Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 09:05 PM

8 posts, read 7,071 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My partner and I are moving west from the NYC area in late September for work. His company is located in Topanga Canyon, and we are looking to rent nearby.

Ideally, we are interested in renting a detached, two bedroom home, preferably with a yard.
Our budget limit is $2000 per month. We'd prefer a quiet neighborhood.

Renting for this price in Topanga itself seems out of the question, so I'm looking for some guidance on surrounding areas. I've found desirable homes in our price range in Encino and Chatsworth Lake Manor, but have found little information on the latter neighborhood. I am open to suggestions about other areas nearby, and appreciate the help!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 09:51 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz Jackson View Post
Chatsworth Lake Manor
A cool little area. A semi-rural feel, unincorporated, little twisty hill streets with a wide variety of densely gathered houses, from hippie funk to upgraded 1940's bungalows, even a geodesic dome is there. Good positioning to the 101 via Topanga or Valley Circle Blvd., and the 118 is close, and can get over to Simi via Box Canyon. Low crime, quiet. Many houses are on septic system and propane. High fire risk (as is Topanga and all the canyons). Some places have great views. People are friendly.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:12 PM

Thanks nightlysparrow - comforting to hear about the low crime rate. I had heard mixed opinions on that, but I'm guessing they would apply to the main area of Chatsworth itself. Thank you for the heads up about the fire risk - I knew this about Topanga, but didn't realize Chatsworth Lake Manor fell into this as well.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:34 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Quote:
Thanks nightlysparrow - comforting to hear about the low crime rate. I had heard mixed opinions on that, but I'm guessing they would apply to the main area of Chatsworth itself. Thank you for the heads up about the fire risk - I knew this about Topanga, but didn't realize Chatsworth Lake Manor fell into this as well.
The Lake Manor area doesn't have any place to hang out, and neighbors know each other, so not too much appeal for criminals. Plus, on the small streets, there's no place to park unseen.

As for fire, except for the places right on Lake Manor Dr. and the flatland around it, all the houses are in the hills, and the brush is dry, dry. Some of the streets are so small that you have to back out your car, no room to even do a 3-point turn. No big fire trucks could ever make it in there. It's THE common risk factor in the hills of SoCal, but in the unincorporated areas (like many canyons on the LA periphery) houses were built without codes and many "streets" are really just long driveways to get to private properties.

But Lake Manor is a gem, so I won't even mention the Santa Susana Fault line

Old 08-17-2014, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post

But Lake Manor is a gem, so I won't even mention the Santa Susana Fault line
Blizzards and hurricanes (after Sandy), no sweat...but earthquakes? Trust me, I'm already having nightmares!

Old 08-17-2014, 11:27 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
The chatsworth lake manor area is pretty idyllic, but secluded as previously mentioned. Nearby box canyon is the Valley version of topanga without the ocean breeze (read: HOT). Encino is completely different, but nice in its own right. I'm not sure $2000 would get you a detached house in either locale though.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
I'm not sure $2000 would get you a detached house in either locale though.
I've found one in both places, hence my current inquiry. Encino seems more practical, but the Lake Manor area seems to be the vibe we're looking for - then again, it may be too big a jump from city-living.

I know traffic is pretty much unavoidable, but which area would you say is an easier commute to Topanga?

Old 08-18-2014, 09:08 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
How far up the hill into Topanga will he be working?

I personally think Encino would be a much better commute. Westbound Ventura in the AM would be decent. I used to go east on Ventura in the AM and westbound seemed to be moving just fine most days. If you're up in Lake Manor/Box Cyn you're going to be slugging it down Topanga Blvd or maybe Valley Circle which while on a map looks to be a simple 'straight shot,' it's really slow during rush hours.

I would think you have a better chance of finding a place in Encino as well, there is just so much more inventory overall.

All that said...I really like Lake Manor a lot.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
How far up the hill into Topanga will he be working?
To my knowledge, the business is very close to Woodland Hills. He will be traveling alot for work via LAX, but I'm not sure the two areas in question differ much when it comes to commuting to the airport.

Lake Manor certainly sounds like a gem, but it seems like Encino might be the place for us commute/convenience wise.

On another note, I am an elementary educator and will be looking for a job once we're settled. Any advice or knowledge on the elementary schools in the area would be very helpful! I'd also of course be willing to travel (within reason) to other areas of the valley (Woodland, Reseda etc.)

Old 08-18-2014, 09:58 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
Quote:
To my knowledge, the business is very close to Woodland Hills. He will be traveling alot for work via LAX, but I'm not sure the two areas in question differ much when it comes to commuting to the airport.
Lake Manor would add significant time to a trip to LAX. You're just that much further north and west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles