Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 04:20 PM

60 posts, read 60,048 times

Advertisements

So my wife and I (and dog) live in Studio City and both commute to Santa Monica for work.
We have a very large one bedroom apt that we rent for $1750, but would like to move close to SM
Anything between SM and WeHo would be better than the dreaded 405 parking lot

I've spent the last month looking for apartments in Sherman Oaks and on the West Side . So far I am losing my mind slowly, but surely. In SM (Westwood and other areas on the WestSide) they want $2000 for a crappy, tiny 1 bedroom. For a decent 2 bedroom they want $3000 or more. I know its a hot market, but I think that's just insane compared to only a few years ago. In Sherman Oaks, they want $2200+ for a decent 2 bedroom. I also think that's a bit high considering that just last year we almost rented a huge 2 bedroom with the "works" for $1900. I just use CL. Haven't signed up for WSR. Will probably do that in the fall

Here is my question(s):

Will rent go down just a bit towards Fall and Winter and I should wait right now or do I keep searching now and hope for some good luck? May be not all rent is this insane and I am just looking at the wrong properties? I am not looking for anything special. Just decent area. Secured building and no wall views from the apartment or first floors.
Seriously not sure what to do with these insane prices. I make good money, but buying is out of the question now and renting is insane as well. I paid $2K for a townhouse in Encino just 2 years ago, but unfortunately it was sold. And now for $2K all I get is a shack.

Should I may be wait longer? Winter? Next year?

Your input would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise I am going to lose my mind here

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 04:53 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
considering the tech sector on the westside is booming right now, i wouldn't expect rents to decrease anytime soon.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:47 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,103 times
I wouldn't expect a large decrease, but winter is usually the cheapest time to rent as it's not a big time for college kids to move and people want to be somewhere for the holidays. Have you thought about maybe Culver City? Palms? I'm surprised Studio City is cheaper than Sherman Oaks. I always thought that was the priciest of the City of LA Valley areas.

Use hot pads or padmapper or radpads dot com. I wouldn't pay for WSR

Old 08-20-2014, 05:50 PM

60 posts, read 60,048 times
Its a mix. Some parts are cheaper in SO and some parts are a lot more expensive. Depends on the area.

So is Palms, Mar Visa, Cheviot Hills, Culver City all decent areas? I don't know much about the area besides SM, Westwood, Brentwood, but Mar Vista, Palms, etc, would all work as well since my office is by SM airport. To be honest with you, I just don't know where to specifically look. Some parts look decent and then some parts look really old and ghetto. And the only reason I need a "safe" area and security in the building is because my wife walks the dog at night and she is kind of scared =)

Old 08-20-2014, 07:39 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times
santa monica is outrageously expensive right now. and you're right, rent in general in LA county has gotten out of control. it's sickening and i'm fed up with it. people are getting priced out of the westside and are starting to move into mid-city where you can get a one bedroom for 1200 still...

you can afford pricier tha mid-city but not santa monica, so you can do culver city, mar vista, west la. one bedrooms are still 1500 or so there.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:43 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,103 times
Oh yes, Palms is good and so is Mar Vista. We have a condo in MV and it's a nice area. We walk to lots of restaurants and happy hours and our yogurt place and grocery stores. The nice thing is having the windows open all the time. Even when the news in LA says heat wave, we have windows open and it's fine. In the winter months, it gets downright cold from the ocean breeze. There are very few days when we put on the AC and that's more for sleep time comfort than for necessity.

Plus those ocean breezes push the pollution back towards LA and the valleys so the air is better over here. Palms has a lot of rental places but they're nice and getting nicer. There are little pockets of hood, but it's maybe 1-4 buildings rather than 1-4 blocks. Stay away from Mar Vista gardens, that's a housing project.

If you're working by the airport, you will LOVE your commute, bike there if you want. There are some rentals near the Mar Vista rec center. It's a nice big park and maybe a mile or so east of the airport. Trader Joe's is right there too on Palms and Sepulveda.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:39 PM

300 posts, read 438,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
Oh yes, Palms is good and so is Mar Vista. We have a condo in MV and it's a nice area. We walk to lots of restaurants and happy hours and our yogurt place and grocery stores. The nice thing is having the windows open all the time. Even when the news in LA says heat wave, we have windows open and it's fine. In the winter months, it gets downright cold from the ocean breeze. There are very few days when we put on the AC and that's more for sleep time comfort than for necessity.

Plus those ocean breezes push the pollution back towards LA and the valleys so the air is better over here. Palms has a lot of rental places but they're nice and getting nicer. There are little pockets of hood, but it's maybe 1-4 buildings rather than 1-4 blocks. Stay away from Mar Vista gardens, that's a housing project.

If you're working by the airport, you will LOVE your commute, bike there if you want. There are some rentals near the Mar Vista rec center. It's a nice big park and maybe a mile or so east of the airport. Trader Joe's is right there too on Palms and Sepulveda.
agree nice area.
if you don't have older kids in school:
Mar Vista, Palms, westchesterr

Santa monica, Palisades, Venice === INSANE!!!

Old 08-20-2014, 09:53 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,799,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelyaSoCal View Post
Will rent go down just a bit towards Fall and Winter and I should wait right now or do I keep searching now and hope for some good luck? May be not all rent is this insane and I am just looking at the wrong properties? I am not looking for anything special. Just decent area. Secured building and no wall views from the apartment or first floors.

Seriously not sure what to do with these insane prices. I make good money, but buying is out of the question now and renting is insane as well. I paid $2K for a townhouse in Encino just 2 years ago, but unfortunately it was sold. And now for $2K all I get is a shack.

Should I maybe wait longer? Winter? Next year?

Your input would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise I am going to lose my mind here

Thanks!
After seeing the traffic into the Westside on the 405N, don't hold your breath, competition will be stiff, typically there is a low in the fall winter, I don't expect that this year. Last year was a brutal winter for many parts of the country, some of those people will move before winter. Then you have 100,000 people come in for the Rose Bowl and experience the sunny winter. Western Mar Vista homes are $1M tear down, those homes are effectively off the rental market. It doesn't take a lot of people to effect the market. All you can hope for is an earthquake.

I have a 2 bedroom 2bath condo in a 150 unit gated complex between DTLA and Pasadena and they accept dogs. My mortgage is a less than rent. Units have either a hill, courtyard, or city view. People use to call it hood and ghetto, now they call it gentrifying, I call it my giving tree. That is how you save for a down payment. Saving a couple hundred a month is nothing, that is what you burn in gas, you each need to save at least $1000 a month towards a downpayment.

You may think you make decent money but unless you hedge against inflation, a leveraged inflated asset will outpace your income.

To make you feel even worse my friend has been renting in brentwood for $1300 a month for over 10 years.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:20 AM

1,253 posts, read 2,945,629 times
"$1450 / 1br - Granite Counters! Updated Apartment! Walk to New Ralphs! Wood Floors! (Sherman Oaks)"

Granite Counters! Updated Apartment! Walk to New Ralphs! Wood Floors!

Old 08-21-2014, 01:48 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
"$1450 / 1br - Granite Counters! Updated Apartment! Walk to New Ralphs! Wood Floors! (Sherman Oaks)"

Granite Counters! Updated Apartment! Walk to New Ralphs! Wood Floors!
Crappy standard LA layout, small square footage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles