Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2006, 10:24 AM

97 posts, read 646,714 times

Advertisements

any thoughts on the LAPD.I think they are underappreciated myself.If they could go out and crack the heads of some of the gangsters the city would improve a great deal.It seems like everytime you turn around from the national media to the Times someone is giving the police a bad rap.Myself I think some of the gangsters in the valley need a good rodney king special to help them see the era of their ways and improve the city for the law abiding citizens.I would like to say to any LAPD member your doing a good job and if the community would support you more things would improve.Appreciate your police department people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2006, 01:20 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgefundpirate View Post
any thoughts on the LAPD.I think they are underappreciated myself.If they could go out and crack the heads of some of the gangsters the city would improve a great deal.It seems like everytime you turn around from the national media to the Times someone is giving the police a bad rap.Myself I think some of the gangsters in the valley need a good rodney king special to help them see the era of their ways and improve the city for the law abiding citizens.I would like to say to any LAPD member your doing a good job and if the community would support you more things would improve.Appreciate your police department people.
Interesting thought... until one remembers that Rodney King received a settlement of $3.8 million in his lawsuit against the City of Los Angeles. In addition, the LAPD's "Rampart Scandal" cost the city around $125 million. As a taxpayer, my taxes help to pay for the salaries of the LAPD officers as well as any lawsuits that result from a little "overzealous" policing and departmental corruption. I'd much rather see my tax dollars go towards increasing the salaries and benefits that good LAPD officers receive as opposed to paying for the mistakes of a few not-so-good ones.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:05 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgefundpirate View Post
any thoughts on the LAPD.I think they are underappreciated myself.
They seem to believe so as well, ergo the DROP program which allows them to double dip in the salary bowl.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:53 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
I never had any interactions with the LAPD so I can't say I appreciate or disapprove of the department.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:00 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,638 times
Having experienced law enforcement in many different cities, states, and countries, I can equivocally say that the LAPD are top notch arseholes.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:14 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
They seem to believe so as well, ergo the DROP program which allows them to double dip in the salary bowl.
Yeah those types of programs don't help their cause for sure.

I understand the importance of having police for sure, but on the other hand I don't think we should be bending over whenever they demand something.

Of course it's important to have police, but one idea is perhaps we wouldn't need so many police or have as much crime if we had a better education system.

I don't know if it's true LAPD is underappreciated.

I do know that when my house was broken into a couple years ago they didn't handle it well at all and made me feel like the criminal .

Another big disadvantage of living in the city of L.A is that there is always bigger fish to fry..homocide cases ,etc. And even those don't get solved nearly as often as they should.

Another issue is the District Attorney , as sometimes LAPD does want to pursue criminal activity but the D.A screws it up.

I'm sure there are a lot of great officers out there, but the way the whole bureaucracy is setup is screwed up just like the city in general.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:10 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,251 times
The LAPD seems to have had more than it's share of problems - wrongful death payouts, etc. Having said that, you couldn't pay me to do their job and I'm glad they are there.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:18 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
The LAPD seems to have had more than it's share of problems - wrongful death payouts, etc. Having said that, you couldn't pay me to do their job and I'm glad they are there.
It does seem like the LAPD is becoming militarized.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:33 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
It does seem like the LAPD is becoming militarized.
Becoming? That happened under Ed Davis in the 60s after the Watts riots along with the community policing. Other departments are just catching up with SIS, SWAT, Metro crime suppression, K9 search, CRASH...... The North Hollywood bank robbery with the armored hoods 20 years ago when the patrol cops could barely hold a perimeter until SWAT arrived beefed up their militarization even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles