U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2014, 08:41 PM

3 posts, read 3,646 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I am looking to move to LA from Boulder, CO. I was looking at a music production school in Burbank that is most likely going to be where I end up. I have like $1200 a month for rent but id really like to keep it closer to $1000 if possible. Anyways which neighborhoods near there would be a good fit for a early 20's single male? I don't mind living in a studio, but I have a dog. I own a car but am big on public transportation if its faster than driving (spent some time in brooklyn).

What types of areas should i look for apartments in? I would like to be somewhere with a lot of bars and young people but honestly my focus is school and since i will only be there for 9 months to a year its not too important to me.

Thanks for taking your time to read this and super thank you to the awesome people that respond
-BROON
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 11:27 PM

3,190 posts, read 2,492,425 times
I'm no Burbank expert, but you should probably be able to find a studio apartment for $1000. The problem will be your dog. Most buildings don't allow pets and ones that do charge higher rent, require a larger deposit, and tend to be away from the nightlife. As for specific neighborhoods, I can't help you there.
And public transportation in LA is MUCH slower than driving. Not to mention it's not very good.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:34 PM

39 posts, read 152,521 times
Burbank is generally a very safe area. It's thought of as more suburb/family oriented than some other areas of LA. However, there are plenty of young people your age. Don't think its anywhere near an "oldie retirement" place.

Since you will live and go to school in Burbank, traffic should not be an issue for you on a day to day basis. You can technically live anywhere in Burbank. IMO you should stick to one of two areas: downtown Burbank (around Magnolia & San Fernando Rd, on the "east" side of the 5 frwy) or closer to NoHo (around Vineland & Burbank Blvd).

Downtown Burbank: several gyms, plenty of bars (Barneys Beanery, Buffalo Wild Wings, Burbank Bar & Grille, Gordon Biersh, etc), several movie theaters, lots of food options, lots of people watching as people come out to on San Fernando Rd to walk around, easy access to 5 freeway. There are also lots of apartments in this area. If you live here, everything should be within walking distance, including grocery stores.

NoHo: I'll admit I am not too familiar with this area, but it is up and coming from what I hear. It is a little more gritty than Downtown Burbank, but there seems to be plenty of people out and about. There are also lots of little dive bars and such. You would also be very close to the Metro Red line, which is very convenient for getting to Downtown LA, Hollywood, & even Koreatown, giving you more options to choose from and avoiding the hassle of driving in LA & paying for traffic. I would choose to live within walking distance of the Metro to fully take advantage of this.

Any other areas of Burbank I would consider to be more "suburban". Being an older 20 year old myself, I would stick to these areas myself at this stage in my life.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-26-2014, 11:34 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,692,766 times
yeah live in Burbank which is in your budget, great area and safe. you'd be close to downtown LA and hollywood which has all the nightlife you'll need, though burbank itself has a few things also

Old 08-28-2014, 02:59 PM

3 posts, read 3,646 times
thanks guys, north hollywood seems to be like a better fit for me. I've lived in suburban areas and thats not too much my scene.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:33 PM

1,451 posts, read 1,421,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broon View Post
thanks guys, north hollywood seems to be like a better fit for me. I've lived in suburban areas and thats not too much my scene.
north hollywood over Burbank? lol

Old 08-29-2014, 01:11 AM

1,198 posts, read 2,532,857 times
Finding a place off craigslist is an option. That's how I found my place in Burbank when I lived there in '11. A tad cheaper than large corp run apts.

I myself preferred Burbank over noho. Loved being so close to everything but being able to relax and sleep in a quiet area. Noho seemed too grungy and I accidentally went to a wal mart in panorama city once looking for a fresh prince DVD and freaked out lol.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:06 PM

39 posts, read 152,521 times
I hope I didn't give off the impression that Burbank was boring or anything. I wouldn't say that NOHO is any less suburban than Burbank. Noho is definitely more grungy. It's also more accessible (IMO) to other areas if you are walking-distance and take advantage of the red line metro.

I myself live in Burbank and find it great. But I also am not single and out looking to bar hop or meet people every night/weekend anymore. But I bet one could enjoy being single in both areas.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:14 PM

68 posts, read 137,028 times
I frequent my friends in NoHo and Burbank. NoHo seems like a better fit for him since he's in his 20's (NoHo has one of the youngest demographics in LA). There are suburban parts, but near the Metro Red line (subway), it's definitely very walkable and more urban.

Burbank is blah, quite frankly. I don't hate it, I don't love, but I can take it or leave it. NoHo tends to have less of the franchises and more of the individuality from the locals.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:42 AM

25,262 posts, read 15,289,095 times
Burbank is a very nice area.

I wouldn't classify it necessarily as a suburb.

It's actually it's own city.

I live in North Hollywood area so I am very close to Burbank.

Burbank actually has a lot of independent stores and restaurants and other businesses . It's definitely a town that supports their small businesses.

There are some chains, but the small independent places actually outpace the chains.

I've also been noticing a lot more trendy branches of places opening there. Tender Greens, Lemonade ,etc.

I like NoHo arts and enjoying seeing it grow and new places opening, but size wise NoHo arts is tiny compared to burbank.

In Burbank you can pretty much have any type of cuisine, get any shopping down ,etc without having to leave.
It's not some stereotypical suburb where you have to drive long stretches to get anywhere.

I can think of a lot of chain places in NoHo Arts, -Panda Express, Daphnes, Panera , Starbucks, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles