Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 03:41 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,057,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
Paradise

Reminds me of this song...

Phil Collins - Another Day In Paradise [Official Music Video] - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 11:25 PM

6 posts, read 12,671 times
There are people in the world that would give an arm or leg to live in that level of safety. Skid Row is Beverly Hills compared to parts of Africa, North Korea, and various warzones throughout the world.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:44 PM

8,257 posts, read 6,314,082 times
LA Dept. of Water and Power employees are the highest paid people on the planet for what they do.
All Los Angeles employees are in unions with unbelievable pay, Retire at 55, pensions, and healthcare for life. Theres plenty of taxpayers money for that.People who make one quarter of what they make pay for their lavish lifestyle.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:50 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,166,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
LA Dept. of Water and Power employees are the highest paid people on the planet for what they do.
All Los Angeles employees are in unions with unbelievable pay, Retire at 55, pensions, and healthcare for life. Theres plenty of taxpayers money for that.People who make one quarter of what they make pay for their lavish lifestyle.

...thank you for your contribution, Sean Hannity.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:22 AM

36,858 posts, read 17,234,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
...thank you for your contribution, Sean Hannity.
Lol.

Yeah, I was unaware that working for 30 years and then getting to eat and have access to medicine in retirement was considered "lavish".

Old 08-17-2014, 01:58 AM

311 posts, read 490,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
Paradise
There are many areas in the world , especially in third world countries that would rather settle for Skid Row than what they are experiencing, with no running water, food scarcity and lack of plumbing accessibility.

Not to dowplay what's occurring there , but compare to many countries, Skid Row has it made,

Old 08-17-2014, 02:16 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,488,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreau36 View Post
There are many areas in the world , especially in third world countries that would rather settle for Skid Row than what they are experiencing, with no running water, food scarcity and lack of plumbing accessibility.

Not to dowplay what's occurring there , but compare to many countries, Skid Row has it made,

Wow, let's play "Can You Top This" on how truly horrible the world is.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:13 AM

311 posts, read 490,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
Wow, let's play "Can You Top This" on how truly horrible the world is.
I volunteered at an resource center on Skid Row last year and the group went to Mexico on a missionary trip. After an humbling experience, I can tell you how fortunate I have it in this country.

True, Skid Row may not look appealing, but it's "paradise" in contrast to many parts of the world, where the population struggles to find food on an daily basis.

On the other hand, there are Veterans there that are getting the runaround seeking housing and many have given up as an result. Also, the number of services are decreasing because of the lack of funding and another mission is contemplating charging their clients for shelter beds (one mission is doing it already).

Old 08-17-2014, 10:21 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,208,797 times
LA Skid Row was portrayed in the classic film "Barfly", seems to be a lot more litter there now than there was back in the 80's when the film was made.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:36 PM

172 posts, read 273,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Quite a number of people in this country need help. Although we cannot seem to find the funding to help them, we can somehow manage to funnel billions of dollars a year in foreign aid to Israel. Why is that?
I totally agree. I don't think the US should give any foreign aid to anybody. We're not the world's welfare department and police force. Better to fix our own problems. Far as Skid Row homeless, some of them make alot of money, much more than the office workers. Offer them a job and they'll tell you straight out "no thanks. Why would I work for 50-100 a day when I could make 150, 200+ a day panhandling?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles