Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 02:36 PM

61 posts, read 258,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
There are some other postive things about living here though. The Patriots and the Red Sox. The Bruins aren't too shabby either. An unbelievable sports town.
how's your footie team?

yeah, i know.. everyone hates soccer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 02:43 PM

479 posts, read 1,236,955 times
I'll admit that the trees look kind of bleak and barren back east in the winter, but when spring comes and everything comes into bloom, it's to die for! I apologize for saying LA is a concrete jungle. It's not around the hills, but the center of the Valley is in my estimation.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:43 PM

2,392 posts, read 2,540,615 times
Default One if by land, and two if by sea

Quote:
...I live down the street from where Louisa May Alcott who wrote Little Women, from Nathaniel Hawthorne, Ralph Waldo Emerson, etc. My son's school is across the street from Walden Pond. It's just such a change to be surrounded by American history with homes dating back to the 1700's! I hope that those of you that have kids can bring them here some day to appreciate the history of how America gained their freedom and the birthplace of some of the great writer's of this nation.
Hi Puffle,

This sounds wonderful to me. The spirit, history and culture of the Northeast is an awesome experience. I've only been able to visit small pockets of it. I'd like to someday be able to take time to explore it more.

Thank you for sharing your experience of living on the East coast. Please keep me updated on the snow & what it's like. It's not for everyone, but someday I'd like to know what it's like living in it.

I have nothing against California. It's just time for a change & to experience something different. I don't feel a connection to LA, but some people do and I respect that. The last couple days have been beautiful in Ventura County. After the rain and the air is clear and crisp. You can see the islands from the Conejo Grade and it looks as though you can reach out and touch the mountains.

Happy Holidays!

Old 12-23-2007, 04:42 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times
What's a "footie team"?

Old 12-23-2007, 05:26 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,496,150 times
Quote:
This is the front of my condo in Mass. So far this has been the snowiest December in 30 years. But the air is clean and fresh and the people are the nicest I have every met anywhere. Small price to pay don't miss L.A.
I would take the cold and snow any day before I would take the California sun. If you can see the sun through the smog.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:12 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,623 times
Footie is Euro for soccer. Shout out to puffle.

For those who've never lived any place but L.A., there is a tradition in colder climes in America to concentrate on the examined life, culture, literature, what have you, when you are indoors for spells. It's far easier to polish off that first novel when you're not tempted with beach volleyball. This, of course, is more frequently found amongst the highly educated. My mid-west rocker friends said the colder climes lent themselves to other activities, some of which result in pregnancy. (Favorite line in the film Mystery, Alaska: "It's a cold climate, all we can do is play hockey and have sex.") All in all for trade-offs, we can quote Brian Wilson's "California Girls" which actually celebrates female persons from everywhere in the U.S.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:19 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakehorror View Post
Sorry, but I cant say anything good about snow. Lost two of my friends over the past 5 years and it was due to that beautiful white stuff.
Sorry to hear that. What happened.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:10 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
Hi, Puffle!!! I'm glad to see that you haven't abandoned the L.A. forum now that you're thousands of miles away! I love the snow picture, but I'm not sure I could live in it. I've lived here in So-Cal all my life, so living somewhere else that has actual seasons would be a huge shock for me. I do love the New England states for their culture and history!

Old 12-24-2007, 07:31 AM

630 posts, read 2,226,877 times
Hi Puffle,

Thought I would just jump in here .... lol. I'm also a CA girl (woman - born and raised 45+ years) and I just moved to the Boston area as well. Just moved in Oct of this year, Puffle and I get together for coffee, shopping and will be heading to a movie on Tuesday evening. I loved CA, back in the day when you could see the blue sky, be in the mountains and see the ocean, drive to the beach and the mountains in the same day. I lived and worked in LA County basically my whole life (heck I was born next to a dairy farm). I remember what CA was at one time ... but not anymore. CA will always be my home, but now I live here in MA. Oh and Puffle laughs at me because I haven't given up my heels (stilettos) and I don't get all bundled up. I am who I am and no matter where I live that will not change. I love looking out my windows at the trees all covered in snow ... it's amazing. Yes I get out there everyday to drive to work in it, but it's amazing ... the drive is so gorgeous I don't mind driving in the snow. In CA you notice the car washes all closed up for winter ... not here ... they are open all of the time. So my truck gets washed once a week ... and whether it be at work or at home it's parked in a parking garage.

Don't get me wrong if you like CA with all of it's positives and negatives then that is what works for you, but I have found such peace here that I didn't find in CA. Enjoy the sunshine and I'll enjoy the sunshine with the blue sky the shining white snow and air I can breath without seeing it ...

Best Wishes to all

Old 12-24-2007, 07:54 AM

18 posts, read 97,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Footie is Euro for soccer. Shout out to puffle.

For those who've never lived any place but L.A., there is a tradition in colder climes in America to concentrate on the examined life, culture, literature, what have you, when you are indoors for spells. It's far easier to polish off that first novel when you're not tempted with beach volleyball. This, of course, is more frequently found amongst the highly educated. My mid-west rocker friends said the colder climes lent themselves to other activities, some of which result in pregnancy. (Favorite line in the film Mystery, Alaska: "It's a cold climate, all we can do is play hockey and have sex.") All in all for trade-offs, we can quote Brian Wilson's "California Girls" which actually celebrates female persons from everywhere in the U.S.
I certainly agree with this post. Regarding rock music. The best hard rock in the world right now comes from Finland ( Nightwish etc). Incredible high quality bands from the land of ice and snow. What does LA have for hard rock but the joke band, Metal Skool and gangster type of garbage.

Weather isn't everything. The cold and snow are a perfect time to be indoors and work on one's art/music etc. Work on one's art or music and not have to deal with roommates....Yes, that is the life that I live in this quite affordable Midwestern locale that I reside in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles