Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 02:28 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times

Advertisements

I hope this was a joke as it is not funny.

Regarding the concern over grass mitigating heat increases, I think that's a red herring given that glass and concrete have a much greater impact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 04:18 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post
Check out Turf Terminators - they claim to do the job for the rebate at no cost to the homeowner.
I had heard of it before, but just read this. Pretty interesting
L.A. company saving water by offering drought-tolerant lawns for free

Looks like it's run by a New York based Investment company and they say they can do the work with the rebate because of economies of scale. The competitors don't have much good things to say...but of course they are competitors. They say they aren't using Native plants,etc..

I doesn't look like they do the artificial grass stuff ..but more the stuff that looks 'native'.

These are some examples of what it looks like...looks like a lot of it is using those rocks.
Gallery | Turf Terminators

I'd rather have the fake grass probably than those things...but at the end of the day I guess it does save water,etc..

On yelp..it seems the people that actually got the service done gave good reviews. The bad reviews seemed to be people that said they couldn't get it scheduled or they didnt service their area for some reason (probably outside of city limits,etc.)

Turf Terminators - Santa Monica - Santa Monica, CA | Yelp

Old 09-17-2014, 02:51 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Freedom View Post
I do see Exitus's point, though.

Here's a post I wrote on the topic: http://www.city-data.com/forum/33345508-post15.html

Excerpted here:
I'm concerned.
What also concerns me about it, is that municipalities do not seem to take this into account when approving new residential development. We are building, building, building more places for people to live. More people == more water consumption. They'll keep adding people to the point that you won't be able to have a yard or a pool anymore. I'm doing my part by having drought tolerant landscaping (minus my grassy area for the kids and our pool).. we collect rainwater. I flush every other poop (just kidding).

if I needed to drain my pool for the summer because of a severe drought, I'll do it. If I have to drain my pool so that we can have 50,000 more people squeezed into my town.. I'm gonna get upset.
This post could fit right in to a Las Vegas forum! Same dilemma here!

Many took advantage of being paid to replace their grass here, took the money and are now stuck with desert lawns!

About every 6th house you'll see someone who refused the money and continues to enjoy their nice green lawn, and I applaud them for it! Translated: less water to add more houses to the Valley!

Don't let that happen to L.A.! They'll merely take that water savings and build more houses and L.A. will eventually start resembling Las Vegas or Phoenix!

Old 09-17-2014, 09:28 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,958,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

Many took advantage of being paid to replace their grass here, took the money and are now stuck with desert lawns!

About every 6th house you'll see someone who refused the money and continues to enjoy their nice green lawn, and I applaud them for it! Translated: less water to add more houses to the Valley!

Don't let that happen to L.A.! They'll merely take that water savings and build more houses and L.A. will eventually start resembling Las Vegas or Phoenix!
OTOH, if everybody who lived in the arid and semi-arid West but hated the native vegetation enough to insist on a "nice green lawn" left we wouldn't have a water-supply OR an overpopulation problem.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:06 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

Build more houses in LA..where ?

Vacant land is very limited in LA , it's a lot different than Vegas or Phoenix .

In Florida I see them building big developments , it's kind of weird to just see so much vacant land being developed .

There is something exciting about it too..
, but also sad to see them clearing the land of trees ,etc.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:09 PM

274 posts, read 1,218,552 times
Would you mind sharing who you used for your grass...we are thinking of doing a ten foot by 15 foot square and do not know where to start.
Thank you!

Old 04-20-2015, 09:33 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
I used one of these programs and got a little over 1k back on the installation of my turf

Old 04-20-2015, 10:26 AM

401 posts, read 767,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Build more houses in LA..where ?

Vacant land is very limited in LA , it's a lot different than Vegas or Phoenix .

In Florida I see them building big developments , it's kind of weird to just see so much vacant land being developed .

There is something exciting about it too..
, but also sad to see them clearing the land of trees ,etc.

Dude, are you asleep?
There are thousands of new condos and small lot sub-divisions going in all over the place!!

Here's an example:
More Half-Million-Dollar Townhouses Headed For Highland Park - DevelopmentWatch - Curbed LA

and another a few blocks away:
Highland Park Gasps at Proposal For $500k Townhouses - GentrificationWatch - Curbed LA

and some more, about 2 miles away:
NELA Union Modern Homes in Glassell Park is Sold Out | The Eastsider LA

one (of many) in Silver Lake:
Big Mixed-User Headed to Non-Hip Stretch of South Silver Lake - DevelopmentWatch - Curbed LA

Been out towards Santa Clarita lately? Thousands of new homes on previously undeveloped land.

More people == more water consumption. People gotta take showers. People gotta wash clothes and dishes. People gotta flush.

Unbridled development needs to stop.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:09 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
I agree with the above post.
Some houses here that had nice lawns now have gravel with a few plants here and there, it looks like crap.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:07 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Well if more people lived in condos, they'd use less water as there would be no lawns for them to water. Great to hear that urbanization of LA increases.

And it is good to hear many are tearing up their lawns and replacing it with native vegetation. LA is a DESERT. Lush green lawns do not belong in the arid West. Not only does it take up a lot of water to water the lawns, lawn mowers use up gas and increase greenhouses gas emissions that contribute to the climate change that is hitting the West hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles