. Those two are in the San Gabriel Valley. Near the beach, check out El Segundo, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, Palos Verdes, and western portions of Torrance.

Where you move all depends on this though: What is your price range and where on La Brea will your husband be working. Where will you be working.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:03 PM

22 posts, read 58,140 times
I have a twelve year old and a thirteen year old. Thinking of moving from the mainline Philadelphia to south Pasadena, I am here now visiting my brother who is not married have children{not much help in the school department} Do you think the area off of East Del Mar BLvd. is safe for a family?

Old 12-22-2007, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainlinephilly View Post
I have a twelve year old and a thirteen year old. Thinking of moving from the mainline Philadelphia to south Pasadena, I am here now visiting my brother who is not married have children{not much help in the school department} Do you think the area off of East Del Mar BLvd. is safe for a family?
That's actually not S. Pasadena. It's regular Pasadena. It's not as nice as SoPas, but it's okay.

http://lalife.com/Pasadena
http://lalife.com/South_Pasadena

Old 01-24-2008, 06:45 PM

22 posts, read 58,140 times
Thank you so much for clearing up the diference areas of pasadena for me. I was not sure what would be better for me with two children in middle school. On
e is going into seventh and the other one eighth. I am also thinking of my husband. He owns his own electrical contruction business for over 20 years, commercial/industrial/generator busin. I also like Mission Viejo , OC but I do think there is going to be alot of "work" for my husband. What do you think?
Thank you for your input.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:05 PM

I actually prefer Mission Viejo. Not sure why, just do. I like that almost every house has a pool and there is also Lake Mission Viejo where you can go swimming and it's cleaner than the ocean. MV was rated the safest city in America, so that could be an incenctive. However, it's extremely suburban and it's difficult to get to LA proper for your husband. Another option is Thousand Oaks in Ventura County. MV and TO constantly fight over the top safest cities in America. OH S***!!! My lights just flickered from the strong winds over here. Are you in LA yet? Ok, back on topic. If he is still working off of La Brea though, South Pasadena and one of the beach cities is your best option. Where are you working? What is your price range? Do you enjoy moderate climates, or cold winters and hot summers?

Old 01-24-2008, 07:09 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,564,883 times
off la brea, where? the street stretches from the foot of the hollywood hills to hawthorne.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:16 PM

76 posts, read 225,653 times
Please specify what city or cross street your husband is working near.La Brea is a huge street.In L.A you should live as close to work as possible.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:10 AM

3,079 posts, read 7,154,638 times
Regular Pasadena is very nice, it is just the schools that are not so nice. My understanding is that there was a "white flight" in the 60s when integrated bussing started. When we left 3 years ago, 50% of the kids in Pasadena were going to private schools, including mine.

La Canada, La Crescenta, Arcadia, San Marino and S. Pas all border Pasadena and have good public schools.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
That's actually not S. Pasadena. It's regular Pasadena. It's not as nice as SoPas, but it's okay.

Pasadena, CA on LA Life
South Pasadena, CA on LA Life

Old 01-25-2008, 09:14 AM

Yep, San Marino is one of my favorite areas of LA. It's also one of the most expensive.

Almost anywhere in Pasadena is nice, but like I said, SoPas is better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles