Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 03:21 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

Has anyone taken up DWP/the city on the offer for money to replace their grass?

LADWP Now Pays Customers $3 a Square Foot to Replace Their Lawn

I have a lawn that I frankly have been terrible at maintaining and I don't water it.

I'm just wondering if not having the grass would affect resell values since I'm considering possibly selling in the future.

Water a lawn seems like a waste of water and effort , although I do agree green grass can look nice.

What is everyones thoughts on this , will most people eventually go this route with our water situation anyways?

I've also seen people with the 'fake grass' and the new stuff they have looks much more real than that astroturf of previous decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 05:01 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
I'm in the process of getting a quote on turf replacement in my backyard. I was told that the ladwp rebate covers about 40% of the total cost. I'll have more info later this week.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:25 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,852,365 times
I want to know the implication of this super-drought on SFR front setback.

It seems ridiculous to enforce a front yard requirement and encourage people to maintain rock and cactus gardens in front of their houses.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:18 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
I'm in the process of getting a quote on turf replacement in my backyard. I was told that the ladwp rebate covers about 40% of the total cost. I'll have more info later this week.
Interesting. That would be great if you could report back on this thread when you have more info.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:03 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
I wish people would not do this. The city is hot enough -- removing lawns will make it hotter. And a hotter city means more AC use, so ultimately grass removal increases carbon emissions.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:51 PM

401 posts, read 767,712 times
my neighbor did this in Pasadena. He installed a native plant garden in place of some haggard St Augustine. In my opinion, it was an improvement, but many other neighbors disliked it. We've installed over $20k worth of native and other drought tolerant plants in our yard. It will be a long time before we get a financial return on this investment, but I like the look of the plants, and it makes me feel like I'm helping the water situation in some way (esp since we're not removing the pool or the 10,000 sq ft of lawn that we have)

As for resale value, grass is a safer bet. Not everyone likes the look of a drought tolerant front yard, but the ones who do.. know they can easily rip out the grass and plant... so for resale, stick with grass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I wish people would not do this. The city is hot enough -- removing lawns will make it hotter. And a hotter city means more AC use, so ultimately grass removal increases carbon emissions.
I'm not sure this is true. If you remove the grass and replace it with black asphalt... I could see your point.. but if you replace it with drought tolerant plants and maybe even trees (grass doesn't like shade) .. and those trees help shade the house.. it will likely be an improvement in AC use

Old 09-10-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Freedom View Post
my neighbor did this in Pasadena. He installed a native plant garden in place of some haggard St Augustine. In my opinion, it was an improvement, but many other neighbors disliked it. We've installed over $20k worth of native and other drought tolerant plants in our yard. It will be a long time before we get a financial return on this investment, but I like the look of the plants, and it makes me feel like I'm helping the water situation in some way (esp since we're not removing the pool or the 10,000 sq ft of lawn that we have)

As for resale value, grass is a safer bet. Not everyone likes the look of a drought tolerant front yard, but the ones who do.. know they can easily rip out the grass and plant... so for resale, stick with grass.

I'm not sure this is true. If you remove the grass and replace it with black asphalt... I could see your point.. but if you replace it with drought tolerant plants and maybe even trees (grass doesn't like shade) .. and those trees help shade the house.. it will likely be an improvement in AC use
Your point about shade trees is taken. However, when I walk past areas with mostly dirt and CA native plants, I usually don't feel a temperature change, though when I walk past a golf course in the evening hours I sense a temperature drop of at least several degrees.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:43 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,958,053 times
Quote:
West LA is hot? And you've neglected to figure in the carbon cost of building dams, transferring water over mountains, and treating the water to high-quality standards so it can be dumped on those urban lawns. If you want to use plants to cool your environment, there are much better alternatives than irrigated turf. I wish my city would pay homeowners to get rid of lawns.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
West LA is hot? And you've neglected to figure in the carbon cost of building dams, transferring water over mountains, and treating the water to high-quality standards so it can be dumped on those urban lawns. If you want to use plants to cool your environment, there are much better alternatives than irrigated turf. I wish my city would pay homeowners to get rid of lawns.
One of my parents has had family roots in Los Angeles since the 1930's. That was back before Los Angeles was anywhere nearly as congested as it is as of late. Over the course of my life, I've seen this city grow to an unreasonable size, given we have millions more people living here than what Mr. Mulholland ever considered when designing our fresh water conduits. That said, I do not believe I need to suffer simply because hordes of late-comers want to crowd in here, all the whilst expecting the rest of us to give up lawns, cars, etc.

How about the city instead pay people to settle elsewhere, so that those of us who are not newbies can get at least a little enjoyment out of our landscapes, cars, etc.?

Old 09-12-2014, 05:31 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
Quote:
How about the city instead pay people to settle elsewhere, so that those of us who are not newbies can get at least a little enjoyment out of our landscapes, cars, etc.?
Maybe all of us white folk should go back to Europe while we're at it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles