Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2014, 11:49 PM

135 posts, read 285,217 times

Advertisements

anyone have any tips for cheaper tickets to see the la phil at disney hall? i've never been, and they're doing some of my faves this year. but the cheapest price for most of the concerts i want to see is $83! kinda steep. any tips?

i searched the obvious groupon/livingsocial/amazonlocal sites and found nothing. any other ideas?

(i did see their $20 page which is great but doesn't cover the specific ones i want to see.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 08:28 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Did you try for the tickets issued to those who come 2 hours before the performance? No guarantee that you get in, though. Special Offers | LA Phil

Old 09-10-2014, 10:04 PM

135 posts, read 285,217 times
just to update this thread for anyone else who googles for this, buying a subscription is the easiest way to get a discount. you can buy a set of 4 or more concerts and the entry level ticket price drops to about $50 each.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:16 AM

671 posts, read 1,190,469 times
And the reason there are some cheap tix available is because the County of LA owns the land and pays for the operations of the building, while the operating company raises its own funds for the programming and all costs of production. Anyway, as part of the deal, LA County REQUIRES that there be some form of "cheap tix" availability. The same arrangement for the Hollywood Bowl, another LA County owned and maintained site. Because the Bowl seats so many more people, the Bowl (for LA Phil and Hollywood Bowl Orchestra concerts, not the other stuff at the Bowl) has a LOT of really affordable tickets, but those seats are far from the stage, but for Fireworks concerts, being farther from the stage is better. Also, LOTS of tickets (not that many for the best selling concerts like Fireworks or really good program or one with well-known performers that sells lots of tickets or sell out) handed out by the County departments to citizens. Sometimes participants of group therapy at LA County facilities are provided with free tickets, usually once a year for a Bowl concert (ones that don't sell out) to patients to have their family join them and lift their spirits at a Bowl concert that they otherwise could not afford. Other County departments will also get an allotment of tickets, again for concerts that have lots of seating still available, either County employees on occasion, but often to citizens who may have contact with County facilities like those with handicaps or disablities, and others in similar situations. Many do attend, and they do have a good time enjoying the pre-concert and concert, for they otherwise would not attend Bowl concerts. They view it as quite an adventurous good time. I think the free tix are rotated to different departments and services such that usually the departments only get the opportunity to get tickets about once a year.

Last edited by HarryKerryJr; 09-14-2014 at 04:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles