Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 06:54 AM

528 posts, read 866,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
You find those Cambodian-owned donut shops that dot the LA metro at one-block intervals to be unaffordable? I can get a baker's dozen+ for around five bucks without much trouble. They're often open 24hrs to boot.

On the other hand, people from other parts of the country have a soft spot for Dunkin' Donuts so I'm sure they'll find a niche. Plus, I've heard that many go for their coffee.

I remember when Krispy Kreme had the same long lines, even without social media. Many of those locations went out of business when the novelty wore off.

Until recently, I didn't realize that LA is the donut capital of the US.
California period could be the donut capitol or bakers capitol of America. Seems like in some parts there many pie places also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 06:57 AM

12,382 posts, read 8,134,444 times
I guess the Cambodians who escaped the killing fields, the ones who took Wincell's market share are aging and their kids aren't going into the family business so now the big franchises are making a comeback.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:44 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,564,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Yeah, no. I've seen this analogy before, but its a desperate East Coast fail Dunkin is inferior to almost EVERY donut shop in LA. The burger equivalent would be AM/PM. Discovered on the floorboard of your car. Upon returning from a 2 week vacation.
You just described the taste of In and Out Burger - - when it is handed to you by the cashier. Maybe sitting on the floorboard of your car would improve it.

Once again, it's where you come from and what is nostalgic to you.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:49 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
You just described the taste of In and Out Burger - - when it is handed to you by the cashier. Maybe sitting on the floorboard of your car would improve it.

And again, no.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:50 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,133,689 times
Who cares about chain donut shops anyway, or even donuts for that matter? Talk about East Coast hype regarding DD. Donuts have absolutely no nutritional value whatsoever - none. They are contributors to diabetes, obesity, and heart disease. We are an obese nation.

Lay off the garbage food America. And in terms of what not to eat, donuts would be squarely on top of the list.

DD does have good coffee but there are other places which serve that too.

Let the hateful remarks begin!

Old 09-13-2014, 10:50 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,487,125 times
hello? Tell me a place where you DON'T have to stand in line in. There's just a lot more people these days. People just love to have sex and popping out babies by the dozen

Old 09-13-2014, 10:52 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,441,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I guess the Cambodians who escaped the killing fields, the ones who took Wincell's market share are aging and their kids aren't going into the family business so now the big franchises are making a comeback.
I don't know, I still see a lot of independent donut shops. It would be interesting to know though how many may have closed in the past years. I had a friend in college that was Cambodian and the donut shop helped put her through college, she did work there sometimes but she didn't enjoy it. She went on to become a pharmacist so she's likely not doing shifts at the donut shop anymore.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:18 AM

1,626 posts, read 4,012,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
hello? Tell me a place where you DON'T have to stand in line in.
No lines at the Krispy Kreme one block away. There's a freaking bouncer type dude standing at the front door of the DD preventing people from jumping the line LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Donuts have absolutely no nutritional value whatsoever - none. They are contributors to diabetes, obesity, and heart disease. We are an obese nation.
Let me guess, fine french pastries are OK but fast food is 'evil'? Everything is fine in moderation. If I want to have a donut every couple months I don't think it's going to give me diabetes.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:00 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,481,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post

Better than having your a$$ handed to you by someone dueling you at dawn for ill-placed hyperbole.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:53 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Who cares about chain donut shops anyway, or even donuts for that matter? Talk about East Coast hype regarding DD. Donuts have absolutely no nutritional value whatsoever - none. They are contributors to diabetes, obesity, and heart disease. We are an obese nation.

Lay off the garbage food America. And in terms of what not to eat, donuts would be squarely on top of the list.

DD does have good coffee but there are other places which serve that too.

Let the hateful remarks begin!
...not everyone is a fatty. A donut now and again is not going to give a healthy person diabetes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles