Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 09:01 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,897,200 times

Advertisements

June Gloom has been around for as long as I've been in the South Bay, though I don't recall it actually having the fancy name back in the 70s.

What's Marineland? Now I really do feel old. Marineland was the precursor of Sea World. It sat out on the point of PV Peninsula with several aquatic displays and theaters for marine life performances. It was a great place for the local high school kids to pick up a summer job since the area was largely undeveloped back then. I spent 3-years in a snack bar at the place and was very sorry to see it demolished. Look for some episodes of Sea Hunt. Much of it was filmed at Marineland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 05:48 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,334,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
when she's reading lord of the flies, it will really be over!
WORST...BOOK...EEVVVEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hated it so much that I would cry when I had to read it. I threw it on the ground, at the wall, and eventually burned it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakehorror View Post
This seems aimed at Santa Barbara, is L.A. part of this June Gloom?
I think it is just anywhere on the coast. And, a little farther into the LA Basin, it can clear up at 10, but at the beach it's closer to noon or later. That's why I would go to the beach at noon, not 10.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:46 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,479,338 times
Default Here's what comes to my mind...

I attended LAUSD schools which provided a decent education. Now my high school is gangland (back in the 80s, "gang" was simply a less fancy name for "clique").

All of my fellow classmates spoke English (some, myself included, spoke another language at home) and we walked to school....sans parents!

Traffic wasn't nearly as bad but smog was horrible.

Minimum wage jobs were held by teens and college students.

You felt safe going to Magic Mountain.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:57 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,334,908 times
What do you mean by safe at Magic Mountain. I go there a lot.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:16 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,943,283 times
I dont even go to Magic Mountain anymore due to safety issues. It seems to be a haven for your south central/compton/south gate gang bangy criminal types who would try to stab or shoot you if you accidentally step on their shoes.

Magic Mountain used to be a fun place to go to with your family just like Disneyland until the low life's ruined it.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:49 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I dont even go to Magic Mountain anymore due to safety issues. It seems to be a haven for your south central/compton/south gate gang bangy criminal types who would try to stab or shoot you if you accidentally step on their shoes.

Magic Mountain used to be a fun place to go to with your family just like Disneyland until the low life's ruined it.
The way to go to these things is on corporate employee nights. Less lines. Big companies have these discounted or picnic nights for their employees when it is sort of only open to these corporations (something like that....). Took my wife a couple of years ago. No gang people. Just normal people. Even for Superman the line was maybe only ten minutes or so.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:28 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,587,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post

Considering that it's in between the northern Valley and the AV, both major gang areas, this isn't a big surprise.

I'd hate to imagine what Busch Gardens would be like if it was still open, considering where it's located.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:56 PM

413 posts, read 1,845,325 times
So, in the 70's the SFV was mostly white kids etc...and now it's gang infested? Is that correct? Any before and after pictures??????????????

Old 12-20-2007, 04:17 PM

32 posts, read 234,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The way to go to these things is on corporate employee nights. Less lines. Big companies have these discounted or picnic nights for their employees when it is sort of only open to these corporations (something like that....). Took my wife a couple of years ago. No gang people. Just normal people. Even for Superman the line was maybe only ten minutes or so.
yup.... i would never ever go on a regular night (unless i was 15 again and looking for girls)....... Corp employee night is the way to go.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:26 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,436,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I'd hate to imagine what Busch Gardens would be like if it was still open, considering where it's located.
Where's that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles