Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 05:00 AM

12 posts, read 19,459 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I will move to LA this year, but before that I have to know if California is a hot the way that people say she is. I maen, whether There is a winter? And how long it lasts? They really felt or is it just a rain and sun.
How mach degrees in the summer it can get? And in the winter?
For those who live there: Is it hard to live there because of the heat? Is the summer (July-August) is a extreme heat?

THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 08:04 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,420 times
Don't worry about it. Just bring a light sweater and you'll be fine 360 days out of the year. For anybody who has lived in the Humid NE or South...LA is nothing. I'd take SoCal summer and Winters over any other city outside of SoCal in the USA.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:29 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Yes, there is a winter of sorts. Well, last year we really did not have one but normally there is. You won't need a winter coat and it doesn't snow except in the mountains, but between December and March it can be down in the 50s and 60s during the way, with clouds and rain.

April-June are normally cool (60s-70s) and often cloudy in the mornings.

Summer is warm to hot (80s-90s, sometimes up to 100). Whether or not you consider that "extreme heat" is up to you. The more inland you are, the greater the heat. Nearer the coast, the temperature is almost always considerably lower.

Fall (Sept-Nov.) is the worst season in my opinion. It's still hot, very very dry, and can be windy. This is the fire season. I'm always so relieved when it finally starts raining again. Except last year, it never did. Hoping for a "real" SoCal winter this time.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:56 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Yes, there is a winter of sorts. Well, last year we really did not have one but normally there is. You won't need a winter coat and it doesn't snow except in the mountains, but between December and March it can be down in the 50s and 60s during the way, with clouds and rain.

April-June are normally cool (60s-70s) and often cloudy in the mornings.

Summer is warm to hot (80s-90s, sometimes up to 100). Whether or not you consider that "extreme heat" is up to you. The more inland you are, the greater the heat. Nearer the coast, the temperature is almost always considerably lower.

Fall (Sept-Nov.) is the worst season in my opinion. It's still hot, very very dry, and can be windy. This is the fire season. I'm always so relieved when it finally starts raining again. Except last year, it never did. Hoping for a "real" SoCal winter this time.
Temps in the 70sF ain't cool. It's warm. And saying 80sF is hot is a stretch too.

Generally, SoCal has two seasons: the cooler and gloomier season and the warm and dry season. Winters in SoCal tend to be rainy, although the past few winters there has been more sunny and warm weather instead of rain and coolness. CA is in a state of serious drought. Typically, winters will see a daytime high of 65F and nighttime low of 45F, and the sea breeze may make it feel cooler. Sometimes, especially with rain, it can get cooler. Otherwise in winter, when it isn't raining, skies are usually clear. There are even a few warm days in winter. In spring, nights get into the 50sF but otherwise there is little change, maybe a few more warm days. You get the marine layer (May Gray and June Gloom). Summer is dry and sunny with a typical high in the low 80sF and nighttime low of 65F. August-October can be really hot with the Santa Ana winds, but generally later into fall is really pleasant: sunny and dry with daytime highs of 75F and nighttime lows back in the 50sF. As you go inland, the weather is less mild, windy, and foggy. Inland areas tend to have colder winter nights with more frost, and hotter summer days.

That is SoCal. NorCal is not as warm or sunny.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:36 AM

172 posts, read 274,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy77 View Post
Hello,
I will move to LA this year, but before that I have to know if California is a hot the way that people say she is. I maen, whether There is a winter? And how long it lasts? They really felt or is it just a rain and sun.
How mach degrees in the summer it can get? And in the winter?
For those who live there: Is it hard to live there because of the heat? Is the summer (July-August) is a extreme heat?

THANKS
CA is a big state so it depends on which part. In LA, this past winter did not really happen. It was unusually hot all year, December/January/February. Two winters ago, however, it was very cold all winter and we even had a few severe tornado like windstorms that knocked out power and knocked down trees, power lines, and other stuff. LA rarely has any snow or rain. Typically, it's balmy and humid in winter. It becomes cold at night, high 30s to 40s.

This summer has been very hot and humid by CA standards. At night it cools down. Personally, I don't like too much heat or sun. I like having the 4 seasons, including rain and cold.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJudge View Post
CA is a big state so it depends on which part. In LA, this past winter did not really happen. It was unusually hot all year, December/January/February. Two winters ago, however, it was very cold all winter and we even had a few severe tornado like windstorms that knocked out power and knocked down trees, power lines, and other stuff. LA rarely has any snow or rain. Typically, it's balmy and humid in winter. It becomes cold at night, high 30s to 40s.

This summer has been very hot and humid by CA standards. At night it cools down. Personally, I don't like too much heat or sun. I like having the 4 seasons, including rain and cold.
Exactly!! That's why I asked it. The truth that I expected to hear that California has a cold winters.

Thank you guys anyway.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:48 PM

52,200 posts, read 52,629,348 times
The weather here in general is the reason why some people put up with all of the other negatives about So Cal.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:28 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy77 View Post
Exactly!! That's why I asked it. The truth that I expected to hear that California has a cold winters.

Thank you guys anyway.
Hi, Mandy:

Truth is, the state CAN have cold winters depending on where you are. Here in the Southland the only place it generally gets below freezing (32 F) at night in the winter is either in the mountains, in the high desert, or the remoter part of the inland valleys (Riverside, San Bernardino and SOME parts of the San Fernando Valley).

However, the far northern part of the state (inland above Redding) and the Sierras have a "real" winter for sure, but closer to Mountain State style than East Coast Style. Sure, snow will fall but then the next few days can be bright and sunny even if freezing cold.

The state boosters and popular media obscure the fact that California still is in the temperate zone and so, while we have mild winters, is not immune from weather that might interrupt people's plans. Hawaii is the only state in the Union in the tropics, where there are truly little differences between the seasons (unless you are at elevation.)

Last edited by mrsltd; 08-17-2014 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 08-17-2014, 02:47 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
Aren't you planning on living in Santa Monica or Marina del Rey?

Old 08-17-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Aren't you planning on living in Santa Monica or Marina del Rey?
Yap i will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles