Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 06:31 PM

12 posts, read 21,977 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am from Italy, in October I start a work for an IT company in Venice under h1b , I have a family with 2 children (3 and 6/7 years old), I am looking for rent in Santa Monica and Redondo Beach (I am looking a place with good school and not too far away from beach).

About commute from Santa Monica to Venice is not a problem.
But from Redondo to Venice how much time is really needed ? I have understand that 405 is to avoid. But I dont know if with another route is better.

thanks advance for any suggestions,

Pier

sorry for my english, I hope to improve it soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 06:47 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,535,779 times
An IT company in Venice, I'd assume it's going to be on Lincoln? Have you thought about renting in Marina Del Rey? Santa Monica is good too if you can afford it. Marina Del Rey isn't much pricier than Redondo and it's right next to Venice. Don't take the 405. PCH (highway 1) is just fine. It will slow to a crawl through the Venice area, but from Redondo up to Marina Del Rey, it's not too horrible. From Redondo, I'd say 30 minutes at worst.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:53 PM

5,640 posts, read 11,198,029 times
If I had to commute from Redondo Beach to Venice, it would be on a bicycle along the beautiful bicycle path on the beach. It would make every work day feel like a vacation day. No traffic, besides some other bicyclists or a small number of early morning joggers, walkers or rollerbladers. I can pedal my bike from Redondo to Venice in just over 30 minutes without working too hard.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:08 PM

The company is more near to beach.. (near Pacific Ave),
I think that 30 min could be fine,
you think that PCH then go left to Washington blvd and then Pacific could be a solution?

For location we are looking around Jefferson school in Redondo (north), or Roosevelt in Santa Monica.
Redondo for us seems better , a family with children...

Old 08-18-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
If I had to commute from Redondo Beach to Venice, it would be on a bicycle along the beautiful bicycle path on the beach. It would make every work day feel like a vacation day. No traffic, besides some other bicyclists or a small number of early morning joggers, walkers or rollerbladers. I can pedal my bike from Redondo to Venice in just over 30 minutes without working too hard.
Sure ? 30 minutes on bicycle ? I think that if I try it in the first two months is near 60 minutes for me but could be a way to get in shape without spend money in a gym and then go to 30 minutes..

Old 08-18-2014, 07:28 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,093,996 times
redondo beach to venice is probably 45-60 minutes each way by car. marina del rey is nice, but i wouldn't trust the public schools with your children. culver city may be a better option for schools, but a few miles from the ocean. santa monica is probably your best if you can afford it. surprisingly, venice has a decent public school (coeur d'alene), but you'd have to find the school boundaries and make sure you live within those, otherwise you might end up at a bad school.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:09 PM

4,644 posts, read 4,501,651 times
Would El Segundo be an option? Coastal climate and the schools will be decent.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:17 PM

8,174 posts, read 16,562,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Would El Segundo be an option? Coastal climate and the schools will be decent.
I second El Segundo which is much closer for driving and potentially biking. El Segundo has good schools as well. Do not underestimate LA traffic during rush hour no matter what Google maps or others may say here. It's gridlocked especially headed north toward LAX from the South Bay. 'All' main streets and freeways will be packed. This includes Hwy 1, the 405 and the smaller streets as well.

Bike riding is actually a really good idea given the proximity to the coast. There's a great bike path right along the beach that most likely moves faster than the cars. You wouldn't want to ride a bike on the streets at rush hour however - too many crazy drivers jumping in and out of lanes. I know someone who used to ride his 'road bike' to work until a bus hit him and it was the bus driver's fault! Accidents are pretty common also which can turn an hour commute into a much longer one, even on surface streets. Add a little rain and forget about it.

If you do decide on driving from Redondo Beach you'll want to get started earlier than most. I hope you're a morning person or plan to become one. With every ten minute you wait in the morning starting ~ 6:30AM traffic gets exceedingly worse until it almost stops. Remember, its not the 'distance' in LA that gets you but rather the volume of people (e.g. millions) all on the road at the same time. Some locals learn to avoid that madness in a number of creative ways like riding a bike, driving off peak hours, telecommuting or simply living closer to work.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 08-18-2014 at 11:26 PM..

Old 08-18-2014, 11:15 PM

What would you rather see every morning, something like this?

Or more of this?

Either can become yours. Guess which one the masses pick?

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 08-18-2014 at 11:23 PM..

Old 08-19-2014, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
redondo beach to venice is probably 45-60 minutes each way by car. marina del rey is nice, but i wouldn't trust the public schools with your children. culver city may be a better option for schools, but a few miles from the ocean. santa monica is probably your best if you can afford it. surprisingly, venice has a decent public school (coeur d'alene), but you'd have to find the school boundaries and make sure you live within those, otherwise you might end up at a bad school.
That one school in Venice looks like the only decent one. Then once kids get into secondary the whole area looks mediocre at best. Santa Monica does look better for schools. SM just seems so overpriced for the small, older places available in such tight quarters (small lots and streets). Not many families with young children can afford to live there, especially when considering 'somewhat' more affordable alternatives. But of course if folks have more $$$ there are some really nice neighborhoods and homes. It can get pretty ridiculous really fast unless one works in 'the Industry.'

Pier71, take a look at this School Performance Map and zoom into the areas in question. It will give you a general idea of the schools and surrounding districts.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 08-19-2014 at 12:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles