U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 08:32 AM

3,442 posts, read 2,142,989 times

Advertisements

I saw on TV this morning that Comrade Brown signed a law that we all have to pay a surcharge on our car registration for these bicycle lanes until 2025. Note the car owners pay, not the bicycle people.
Oh the joys of living in a Communist controlled state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 09:54 AM

596 posts, read 784,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I saw on TV this morning that Comrade Brown signed a law that we all have to pay a surcharge on our car registration for these bicycle lanes until 2025. Note the car owners pay, not the bicycle people.
Oh the joys of living in a Communist controlled state.

I understand what you mean. When I lived in California and filed my taxes, there was a box on the form that I would check. It indicated that I was a bicycle owner, and my taxes got reduced quite a bit because I would no longer have to pay money to maintain the roads/highways in the state.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:57 AM

11,424 posts, read 13,972,769 times
Another unenforceable law. Idiot politicians.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:48 PM

84 posts, read 83,611 times
its too bad that so many of you free people are forced to live in "communist" California. If this was a real free state we'd be able to kill bicyclist with our cars & than have its family pay for damage to our cars.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:02 AM

25,413 posts, read 24,169,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pito_Chueco View Post
I understand what you mean. When I lived in California and filed my taxes, there was a box on the form that I would check. It indicated that I was a bicycle owner, and my taxes got reduced quite a bit because I would no longer have to pay money to maintain the roads/highways in the state.
How does this make sense? People who ride bicycles don't also drive cars? Because you own a bike, your next 60-mile trip to see your brother in Whereverville, or your 100-mile trip up to the vacation house or 35-mile trip to the beach and so on will definitely be on a bicycle? No person who owns a bike commutes to work? Or ever needs to drive to a far-off store or to visit friends and so on?

My sons own bikes. They travel about an eighth of a mile at a time on them. I used to own a bike. I used it probably once a month. And commuted to work (not on a bike, I promise you) 90 minutes each way for 18 months.

Also, how does owning a bike, and even being an active cyclist, mean there is no road maintenance? We've seen how much money has to go toward creating and maintaining bike lanes and the like...but then again, I'm trying to make sense, which seems to be leaving me the odd woman out here.

This reminds me of the old "I don't have kids, so none of my taxes should have to go toward the schools" argument. Ermmm, so those people never went to school themselves? Lawmaking logic is fascinating.

Last edited by JerZ; 09-29-2014 at 02:12 AM..

Old 09-29-2014, 02:03 AM

25,413 posts, read 24,169,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcimos View Post
its too bad that so many of you free people are forced to live in "communist" California. If this was a real free state we'd be able to kill bicyclist with our cars & than have its family pay for damage to our cars.
What is a "free state?"

Old 09-29-2014, 03:58 PM

10 posts, read 5,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Many times, but this stretch of road was curved, and the guy on the bike wasn't visible until I was about five feet from him.
I glanced quickly in my rear view mirror to see if I could move over to the lane to my left.
Luckly no one was in that lane.
Had there been, I couldn't have moved over, and would have been less than three feet from the guy on the bike.
If this stupid law is to work, bike riders are going to have to stay to the extreme right side of the bike lane.
For one thing, the bike lanes are much to wide.
They could be narrowed by two feet, and there would still be room for a bike.
I really think someone is going to get hurt, if not seriously injured because of this stupid piece of legislation.
What is needed is to narrow the bike lanes, and educate the bikers to stay to the right of the bike lane, not in the middle, or left hand edge of the bike lane that is closest to traffic.
Bike lanes are not enough.
People on bikes need to understand they are under the same road rules as vehicles.
When a vehicle is stopped at a light, or stop sign, the same laws hold true for bikes.
The operator of the bike is supposed to stop and move when it is safe to do so, and in the case of a traffic light, wait until they have the green light before moving forward.
How many times have you been driving your vehicle, then stopped at a stop sign or traffic light, and see some jerk on a bike wiz right through the stop.
That is a dangerous practice, but it happens all the time.
No wonder bike and vehicle accident are on the rise.
Stupid, stupid,stupid bike riders.
Bob.

Bob.
Bob, you move over when passing farm vehicles on the road. Why do you need to crowd a bicyclist? The 3' rule is for roads with a speed of 35mph or greater. Would you blow by children walking on the side of the road with less than 3'? Would you drive 75mph by your relatives at less than 3'? If you would, then you probably need to go in for some counseling.

Driving within the law and driving with courtesy and respect is what all drivers should aspire to do. Unfortunately, many drivers follow the "Goofy" cartoon "Motor Mania".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZAZ_xu0DCg

They think they own the whole road and all the things anywhere near the road. Watch what your driving emulates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles