U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 10:49 PM

5,256 posts, read 12,565,187 times

Advertisements

Alamo Drafthouse Deal in Place for The Bloc on Seventh Street - News - LADTN

I thought this was pretty exciting news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 12:07 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,978,665 times
Here is a photo of what the mall looks like while it is being converted to El BLOQUE.

I didn't go any further than that because it reminded me of survival-horror video games.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:10 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,430,462 times
sounds like an interesting idea... almost like a cinema dinner show. But the big negatives would be having your movie interrupted by constant chatter, and waitstaff serving & clearing plates. Also patrons have more need to go to the restrooms so that blocks your view of the screen.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:15 PM

1,451 posts, read 1,361,487 times
just googled it; sounds sweeet! There is a theater very near that but this one should be quite unique with the movie selection and beers

Old 08-13-2014, 10:15 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,345,269 times
I'm so excited!! I miss these from Texas! These are the chain ones and not the original one in Downtown Austin which has the theme nights and talks from the actors or directors. I saw Harold and Kumar there with an all you can eat White Castle sliders night and a joint rolling competition.

But even the chain ones are nice. I can't wait to get my queso and some good Texas food. I hope they don't california-cize the menu. That would be criminal. I was so shocked when I moved to LA and they didn't have anything like it! We had all sorts of knock offs like movie tavern, studio movie grill, Star cinema grill, etc... all over Texas.

I did find the AMC Marina Del Rey to be very similar and actually a little nicer, but more expensive. The food is pretty good and the drinks are great!

Old 08-13-2014, 10:18 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,345,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
sounds like an interesting idea... almost like a cinema dinner show. But the big negatives would be having your movie interrupted by constant chatter, and waitstaff serving & clearing plates. Also patrons have more need to go to the restrooms so that blocks your view of the screen.
Um No!! Please Youtube Alamo Drafthouse noise. haha they have a VERY strict anti phone and anti noise ordinance. People talking or disturbing others are kicked out very quickly!

The waiters crouch down beneath the bar in front of you so they don't block you. You write down what you want on little slips of paper and clip them in front of you. If you order before the movie starts, it's like a normal restaurant. But once those previews come on, it is quiet in the house! They do a great job at that.

PLUS you can tell when the movie is going to end soon because they sneak in front of your bar and slide up a little black plastic thing with your check inside. You put your card there and they sneak back a few minutes later and take it. You're signing your receipt as the credits roll.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:06 AM

1,184 posts, read 2,426,342 times
There will be no issues w loud plates or waitstaff. These are great theaters. Even minus the food, these are great places to watch a movie as they're strict w noise and makes for a wonderful experience.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:57 PM

24,177 posts, read 13,685,578 times
I've been to a new AMC 'Dine In" Suites. It's a very nice theatre. You order typically before . The seats go back in the "Suites" theatres. Not just rock back, but actually has a remote control that moves the seats back and has your feet up. There is another one that has food as well, but the seats don't go back.
AMC Dine-In Theatres | Cinema Suites

It does make for a nice experience and makes it a little harder to go to a 'regular theatre'.

Also interesting is that the prices aren't too crazy..at least at the one in FL. I'm guessing they make a lot of their profit on the alcohol though.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:17 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,977,285 times
I Love, Love, Love Alamo Drafthouse! There is no issue with noise or food service, the wait staff are trained to be as unobtrusive as possible. The management have VERY STRICT rules about talking and texting, and those who have gone to one of the Alamo's know what I'm talking about. Very nice Movie going experience; and the food is decent too!

Old 08-15-2014, 02:19 AM

327 posts, read 638,021 times
Wow... You guys really have no clue, do you? Major pluses for having lived in Texas for a good part of my life. The Alamo was something my girlfriend and I looked forward to hitting up every weekend. I know that you guys are worrying about noise, but the Alamo has a zero tolerance to it. No, seriously, if they catch you bothering other people who pay good money to eat and watch a movie, you WILL be kicked out with your money thrown in your face. It's not like other theaters where they threaten to kick you out but they just give you a pat on the hand and allow you back in the theater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles