Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 09:38 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,280,705 times

Advertisements

Right ... you don't miss L.A.

I HATE snow ... it totally sucks.

Did I mention that I HATE snow?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 10:04 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,164,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
Right ... you don't miss L.A.

I HATE snow ... it totally sucks.

Did I mention that I HATE snow?

Always nice to end on a positive note. Hi allthingsbeautiful. Welcome to CD. Glad you joined in. Hate is such a strong and negative word especially regarding an inanimate object such as frozen water. I don't miss L.A. I only miss authentic Mexican food. Today we are going into Boston to look at all the Christmas decorations, frozen ice sculptures in Boston Commom, the first public park in the U.S., and watch my son go ice skating on Frog Pond which is also in the park. Maybe take a drive into Maine tomorrow which is only an hour and a half away and see if we can get any lobster.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:19 AM

18 posts, read 97,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Always nice to end on a positive note. Hi allthingsbeautiful. Welcome to CD. Glad you joined in. Hate is such a strong and negative word especially regarding an inanimate object such as frozen water. I don't miss L.A. I only miss authentic Mexican food. Today we are going into Boston to look at all the Christmas decorations, frozen ice sculptures in Boston Commom, the first public park in the U.S., and watch my son go ice skating on Frog Pond which is also in the park. Maybe take a drive into Maine tomorrow which is only an hour and a half away and see if we can get any lobster.
I do get sick of the smugness that Californians can have about their state, therefore I had to chip in with the music comment. Weather is not everything. I like a nice cold snowy day to just sit and create. Also, I love spending cold days at Barnes and Noble or at the library. Intellectual pursuits rule!!

Old 12-24-2007, 12:21 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,592,446 times
Shout out to allthingsbeautiful as well. I'd say Scandinavia as a whole is responsible for the world's best hard rock/metal going lately, but not for the ice and snow theory. Scandinavian music fans are similar to the Detroit music fans of your beloved midwest insofar as they were isolated from the mainstream pop cities, and just kept going with their own taste, as did Detroit in the 60's and 90's with hard, hard rock and Motown r&b. They also have a working class that wants to let off steam (!) with great throbbing music on the weekends.

Back to L.A. We have pretty good "offshoot" hard rock bands, like Velvet Revolver or any of Perry Farrell's follies, offshoots of hyper-successful arena-rockers, but somehow the rich a-holes' problems tend to catch up with them in these roots' excursions bands as well. Of our local artists, I currently recommend Kanary (wild wimmen with great songs) who have many self-released cds on their eponymous website, and the revamped Little Caesar, playing again, who still sport one of the alltime great, strong lead singers.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:10 PM

18 posts, read 97,439 times
Thanks Fastfilm. I am going to check out the Kanary band. Yeah, I guess you are right about the Scandinavian bands. Classical music is huge in those countries and bands probably keep that influence, regardless of what the popular scene is doing.

Old 12-24-2007, 04:30 PM

479 posts, read 1,233,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthingsbeautiful View Post
I do get sick of the smugness that Californians can have about their state, therefore I had to chip in with the music comment. Weather is not everything. I like a nice cold snowy day to just sit and create. Also, I love spending cold days at Barnes and Noble or at the library. Intellectual pursuits rule!!
Great Post! I totally agree. While I live here (not a native) I've never felt that the sun totally "rose and set in California" like many people do.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:38 PM

413 posts, read 1,841,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
So sorry to hear about your friends. That's terrible. How did the snow kill them?
Car accident. Roads were covered in Black Ice and they lost control on a curve on the way to work at 5 A.M. Over-corrected and went off the opposite side of the road and hit a patch of trees. The car flipped on it's roof, 2 people in the backseat managed to kick out the back window and escape. The two survivors almost died of hypothermia as they waited for the ambulance. It was on a country road and nobody came for about a half hour after the crash. Funny (not really funny but, you know) thing is that Tom, one of the survivors, had just moved here 4 months prior from Fresno. Within 2 weeks he headed back home to Fresno.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:43 PM

413 posts, read 1,841,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgirl49 View Post
Great Post! I totally agree. While I live here (not a native) I've never felt that the sun totally "rose and set in California" like many people do.
I would rather do my writing on the beach at night than in my apartment during a snow storm.
I will admit that the long, dark winters have helped me tap into some pretty deep, twisted, areas of mind that made for some decent horror stories I have written. I still can't wait to get out of here though!

Old 12-24-2007, 06:23 PM

479 posts, read 1,233,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakehorror View Post
I would rather do my writing on the beach at night than in my apartment during a snow storm.
I will admit that the long, dark winters have helped me tap into some pretty deep, twisted, areas of mind that made for some decent horror stories I have written. I still can't wait to get out of here though!
I can understand how you feel and you should move if you feel that way. The only thing I was saying is that CA, while a great place, doesn't have a total monopoly on nice places to be. Everyone should go where they are happiest.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:26 PM

61 posts, read 257,553 times
i will admit that weather can make one introspective.. and perhaps more creative.

i can't see however that it's a smugness we have. i'm not smug about california, i think as a state we have a lot of valuable assests that we contribute which are often overlooked. but i can still appreciate what the other states have to offer.

i have experienced all over the US. and no offense. i hate snow just as much as when i'm in montreal, or switzerland, or parts of bavaria or austria!

snow sucks whether i'm in the US or abroad.. and that's why i live here. and more power to people who don't mind snow for a goodly portion of their year.

i'm not smug, i just know a climate that isn't suitable to me when i experience it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles